Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,123 times

Advertisements

I am wondering about the 900 W. McFadden block and 1000 W. Cubbon St. I have a family friend that is recently frequenting this area. This friend has been on/off illegal drugs for a long time. This area has never been a place where my friend has hung out. My friend lives in Newport Beach. Can anyone tell me about this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 11:54 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClovisC View Post
I am wondering about the 900 W. McFadden block and 1000 W. Cubbon St. I have a family friend that is recently frequenting this area. This friend has been on/off illegal drugs for a long time. This area has never been a place where my friend has hung out. My friend lives in Newport Beach. Can anyone tell me about this area?
here is a good map to show where the major gangs are located.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...612792967&z=10

Looks like it is in a gang area.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:53 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
here is a good map to show where the major gangs are located.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...612792967&z=10

Looks like it is in a gang area.
That map is riddled with errors for L.A., missing quite a few gang territories and also misattributing territories to the wrong gangs. It also is riddled with errors when it comes to the Bay Area, missing a lot of areas entirely. Not sure about Santa Ana but based on what it says about other areas I wouldn't consider that a reliable source.

However from looking at Crime Mapping it appears that that area indeed has some issues, even if not the most dangerous part of Santa Ana.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
That map is riddled with errors for L.A., missing quite a few gang territories and also misattributing territories to the wrong gangs. It also is riddled with errors when it comes to the Bay Area, missing a lot of areas entirely. Not sure about Santa Ana but based on what it says about other areas I wouldn't consider that a reliable source.

However from looking at Crime Mapping it appears that that area indeed has some issues, even if not the most dangerous part of Santa Ana.
I suspect the gang areas are growing in most areas so no chart will be complete. It does give a good guide however and when I was checking SD County those who lived there agreed in general with the mapping I found. Being just outside an area does not mean such is safe either. I would be more cautious rather than less on this issue.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I suspect the gang areas are growing in most areas so no chart will be complete. It does give a good guide however and when I was checking SD County those who lived there agreed in general with the mapping I found. Being just outside an area does not mean such is safe either. I would be more cautious rather than less on this issue.
I wouldn't consider it to be reliable at all when it comes to L.A. and the Bay Area. To the point that I'd consider it a work of fiction.

However that part of Santa Ana does have its problems and it is close to some areas that have much worse problems. It certainly would not be my first choice but then how many people would choose Santa Ana as their first choice to live anyways? (Or second, or even third, unless they were homeless or just getting out of prison....). There certainly are drug areas in that general vicinity although not being a drug user I wouldn't know if that particular area is active.

Last edited by majoun; 06-28-2017 at 02:57 PM..

Old 06-28-2017, 03:34 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
The map gives a good idea of gang areas in Santa Ana, Orange, Anaheim. I wouldn't call it fiction. SA and Anaheim are turd buckets in general.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't consider it to be reliable at all when it comes to L.A. and the Bay Area. To the point that I'd consider it a work of fiction.

However that part of Santa Ana does have its problems and it is close to some areas that have much worse problems. It certainly would not be my first choice but then how many people would choose Santa Ana as their first choice to live anyways? (Or second, or even third, unless they were homeless or just getting out of prison....). There certainly are drug areas in that general vicinity although not being a drug user I wouldn't know if that particular area is active.
Not familiar with the Bay area as I grew up in SoCal. The LA gangs seem right to me, but things change. OC may be under reported. Santa Ana definitely has a problem.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Not familiar with the Bay area as I grew up in SoCal. The LA gangs seem right to me, but things change. OC may be under reported. Santa Ana definitely has a problem.
The LA map is woefully inaccurate. They missed a lot of areas, and attributed some actual territories to different gangs than those in those terrritories. There are a few defunct or nonexistent gangs listed. The map for L.A. doesn't bear relation to anything that ever existed at any time. The Bay Area is ridiculously underreported (e.g. no gangs in Oakland or in San Francisco).

I also think OC may be underreported. There is another poster from OC who thinks that OC's overreported, and who bashes the Calgang official state database because it - in his opinion - overstates OC's gang problem. (According to the state OC has the 3rd largest gang population of any county behind LA and San Bernardino.) He's also a big champion of said Google map.

However - regardless of the map - we can all agree that the area by 900 W. McFadden is not a good area - and may be an active drug area - even if it is not Santa Ana's worst area.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
The LA map is woefully inaccurate. They missed a lot of areas, and attributed some actual territories to different gangs than those in those terrritories. There are a few defunct or nonexistent gangs listed. The map for L.A. doesn't bear relation to anything that ever existed at any time. The Bay Area is ridiculously underreported (e.g. no gangs in Oakland or in San Francisco).

I also think OC may be underreported. There is another poster from OC who thinks that OC's overreported, and who bashes the Calgang official state database because it - in his opinion - overstates OC's gang problem. (According to the state OC has the 3rd largest gang population of any county behind LA and San Bernardino.) He's also a big champion of said Google map.

However - regardless of the map - we can all agree that the area by 900 W. McFadden is not a good area - and may be an active drug area - even if it is not Santa Ana's worst area.
Which was the question I was addressing with the Map. I am sure they are never fully accurate, but they do give a general idea of what is in/near an area. I would be surprised if OC was 3rd as from what I see SD County is worse and probably just behind LA and SBC.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,123 times
Thank you all for your input. It is a great help to me. I actually called the Santa Ana P.D. and was repeatedly put into voice mails. I bounced around the entire narcotics department a few times. It was a joke trying to speak with someone in narcotics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County