Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 08:13 AM

53 posts, read 64,241 times

Advertisements

We are moving to SoCal this summer from Dallas. We are actually here now and just arrived in San Clemente yesterday. Spent last 3 days in San Diego looking at houses. We just stopped in San Clemente for a day on way to was to LA looking at houses there.

We had not considered OC yet because I completely forgot about John Wayne airport and I need to be near a good airport. Yesterday while at the beach across from our hotel in San Clemente we met some wonderful families that begun to sell us on OC. So now we're looking at homes and will plan to spend Monday in OC before flying out from SD.

It seems OC is also figuratively between SD and LA in that it isn't as slow as SD suburbs (I am assuming more shopping and restaurants in OC) but not as crazy dense as LA. Therefore I suspect traffic will be much less.

So far our friends suggested we look at Coto De Caza, San Clemente, Lake Forest, San Juan Capistrano and Ladera Ranch, Laguna Niguel. Any others?

Below are wha we are looking for:

1) Decent schools
2) custom home or very nice tract community that feels very upscale. We are ok with an older home too as we tend to tastefully improve every house we live in
3) SOME grass in addition to pool and hot tub, minimum 3 car
4) price range $900k-$1.3m
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 08:24 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Laguna Hills (Nellie Gail only)
900k-1.3 is pretty hard for Nellie Gail in Laguna Hills where the most exclusive houses can exceed 10/11m, but I think there are some more modest homes that you could and should consider in that area. Those homes are still very nice, but in your price range, will require enormous work (but the pay off is generally a larger lot!).

Mission Viejo

I am not a huge fan of Mission Viejo for a variety of reasons (not because it is ugly!), but I have acquaintances who bought in Pacific Hills where homes are about that price range. (Pacific Hills might be for you.) They love it.

Laguna Niguel definitely has some houses that fit the 3-car category in your price range. With pool/spa. One was just near me and sold. With these amenities, expect towards the higher end of your budget.

In general; however, finding over 3 car garages in that price range? Ouch. You will have to get a decent sized home that is older and fix it up. The areas you mentioned are spot on. San Juan tends to be cheaper per square foot based on my experience and it has many beautiful homes with multi car garages, but that price range needs to be upped because such homes there tend to be more like estate homes.

I do not like Lake Forest and do not know the areas well. It is hot and not as attractive as the other south OC cities.

I think Coto, Nellie Gail and San Juan have the best fit for you based on your Dallas experience and desires, but the price range...

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 06-17-2017 at 08:39 AM..

Old 06-17-2017, 08:27 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Orange Park Acres

Old 06-18-2017, 08:39 AM

908 posts, read 1,302,670 times
Laguna Niguel and Laguna Hills are good areas with good schools that are solid value.

I'd also look into Irvine and Tustin. Nice areas with great schools that are close to John Wayne airport.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:54 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoking View Post
It seems OC is also figuratively between SD and LA in that it isn't as slow as SD suburbs (I am assuming more shopping and restaurants in OC) but not as crazy dense as LA. Therefore I suspect traffic will be much less.
Traffic in OC is flat out bad. This is why I suggested Oceanside. Very close to OC and downtown SD so travel is not that bad either way compared to in OC.

Now San Clements and San Juan Capistrano in OC would also be good choices. Like Oceanside they are at the edge of each County.

If you need to work and travel at rush hour times, good luck anywhere. If not then it depends on when you want to go to LA. OC or SD.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:21 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Traffic in OC is flat out bad. This is why I suggested Oceanside. Very close to OC and downtown SD so travel is not that bad either way compared to in OC.

Now San Clements and San Juan Capistrano in OC would also be good choices. Like Oceanside they are at the edge of each County.

If you need to work and travel at rush hour times, good luck anywhere. If not then it depends on when you want to go to LA. OC or SD.
Actually, that really depends upon the route plus the time of day. The 5 is a royal pain during rush hours. Major surface streets like Alicia Parkway, Pacific Park Drive/Oso Parkway, Moulton, etc., are heavy during early morning and afternoon commute times, but they are not horrible.

Barring freeways, traffic usually seems to move along at a good pace throughout most of South OC.

The OP should be able to make it from most coastal/near coastal South OC cities to John Wayne in about 15-20 minutes; maybe 25-30 max, I'm guessing, if he decides to live in Coto or San Clemente.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:42 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

I would not recommend Oceanside if the OP needs to make frequent trips to John Wayne, since there are random N5 border checks which could slow him down.

OP, I would suggest that you check Redfin.com to find homes in your target cities.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:20 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,145,915 times
Villa Park...but you'll be at the upper end (or over) your budget for all the items on your wish list.

Don't fool yourself about traffic. All of SoCal is connected, which means traffic everywhere is bad (or worse).

Old 06-19-2017, 12:00 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I would not recommend Oceanside if the OP needs to make frequent trips to John Wayne, since there are random N5 border checks which could slow him down.

OP, I would suggest that you check Redfin.com to find homes in your target cities.
Oh man you mentioned the border check on the North 5. I was so used to speeding through and ignoring that since the 4 or 5 times I'd gone through it was completely abandoned.

But then recently it was open! It was late at night and it took everyone by surprise. People were slamming on their brakes and three cars were off on the shoulder having slammed into each other. Then as we're inching forward, another car comes zooming in and we hear a loud bang. It was crazy! So yes, that border check is functioning. Many people have the insurance claims to prove it.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:05 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
Oh and if you need to be near a good airport, please don't consider LAX. It is a huge pain in the rear. Also there aren't really good suburbs in your price range near it. Torrance would be good and beautiful weather, but the price point would put you in something old and cramped that you'd pay 120k for in DFW. John Wayne airport (technically in Santa Ana) is SO nice to fly in and out of.

Don't let the south OC traffic scare you. Coming from DFW you know how it goes and the 73 tollway is nice. It will take you from south OC to the exit for the airport. It'll cost, but you should be used to paying tolls with the NTTA tag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County