Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 12:04 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
If that's the case, just curious how teachers, nurses, mid-level office administrators make it in OC? Like the ppl that make between $45K and $60k a year? How do they afford to live there?
They simply can't. They live there because they spend a bigger proportion of their income on basic COL needs than what's recommended by avoiding saving for other things. Any other rationalization is just plain BS in my books. Income statistics will easily show you that's the case.

Exhibit 1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
most experienced public school teachers in OC make over $80k

Many nurses make over $100k.

So if a teacher marries a nurse, they will make over $150k combined in most cases.
Like this guy. Pointing out the exceptionally rare case, if you meet all those conditions, viola you can live in OC! What he doesn't mention is, there's scores of other people out there besides these people. You know.. like teachers who aren't as "experienced", people who aren't nurses, and married couples who aren't nurses and teachers.

My first job out of college as an engineer, I made $65K. Think I could afford to live there? Maybe if I married another engineer sure, it's always possible. Heck marry a billionaire. But statistics shows, there are way more people who earn less than me, than more. As most professional/technical jobs are easily outnumbered by service/blue collar jobs and gets paid nowhere near what professional jobs get paid.

https://statisticalatlas.com/state/C...usehold-Income

Last edited by man4857; 02-08-2018 at 12:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 06:53 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
They simply can't. They live there because they spend a bigger proportion of their income on basic COL needs than what's recommended by avoiding saving for other things. Any other rationalization is just plain BS in my books. Income statistics will easily show you that's the case.

Exhibit 1:

Like this guy. Pointing out the exceptionally rare case, if you meet all those conditions, viola you can live in OC! What he doesn't mention is, there's scores of other people out there besides these people. You know.. like teachers who aren't as "experienced", people who aren't nurses, and married couples who aren't nurses and teachers.

My first job out of college as an engineer, I made $65K. Think I could afford to live there? Maybe if I married another engineer sure, it's always possible. Heck marry a billionaire. But statistics shows, there are way more people who earn less than me, than more. As most professional/technical jobs are easily outnumbered by service/blue collar jobs and gets paid nowhere near what professional jobs get paid.

https://statisticalatlas.com/state/C...usehold-Income
Yep when it is said the "poor" are leaving CA it includes a Hugh number of people making less than $84,000.00. They are just "poor" in CA but not elsewhere.

Your last line is the sad truth and even with the push for everyone to go to college there simply are not enough jobs for all the graduates so they end up working elsewhere and have a nice sheet of paper to hang on their wall.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yep when it is said the "poor" are leaving CA it includes a Hugh number of people making less than $84,000.00. They are just "poor" in CA but not elsewhere.

Your last line is the sad truth and even with the push for everyone to go to college there simply are not enough jobs for all the graduates so they end up working elsewhere and have a nice sheet of paper to hang on their wall.
That will always be the case. It isn't a sad truth. That just how capitalism works. There will always be a bigger proportion working at lower wages than at higher wages. It's just not possible the other way around (the free market would balance that out otherwise, oversupply -> lower wages).

However, more education is not bad. The more educated people are, the smarter people are, and in general, less drugs, crime, social issues, whether it is a good ROI or not for their degree. The only caveat is moderating the cost so that you don't have people who spend $150K to earn a fine arts degree.

The issue comes down to: is this high COL a good thing or a bad thing? As we've had many debates in the other thread. Some will think it's fine and others like myself think it's not fine.

Last edited by man4857; 02-08-2018 at 07:11 AM..

Old 02-08-2018, 09:46 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
I'll be honest, $84,000 for a family of 4 does seem pretty low income for some areas of OC.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I'll be honest, $84,000 for a family of 4 does seem pretty low income for some areas of OC.

"does seem"? As if it's not obvious enough already? lol

Old 02-08-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post

"does seem"? As if it's not obvious enough already? lol
Sorry, I've lost some perspective over the years. The last time I didn't have 10 digit net worth, Obama was still in his first term.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:45 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times
are there Buffets here? Gates? 10-digit net worth? shouldn't you be passing your time basking under the sun over the pacific on your yacht? instead of posting here?

Old 02-08-2018, 10:53 AM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
are there Buffets here? Gates? 10-digit net worth? shouldn't you be passing your time basking under the sun over the pacific on your yacht? instead of posting here?
Yeah, I didn't know we humble C-Ders were honored by the presence of a billionaire.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
Is that what your think rich people do?

Old 02-08-2018, 11:19 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Is that what your think rich people do?
neither do they posting here.

if they want their opinions heard, they usually submit editorials in the WaPo Or NYT or hire lobbyist to get what they want. not posting here

Last edited by payutenyodagimas; 02-08-2018 at 11:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County