Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 06:23 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times

Advertisements

In the Irvine general area......or between Irvine and Laguna Beach?

Looks like things are changing/moving faster than we had thought they would.

Long story short, it now looks like my husband and oldest son may be moving the first of the year (January) and the rest of us will finish out this school year and join them in the summer after we finish school and the house sells.

Is there anywhere that rents month to month, and yes, I figure it will be at a higher rate, and doesn't require a year long lease?

We would like to save some cost while paying for two places and then get a more expensive rental (or even buy) in the summer.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 07:05 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
I'm sure there are tons of them, but I can speak from experience in suggesting that you checkout Alicante in Aliso Viejo. It was my first stop when I made my move to OC from Manhattan.

Maintenance was tops, it was very easy to meet people and, if you have a pooch, it is most definitely dog friendly. Large dogs are even welcome there. There is also plenty of parking as each unit has an attached garage plus an assigned space.

Grocery shopping, restaurants, Barnes & Noble, CVS, movies, etc. are less than a five minute drive away.
https://www.elevatetosequoia.com/apa...artment-homes/

I would also suggest that you consider City Lights in Aliso Viejo due to it's great views and very convenient location overlooking Town Center (Easy walking distance down to shopping, TJ's, restaurants, movies, etc.). However, I've never lived there, so I can't speak from personal experience. Parking would be of concern of for me since I think it's all in a large parking structure. So, no attached garage. If I had the need, I would consider it for a month-to-month, but Alicante would be my first choice overall.
http://www.sheaapartments.com/apartments/city-lights/

Last edited by pacific2; 09-04-2017 at 07:25 AM..

Old 09-04-2017, 07:51 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Most places I know do not do MTM rentals. I offer them but at a higher rate. Money is still money. I had a tenant that started as a MTM and rents were going up so fast they surpassed the MTM he was paying. He's been with me for 4 years now.
You have a bit of a uphill. You're relocating so lots of LLs don't like dealing with that and you're looking at a MTM. You may have a saving grace due to the time of the year you plan on moving

Old 09-04-2017, 08:51 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,935,073 times
VRBO or AIRBNB are loaded with monthly rentals.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Most places I know do not do MTM rentals. I offer them but at a higher rate. Money is still money. I had a tenant that started as a MTM and rents were going up so fast they surpassed the MTM he was paying. He's been with me for 4 years now.
You have a bit of a uphill. You're relocating so lots of LLs don't like dealing with that and you're looking at a MTM. You may have a saving grace due to the time of the year you plan on moving
oh, we are well aware they aren't optimal for the actual people renting out their own places, and we also know they aren't common, which is why I am asking. I could get a realtor involved, but really was hoping not to until we are ready for either a long term rental or a purchase.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
VRBO or AIRBNB are loaded with monthly rentals.
Hoping for something non-furnished so our first large load can head on out there with them. That will help get the bulk out of our house and allow us to stage better on this end.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
oh, we are well aware they aren't optimal for the actual people renting out their own places, and we also know they aren't common, which is why I am asking. I could get a realtor involved, but really was hoping not to until we are ready for either a long term rental or a purchase.
I usually end up offering a 6 month lease with a lease break option. they can leave anytime within that 6 month with a two month lease break fee. Strictly month to month I charge 20-30% higher rate depending on the persons credit/background. 6 month lease adds $200 to the 1 year lease price

Old 09-04-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I usually end up offering a 6 month lease with a lease break option. they can leave anytime within that 6 month with a two month lease break fee. Strictly month to month I charge 20-30% higher rate depending on the persons credit/background. 6 month lease adds $200 to the 1 year lease price
That is good to know. It would be a 6 month lease for sure, Jan-late June, so that wouldn't be an issue. Credit isn't an issue either.

But I also assume you don't advertise that, so it wouldn't be easy to find in a google search?

Old 09-04-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
That is good to know. It would be a 6 month lease for sure, Jan-late June, so that wouldn't be an issue. Credit isn't an issue either.

But I also assume you don't advertise that, so it wouldn't be easy to find in a google search?
I state that I offer different leasing options other than yearly. Finding it however in a google search is going to be tough . It just costs more the shorter the term due to the higher risk of occupancy loss. Most assume I'm doing the shorter term for the same price. Which I don't. The listing options don't allow me to choose multiple options when the lease term checkmarks come up but I do list it in the body of the ad.

And people are free to ask although they rarely do. Hell most dont even try to negotiate the price. Even though I'm willing to at least entertain a offer. What people rarely realize is having great credit good income and no background issues are worth more to some LLs. Especially private LLs. It's not that easy to find a good tenant.
I had one applicant who did ask if I was willing to lower the price. I told him that at this time I'm not but he probably won't see a rent raise for a few years. I finally raised the rent three years later. For $100. Rentals in the area are running $300 higher than his rent after the rent raise. But he pays on time and he keeps the place immaculate. I dint want to lose a good tenant so I dint project a rent raise again for another 3 years if needed. I'm not the must raise rent 3% a year every year. I do it when it's absolutely needed

Last edited by Electrician4you; 09-04-2017 at 12:08 PM..

Old 09-04-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I state that I offer different leasing options other than yearly. Finding it however in a google search is going to be tough . It just costs more the shorter the term due to the higher risk of occupancy loss. Most assume I'm doing the shorter term for the same price. Which I don't. The listing options don't allow me to choose multiple options when the lease term checkmarks come up but I do list it in the body of the ad.

And people are free to ask although they rarely do. Hell most dont even try to negotiate the price. Even though I'm willing to at least entertain a offer. What people rarely realize is having great credit good income and no background issues are worth more to some LLs. Especially private LLs. It's not that easy to find a good tenant.
I had one applicant who did ask if I was willing to lower the price. I told him that at this time I'm not but he probably won't see a rent raise for a few years. I finally raised the rent three years later. For $100. Rentals in the area are running $300 higher than his rent after the rent raise. But he pays on time and he keeps the place immaculate. I dint want to lose a good tenant so I dint project a rent raise again for another 3 years if needed. I'm not the must raise rent 3% a year every year. I do it when it's absolutely needed
I can see that. We would def. fit in that category, steady and good income, over 800 credit scores, and def. no issues with a background check.

We just haven't rented in 20 years.....we have always owned. Well, we did a 3 month short term rental when we moved here while we waited for our CA house to sell.

The other option is for my husband and son to just rent a more expensive/larger place, sign a 1 year lease, and just have the rest of us move in there directly when we get there in the summer.

Everything is a bit up in the air at the moment and I am just trying to do some research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County