Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,717 times

Advertisements

Alright Im 17, and just recently got my license. I have a few questions and hopefully you guys can help me out.

1. Can I drive my siblings to school? (We go to the same school)

2. Can they pull me over for looking young? (I can pass as 12, sad I know)

Well, if you guys can answer that, it would really be helpful. Thanks a million!

I live in Southern California by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 04:31 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
1) Don't know the current rules. Few years back it was 6months with no passengers under 21(or 25?) or something like that. You took the drivers ed course, you should know this!

2) Don't know if its legal, but I've seen it happen

Old 04-03-2008, 05:13 PM

9 posts, read 56,155 times
From the CDMV Web Site

+++++++++++++++++++++
Once you have your provisional license, you may drive alone as long as you do not have accidents or traffic violations. (More information about actions against provisional licenses. (broken link))

When you become 18 years old, the "provisional" part of your license ends. You may keep the photo license you have or pay $21 for a duplicate license without the word "provisional."

During the first 12 months after you are licensed, you cannot drive between 11 pm and 5:00 am and you cannot transport passengers under age 20 unless you are accompanied by your parent or guardian, a licensed driver 25 years of age or older, or a licensed or certified driving instructor.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:17 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
First question seems aptly answered.

Second question, real answer is you can be pulled over at any time if a cop thinks there is enough evidence a crime has been commited. You state your appearance is youthful enough to permit you to pass for 12. As long as that is true, it would seem to be sufficient for any cop to think a 12 year old is driving and that would certainly constitute a crime in any jurisdiction I am aware of.

So, yes, they can pull you over until your beard comes in. You will be growing a beard, right?

Old 04-03-2008, 08:12 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,439,815 times
There are exceptions to the law though such as someone who is an emancipated minor, needing to drive someone else due to medical reasons (say parent had a broken right leg for example), and a few others. I went to the DMV when my son got his license and they said he could drive siblings as long as there was a signed note in the car saying we said it was ok at all times.

This is what the DMV says are the exceptions: Driver License and Identification (ID) Card Information

I'll copy it right in:
Exceptions to Restrictions

When reasonable transportation is not available and it is necessary for you to drive, the law grants the following exceptions for minors to drive between 11 pm and 5 am or to transport an immediate family member unaccompanied and unsupervised.

The law allows the following exceptions when reasonable transportation is not available and it is necessary for you to drive. A signed note must be kept in your possession for any of these exceptions explaining the necessity and the date when the driving necessity will end (except emancipated minors).

* Medical necessity when reasonable transportation alternatives are inadequate. The note must be signed by your physician, and contain the diagnosis and probable date of recovery.
* Schooling or school-authorized activity. The note must be signed by your school principal, dean, or his/her designee.

Employment necessity and the need to operate a vehicle as part of your employment. The note must be signed by your employer verifying employment.
* Your necessity or the necessity of an immediate family member. The note must be signed by your parent or legal guardian.
* If you are an emancipated minor, no documentation is needed. However, you must have already declared yourself emancipated and provided DMV with Proof of Financial Responsibility (SR 1P) in lieu of your guarantors’ signatures.

Also, they cannot pull you over just to check if you are in your first year of driving. They likely won't either because that would be discriminating against younger looking kids, when even a 17.5 year old with a full beard who looks like he is twenty is subject tot he same laws as you. If you do break the law, like run a red light, and get pulled over, then they can bust you for both.

Nonetheless, you should obey this law. You are young and in your first year of driving and kids in the car with friends is VERY distracting. You need to get used to all situations of driving before you should be in the car talking with someone while you drive. When friends ask for a ride, say NO, because it could save your life.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,916 times
they cannot pull you over for looking to young if they do you can fight the charge

Old 05-14-2009, 07:05 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
How is looking too young a "charge"?

Old 05-14-2009, 10:13 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistuhsparkles View Post
Alright Im 17, and just recently got my license. I have a few questions and hopefully you guys can help me out.
2. Can they pull me over for looking young? (I can pass as 12, sad I know)
I live in Southern California by the way.
They just might.

This doesn't have much to do with driving, but back in the 1980's I was working at a job in the city of Orange. One of my coworkers was a boyish (think a young Jimmy Connors) looking 27 year old guy who had just moved out there from upstate NY. One day, he went to a nearby convenience store around noon to get something to drink and an officer from the Orange PD confronted him and asked him why he wasn't in school. He thought my coworker was a truant! The cop was also apparently pretty belligerent about it (which was weird. I always thought the OPD cops were pretty cool on a people level) and it shook my coworker up.

So yeah, a cop pulling you over for looking too young to drive wouldn't be a surprise.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:41 PM

224 posts, read 957,409 times
How did you get your license and not know this stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County