Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2018, 12:13 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times

Advertisements

the dams/impounding/catchment area should be able to fill up with these heavy rains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 01:19 PM

872 posts, read 596,088 times
Not sure if anything will get filled back up with this rain BUT every drop is a blessing!

Old 12-07-2018, 06:17 AM

252 posts, read 423,044 times
totally agree. the rain is much needed .

We are out hiking quite a bit, and actually witness visually the tinder dry brush, plants, trees, grass and dry rivers and creeks is very evident. We need the rain and snow melt.

Not to mention the need for water for a few million people here in southern california.

Looks like today , friday Dec 7 th, our current frontal system has moved on to Arizona, and we can see snow up on our local mountains .....

Perhaps, this winter rainy season will actually show up and help to catch up after about 8 years of drought, which of course according to Trump never existed.

Hopefully , the rain kahuna has returned after a very long sabatical.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:01 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidooley View Post
Perhaps, this winter rainy season will actually show up and help to catch up after about 8 years of drought, which of course according to Trump never existed.

Hopefully , the rain kahuna has returned after a very long sabatical.
Of course, the drought existed, but it was officially declared over after the winter of 2016-17 which had abundant rainfall all over the state. I'm not sure if you were here then. Last season, 2017-18, was abnormally dry in SoCal again, but this year is shaping up well.

After all, every year sees tinder-dry brush and empty creekbeds by the end of the dry season because that is the reality of this climate. No "end of the drought" is ever going to change the fact that Southern California has 6 months without rain every year.

But I do agree the last few days of rain have been wonderful, and it is awesome to see the snowy San Gabriels. I was coming up the 5 from San Juan Capistrano this morning and got a great view.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:59 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
its seems the climate/weather in CA is either drought or El Niño

better get ready for desalination plants just in case these rains will be far in between

Old 12-07-2018, 04:04 PM

252 posts, read 423,044 times
Actually, they are currently working on a Desalnation plant plan here off our south orange county shore line. Still in the planning stages. But, they are definitely concerned about the drought and future fresh water supply . Heck, we all are. I am for it, need some fresh water to splash into my scotch .

Salbot :

As to my time living in california, and of course, " my knowledge of weather "

Actually weather is a primary event for us. My weather knowledge is very extensive since weather knowledge kept me alive on a daily basis since 1967 . Actually, before that, since I was raised in the beach cities , body surfing and swimming in the ocean all thru high school and college and beyond.

my background for the last 40 years has been very involved with weather conditions on a steady basis. Mine and other lives depended on my decisions. And we like to get others informed as to weather situations as well.

Why did I have to have an extensive knowledge....... two parallel careers , flying and sailing.

* Commercial Pilot, Certified Flight Instructor, Charter Pilot, Corporate Pilot, air show demo pilot, Aerobatic Pilot, and Air Combat Instructor pilot .my last 17 years flying Air Combat ( formation flying, gun sight tracking, BFM basic fighter maneuvers, and full on five and six G dog fights ) . Coast to Coast and border to border deployments in addition to operating out of our national headqaurters at Fullerton. ( 17 yrs and 2500 missions at air combat ). Erica is also a private pilot and aerobatic pilot.

Total hours from 1967 after leaving the military to 2005 is 6500 hrs. I stopped flying air combat just before we moved to kauai island. Obviously an excellent knowledge of weather was vital to survival .
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sailing and Motor Vessels :

Also, highly weather related is sailing professionally..for 37 years.....world wide. Still bareboat skippering .
FUN !.

U.S.C.G Merchant Marine Captains License, vessels up to 500 tons . Sailing and motor vessel instructor ; Charter Capt;, Corporate training regattas, deliber skipper, flotilla leader in socal waters for the channel islands, and hundreds of catalina sailing passages; Also skippered sailing vessels the south pacific, and the caribbean, also have skippered in the Whitsunday Islands, Australia , Tahiti, Tonga, Mexico, the Bahamas, BVI (16 two week sailing vacatiions ( this coming may in the BVI # 17). ( before hurricane season, and great trade winds and sunny,

Also sailed the French West Indies, St. Martin, Anguilla, St. Barts ; Windwards and Grenadines St. Lucia , and the islands in between to Petite St. Vincent ; Also motor vessel two differnt trips in Ireland, the river Shannon ) , Potumna to Kerrick on Shannon and beyond. Plus the Greek Islands.

