Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 07:45 AM

946 posts, read 1,135,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I am one who did that, but I came back.

For as liberal as Oregon claims to be they don't like people from CA. Still very xenophobic up there. People are polite but not friendly, and once you mentioned CA(and Southern CA) you could get anything from an eye roll to a derogatory comment.

And Oregon isn't all that cheap either.

I also know several people who left CA(some for TX) and came back.

It's not so "one way" as you make it sound.
Thx for mentioning your story. I left CA 2 years ago for Houston TX and it's been a hard adjustment but good for business. But I do plan to come back. I can tell you that the people here in Houston are very courteous and genuinely nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 10:33 AM

745 posts, read 1,284,480 times
Having been born in OC and watched it double in population, and having moved away two years ago to an extreme change (Montana), my description of it from a different thread is appropriate here:

Quote:
I have yet to find elsewhere that same energetic, diverse, cosmopolitan vibe that exists in OC (and I just mean in the sense of diverse people getting along with diverse people). It's like everyone is packed onto a huge cruise ship going to the same place and having fun despite the crowds.
That being said, we struggled in a constant grind to make ends meet. Eventually the rewards stopped outweighing the negatives. If I could afford to live there again in a single family home, I would just for the sake of my school-aged children so they could finish school where their roots and "tribe" reside.

On the other hand, having moved to an uncrowded incredibly beautiful place (NW Montana), I discovered upon return visits to OC that I had lost my tolerance for the crowds and traffic and pace there. Initially I was recharged by the energy and vibe, but pretty soon I felt like a salmon leaping up a crowded stream again. In fact even in Montana I avoid the "big" grocery store and stick to the small one.

We are scouting out for a compromise in the TX suburbs later this month where middle class OC refugees can still live the American dream.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:55 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,285,767 times
read an article last night about South Coast Plaza. its their 50th year anniversary. when it was founded in 1960, OC had only 1M population. now its more than 3M population. and guess whats their gross now? close to $2B. and that is from a land planted to lima beans.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:21 PM

745 posts, read 1,284,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
read an article last night about South Coast Plaza. its their 50th year anniversary. when it was founded in 1960, OC had only 1M population. now its more than 3M population. and guess whats their gross now? close to $2B. and that is from a land planted to lima beans.
My dad lived in OC during the 1950s and said it was a lot of bean fields, orange groves, and dairies. I can't imagine the contrast for him.

My great grandmother infamously sold several acres in Signal Hill for $5 an acre to fund a Vegas gambling spree.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:34 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
I remember when it was built and the area was open fields and lots of orange groves, etc. I could drive through Costa Mesa and hit 7 stop lights. Last time I checked it was 16.

It has changed. Love South Coast Plaza though.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:35 PM

so for every reason to leave OC or SoCal, there is also another side of the story or shall I say, for every sorry story about the COL in OC or SoCal, there are also those who are laughing all the way to the bank.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:37 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
so for every reason to leave OC or SoCal, there is also another side of the story or shall I say, for every sorry story about the COL in OC or SoCal, there are also those who are laughing all the way to the bank.
Yes, to deposit their paycheck that they live by, week to week.

Ifr you did not live in OC then, you have no idea of the change.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:12 PM

14 posts, read 29,597 times
I left So Cal 2 years ago, after living in Long Beach my entire life.
Cost wasn't so much the issue, but quality of life. Got tired of the freeway traffic and thousands of people everywhere you go. For example, a food truck event in Los Angeles took me three hours to get to (30 miles total distance), I had to pay $20 to park somewhere and then wait in 2 hour lines at each food truck. It was not a great experience.
I've been in Northern CA in Concord. It's a bigger city in Contra Costa County, about 25 miles East of San Francisco and Oakland with a population of about 130,000. We have so many parks and open spaces. I feel like Northern CA cares a little more about preserving open space than So Cal. All developers see in So Cal is another plot of land to construct 20,000 condos. Oh, and I went to a food truck event in Concord. It took me 10 minutes to drive the 6 miles across town. Parking was free and none of the trucks had a line of more than 2 people. I feel like I've taken years of stress out of my life.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:15 PM

14 posts, read 29,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
Having been born in OC and watched it double in population, and having moved away two years ago to an extreme change (Montana), my description of it from a different thread is appropriate here:

That being said, we struggled in a constant grind to make ends meet. Eventually the rewards stopped outweighing the negatives. If I could afford to live there again in a single family home, I would just for the sake of my school-aged children so they could finish school where their roots and "tribe" reside.

On the other hand, having moved to an uncrowded incredibly beautiful place (NW Montana), I discovered upon return visits to OC that I had lost my tolerance for the crowds and traffic and pace there. Initially I was recharged by the energy and vibe, but pretty soon I felt like a salmon leaping up a crowded stream again. In fact even in Montana I avoid the "big" grocery store and stick to the small one.

We are scouting out for a compromise in the TX suburbs later this month where middle class OC refugees can still live the American dream.
I know exactly how you feel, sir! Unfortunately for me, my wife just got offered a job making $250,000 a year back in So Cal, so we have to move back :/

Old 03-15-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrof3 View Post
I know exactly how you feel, sir! Unfortunately for me, my wife just got offered a job making $250,000 a year back in So Cal, so we have to move back :/
like for this one, the math works and so they are laughing all the way to the bank

for me and my family, am still waiting for the effect of all those leaving like lower cost of houses and more higher wages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County