Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 06:40 PM

26,720 posts, read 26,793,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
So DeVos wasn't in office 2 months ago?
Unfortunately, yes. What does her length of time in office have to do with supporting or opposing charter schools, which were around long before she was in office?

Quote:
Bannon right now has been ardently courting Randi Weingarten to get the teachers' unions away from the Dems. If the AFT switches parties - would you still parrot their agenda?
Excuse me. I was a Republican until my mid-30s. I loathe Bannon as a person, so I don't care what he stands for. We need to work on bettering the existing public schools before we divert $ to charters. (I know that you cannot stand LAUSD.)

Quote:
I would still have the views I have on education regardless of what politicians supported them.
So would most of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 07:03 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,595,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Unfortunately, yes. What does her length of time in office have to do with supporting or opposing charter schools, which were around long before she was in office?

Excuse me. I was a Republican until my mid-30s. I loathe Bannon as a person, so I don't care what he stands for. We need to work on bettering the existing public schools before we divert $ to charters. (I know that you cannot stand LAUSD.)

So would most of us.
You cited a thread that was less than two months old (and which I created) to prove you opposed charters before De Vos.

The same people who oppose charters and school vouchers also oppose any significant measures to improve large public school districts, most of which are even less politically possible than vouchers.

LAUSD in its current form cannot be fixed any more than North Korea with the Kim family in power and the Juche system can be fixed. Thankfully for OC residents, no OC district is that dysfunctional, not even Santa Ana Unified.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
You cited a thread that was less than two months old (and which I created) to prove you opposed charters before De Vos.
Right. And...?

Quote:
The same people who oppose charters and school vouchers also oppose any significant measures to improve large public school districts
What a stereotype. Spent any time in a public school lately?

Old 11-22-2017, 07:41 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,223,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
At a family gathering over the weekend, one of the attendees told of hundreds of teacher pink-slips recently handed out due to a dramatic drop in enrollment due to illegal aliens leaving OC (specific example was in the Santa Ana area). I usually try to independently verify such claims by this particular family member, so I came home and Googled it. I only found one article in the OC Register from this past spring that mentioned teacher layoffs due to enrollment drop, but the article didn't mention a single thing about why enrollments were down. Anyone have any actual knowledge they care to share...not just conjecture? Don't know if this is fact or fiction.
I can't answer the question but just want to say that would be awesome if its true.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:04 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,595,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Right. And...?

What a stereotype. Spent any time in a public school lately?
So you're denying that unions oppose breaking up large school districts and that unions (not surprisingly) oppose efforts to diminish the power and influence of unions? You're denying that ed unions don't promote political correctness and - despite the apparent conflict with the interest of their members - support the elimination of discipline?

Old 11-27-2017, 08:41 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,228 times
Quote:
The same people who oppose charters and school vouchers also oppose any significant measures to improve large public school districts, most of which are even less politically possible than vouchers.
I shouldn't take the bait and respond to your nonsense, but... but... lol

My opposition to charter schools is their ability to pick and choose their students. It happens every year. They recruit as many students as they can get until the October norm day when their yearly funding is set. Then they pare down their students. They get rid of students who won't perform well on the tests. They get rid of students with special needs who are more costly to educate, the list goes on... I've met with many parents who come in sad because their charter school told them "I'm so sorry, we simply don't have the resources that your child needs. The public school down the street can do it much better." They cherry-pick their students and then boast that they outperform public schools. I seriously doubt you're connected to education in any way, but please do some basic research on these things.

It's great to be political and spout your beliefs as facts! BUT, when there are actual facts out there, you might want to check them out.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:08 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Against what standard. Way less than Texas or Illinois for instance. As to administration what percentage of the budget and compared to what standard.

You hear these buzz phrases regularly but they often have no substance.
By percentage CA property taxes are low, but by dollar amounts way above TX and IL. Housing costs more in CA so the actual dollars paid in property taxes is very high. Yet the schools are always short of money. Lousy spending.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:08 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,985,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
I shouldn't take the bait and respond to your nonsense, but... but... lol

My opposition to charter schools is their ability to pick and choose their students. It happens every year. They recruit as many students as they can get until the October norm day when their yearly funding is set. Then they pare down their students. They get rid of students who won't perform well on the tests. They get rid of students with special needs who are more costly to educate, the list goes on... I've met with many parents who come in sad because their charter school told them "I'm so sorry, we simply don't have the resources that your child needs. The public school down the street can do it much better." They cherry-pick their students and then boast that they outperform public schools. I seriously doubt you're connected to education in any way, but please do some basic research on these things.

It's great to be political and spout your beliefs as facts! BUT, when there are actual facts out there, you might want to check them out.
There is some truth to this, but I will say the only children I've seen kicked from charter or private schools were problematic, and it is indeed a MARKET decision to kick them out. Problematic children with behavior issues or learning disabilities suck up more resources. There are always alternative schools that offer specialized education to students like this, but the costs are higher since it requires more specialized staff to deal with them.

This is how an actual market works. It may hurt people's feelings but think of it from a school administrator's point of view. You are literally spending 3x the man hours to handle a difficult child while all the other children are getting much less attention. How is this fair to these children? Shouldn't the parents of a problematic child expect to pay more and not socialize those cost to those who aren't causing problems?

Old 11-28-2017, 11:15 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,807 times
I have friends who teach at inner city schools in Santa Ana.... I've visited them on campus and trust me enrollment is still very high of the latin persuasion.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
By percentage CA property taxes are low, but by dollar amounts way above TX and IL. Housing costs more in CA so the actual dollars paid in property taxes is very high.
I don't know. My aunt and uncle pay a fortune for property taxes in Illinois. Much, much higher than what anyone I know pays here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County