Also taught classes and seminars, on Coastal Piloting and Navigation, Marine Weather, Signal Lights and Day Shapes,
First Mate Courses on board for new to sailing spouses, Power Boat Safety at Sea Courses, and Basic, intermediate and Advance sailing....30' to 55ft vessels. ( this was concurrent with flying. Two wonderful careers at the same time. If it is not fun, I do not do it for long ..great life )

Even tho we were on kauai island , we were very much paying attention to our daily weather, ocean conditions, currents, low pressure areas, trade winds, hurricanes and tsunami, and flash flooding and trail erosion. snorkeling and diving conditions, and trail and river and stream conditions due to weather and flash floods

. At the same time during those 10 yrs as real Kauai residents, we also paid close attention to California' weather and the droughts.

Now back living in Cailfornia, Dana Point, the last three years, every morning when I get up, I check out the weather fore- casts on Weather Underground, and that is not some be jeweled , free wardrobed, movie star, untrained forecaster, it is the best and most informative and accurate weather information that I have ever referred to.

Well, a weather related exception :

As as quick FYI....Dallas Rains is our fave wx forecaster and is certified. Many years ago, Dallas actually came out to fullerton and flew with Air Combat USA. in our Fighter Pilot for a Day, several times. He became a friend of the owner and us instructors. Same upbeat guy that you see on TV, he is in person.

Also, I have been fortunate to have been California born in 1940 in norcal, and moved to orange county in 1955 . Yep, I pretty much know our weather paterns.

The exception years were 1964 to 1966 when I volunteered to serve this country and was on deployments to Naha, Okinawa, Iwakuni Japan, and Vietnam.

And , away from the mainland for those fantastic 10 years as full time residents of kauai island. We actually volunteered for beach, river, and harbor clean ups; and also were Sierra Club Hike Leaders.

Oh, and also weather related, Erica is PADI certified up thru Rescue Diver, and myself PADI Open Water and my first dives after certification thru a socal dive school and dives on Catalina, was diving the Great Barrier Reef and the Coral Sea, Australia, on board the 120 ft luxury dive boat THE SPIRIT of freedom. Went back to OZ two years later and again dove the great barrier reef with them again, and also two weeks skippering a sailing vessel in the Whitsunday Islands a second time. ( two weeks each )

Well, you asked if I was familiar with Orange County weather, the answer is YES, and also and weather nation and world wide....and after all those years of flying and sailing, I am still here roaming the planet in one piece. That is good .

Weather can kill you, and we have a great deal of respect for all aspects of weather, and we still currently have a dedicated a personal daily knowledge of the weather .

Oh, since I think you are a sailor and totally understand and respect the ocean and weather , I have an idea.

Sailor to Sailor happy hour talk story.

In fact, if you or others are here in south county, Erica and I would enjoy talking story and swapping sea tales with you in person at at our fave local hang in Dana Point Harbor. Yep, Harpoon Henry's every week day all day long happy hour at their inside bar...food and drinks. Actually, not many of the patrons know about it, There is one special caveat, that we can clue you in on, unless of course you already are aware .

Denny and Erica

Old 12-07-2018, 04:31 PM

872 posts, read 596,088 times
WOOF! That's a resume +++ ! Awesome and also great advice about the weather etc
Weather Underground is my go-to as well- I like the ability to change views/ GUIs - I do compare it to the NOAA site as well but not all that often.
Desal plants need to be be much more of a priority than other expensive projects like the antique technology bullet train fiasco ( not to start a debate on that here though - its been covered).... it would be great to collaborate with the federal government and other countries.... I'm not going to look at YTD rainfall amounts till the end of February LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County