Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 10:44 PM

3 posts, read 21,855 times

Advertisements

I'm a 27 professional single male living in Chicago. I'm considering taking a job either in New York or in Laguna Hills paying 200-300K. For the job in OC, I was told that I should get a place in Newport Beach (as opposed to Laguna Beach or Huntington Beach).

I have two questions regarding Newport beach:

1 - I want an urban living environment. I don't know how much I can get this in NB. I've heard that Fashion or Triangle Island should be two of the areas I should try to live around? (I'm fine paying rent between 1,500-2,500 a month.) Are these the right areas to live in?

2 - What is there in terms of social, professional, or political activities/clubs? Browsing the forum leaves me with the impression that I should spend most of my time at beaches/gyms. However, I would like to see some culture, etc. as well. This is especially important given that I'm used to a fairly broad selection of activities/social events in Chicago that is easily replicable in NYC.

I think NYC would be an easy fit for the professional and social scene. However, I'd prefer the job in OC if I can get the lifestyle I want there. I'm going to do a few trips out there, but your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 11:14 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,435,497 times
Newport Beach does have a pretty large social scene, but it is not like big city social life. The city is basically a very exclusive and expensive haven for the rich and activities involving money are going to be more common. You will notice lots of people will try to act like they are rich and have more than they really do and hang around Newport and act like they are some rich yacht owner, when they really can barely afford rent. Most of the city is very wealthy though, but your salary range puts you at a comfortable place to be able to live in Newport and have a nice life. As far as Newport being urban, well, it just isn't. It is a beach town, not an urban city with tall skyscrapers and people walking everywhere. If you want urban in So Cal, then you would have to look to Los Angeles. It is worth a visit though because it is a very beautiful city.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:20 PM

274 posts, read 320,010 times
Completely different places, but IMO, you are too young and Newport will be totally boring. It's OK if you're old.

New York is world-class city. More cosmopolitan, exciting, and sophisticated. You'll surely have more fun, have the opportunity to network and meet many influential people, have more opportunity for career advancement, etc.. (although you won't be living luxuriously with that salary). Manhattan, NYC is more expensive than Newport Beach.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:29 AM

112 posts, read 406,093 times
newport is more about outdoor recreation. new york has more nightlife and culture. so it depends if you are more concerned with daytime recreation or nightlife culture.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:50 AM

376 posts, read 1,505,494 times
There are several complexes being built with the urban demographic in mind throughout Orange County. The idea being that young professionals are probably out more then in so they are located close to entertainment etc. Right on the border of Newport/Irvine are several which gives you a good location close to transportation and about 10 minutes from the beach. In addition there is a new rental complex right across the street from the Irvine Spectrum with this in mind as well. High rise apartments/condos, with shopping, restaurants, nightlife, etc. Making $200-$300k a year will give you lot's of options.

Best of luck!

Old 12-29-2007, 11:01 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,435,497 times
OK, here is a photo of the area kturbe is talking about.

This is about as dense and "urban" as buildings in Orange County get. There have been a few additional buildings built, but it won't get much more dense than this photo. As you can see it is very different than New York. You can walk to a few places and shops from here, but not everywhere. Here is a link to some of the new residential condo towers popping up in the area.
http://www.octowers.com/marquee.php
http://www.octowers.com/plazaIrvine.php

You may like Newport, lots of people do, but it is not New York. You must visit before you can make a decision. I can't emphasize enough how important a visit would be.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:42 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,493,695 times
OC is not urban, let's get that straight.

IMO NYC all the way, at that salary range you could live in SOHO on Manhattan for 3000 a month in a bedroom with this outside:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/18/SoHo_New_York.JPG/450px-SoHo_New_York.JPG (broken link)

Old 12-29-2007, 01:29 PM

50 posts, read 63,824 times
No comparison.

NEW YORK.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:23 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,892 times
You want urban life? NYC. Orange County is for families. Don't believe the "OC", it is more comparable to Brady Bunch.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:57 PM

3 posts, read 21,855 times
Thanks for the tips.

I've lived in NYC for 2 years before but thought that the NB offer was interesting. It's disappointing that it doesn't seem like there is the sort of nightlife, restaurant, funky market, etc. type feel in OC based on what you've posted.

I'm indifferent to the cost differential between NYC and NB, so it's purely a career type decision as well as a quality of life choice.

I'm scheduled to fly out there. Anything in particular I should look at? As I'm not looking to buy any time soon, I heard the Irvine Company's projects are good for apartment rentals. Any comments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County