Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 04:23 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
By percentage CA property taxes are low, but by dollar amounts way above TX and IL. Housing costs more in CA so the actual dollars paid in property taxes is very high. Yet the schools are always short of money. Lousy spending.
Everything is "short of money" because the state is spending $25B of our tax money every year providing services to illegals.

The General Fund is only about $120B, so its about 16% of that. Of course, things are going to suffer when you are being robbed of 1/6 of your resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 04:29 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
It has nothing to do with "illegal immigrants" leaving.
It has everything to do with:
1.) Orange County is prohibitively expensive for singles, let alone people with two or more children.
2.) Many younger families with children are leaving Orange County and moving out to Corona, Eastvale, Menifee and Chino where they can actually afford to live. Some are going out even further to other parts of Southern California.
I just met a young family of 5 who live in Lake Elizabeth -- a small rural community in the Antelope Valley area of L.A. County between Santa Clarita and Palmdale. Father grew up in Tustin, mother grew up in Brea, but neither could afford to stay in Orange County and neither wanted to deal with the crowds any more, so they and their three kids moved to Lake Elizabeth. All three of the kids are enrolled in the public school district there and parents love it so far.
Very interesting.
This is why the enrollment in Orange County public schools is dropping.
Excellent point! That's exactly what happened in Davis. The City has become so expensive that families can't afford to live there so school enrollment has dropped dramatically, the City rather than lay teachers off or close school has opened enrollment to anyone outside of the district so they now have students from Vacaville, Woodland, even Sacramento. And for the naysayers who want to argue this- there has never been a large "illegal" population in Davis.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:35 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And for the naysayers who want to argue this- there has never been a large "illegal" population in Davis.
How do you know what the accurate "illegal" population is in Davis or any city for that matter?

Old 11-28-2017, 04:52 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Everything is "short of money" because the state is spending $25B of our tax money every year providing services to illegals.

The General Fund is only about $120B, so its about 16% of that. Of course, things are going to suffer when you are being robbed of 1/6 of your resources.
Nonsense number. Over half is the cost of education US citizen children who have no business being included in such a calculations. Large parts of the rest of it are apportionment of overhead expenses which will not go down if we got rid of the illegals. Maybe 10% is real and should be funded by the Feds as they are the ones who allow illegal immigration to occur.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Since they do better than public schools, maybe public schools should follow some of their examples in teaching and what to teach and how to teach?

I went to school in CA from Kindergarten on, and the schools now are dumps when it comes to learning and activities compared to when I went. There are a variety of factors, but the charter schools seem to get it right and public schools do not.
As a rule they don't "do better" than public schools. At least in this area the Charter schools either are either downright awful or low to mediocre. There are none that out perform public schools in the same areas.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
How do you know what the accurate "illegal" population is in Davis or any city for that matter?
Because I used to live there, any other questions?

Old 11-28-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
So you're denying that unions oppose breaking up large school districts and that unions (not surprisingly) oppose efforts to diminish the power and influence of unions? You're denying that ed unions don't promote political correctness and - despite the apparent conflict with the interest of their members - support the elimination of discipline?
Sounds like a Perry Mason cross examination

Old 11-28-2017, 05:18 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
As a rule they don't "do better" than public schools. At least in this area the Charter schools either are either downright awful or low to mediocre. There are none that out perform public schools in the same areas.
Never heard of Success Academy? Do you really think they don't out perform conventional public schools in their area?

Old 11-28-2017, 05:30 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Because I used to live there, any other questions?
So you conducted a census on the illegal population?

That's funny because even the census itself does not have a totally accurate number of the illegal population in the U.S.

Although Pew Research has estimated that 12.3% of the K-12 population in California is made up of illegal children with illegal alien parents. That was in 2014. It's likely MORE now.

You said " there has never been a large illegal population in Davis." You don't think 12.3% (or more) of the K-12 population being illegal is a "large amount"?

Old 11-28-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Never heard of Success Academy? Do you really think they don't out perform conventional public schools in their area?
You mean in New York? I have no idea I don't live in New York and if you read what I posted I specifically stated that the Charter schools in my area SUCK, I did not say all charter schools everywhere suck, did I?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County