Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 06:39 PM

11 posts, read 60,071 times

Advertisements

I know how a lot of people on this forum resent Newport area but I happen love how everything is neat and well planned after spending a long weekend in Newport Coast, Crystal Cove, and Laguna. I also have a rough idea of the housing prices in these areas after doing some extensive researches.

Both me and my husband are professionals and thinking about moving to OC or near OC. We make about $500K a year combined, and hoping to purchase a house with an ocean view in the near future.

Is there any other areas I should look into as well? We do have one child and having a good school in the area is a must (public or private.)

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 06:46 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Monarch Bay Terrace at the West end of Dana Point would be a good alternative. I grew up there and it's a great neighborhood with nice homes that have a great view and would be appropriate to someone in your income category. All the homes were built since the mid-60s and most have been remodeled to keep up with the times. Schools around there are good.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...sigb=134rkhcuc

Old 01-01-2010, 07:42 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquahot View Post
I know how a lot of people on this forum resent Newport area but I happen love how everything is neat and well planned after spending a long weekend in Newport Coast, Crystal Cove, and Laguna. I also have a rough idea of the housing prices in these areas after doing some extensive researches.

Both me and my husband are professionals and thinking about moving to OC or near OC. We make about $500K a year combined, and hoping to purchase a house with an ocean view in the near future.

Is there any other areas I should look into as well? We do have one child and having a good school in the area is a must (public or private.)

TIA!
Ugh.

I don't have anything against Newport per se. Many friends there and I go to church with alot of NB residents. But do yourself a big favor and stay away from Newport Coast/Crystal Cove. It is the living embodiment of the negative neauveau - riche, materialistic, shallow, money grubbing, snobby OC sterotype.

Look at Corona Del Mar, Newport Heights, Laguna Beach, Dana Point, La Jolla (In San Diego). There are also some newer, more affordable upscale oceanview homes in the Seacliff development of Huntington Beach. The rest of HB is not nearly as high end, but Seacliff is a nice area with everything you are seeking. The city itself has a more middle class down to earth vibe.

Good Luck

Old 01-01-2010, 08:35 PM

916 posts, read 3,698,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Ugh.

I don't have anything against Newport per se. Many friends there and I go to church with alot of NB residents. But do yourself a big favor and stay away from Newport Coast/Crystal Cove. It is the living embodiment of the negative neauveau - riche, materialistic, shallow, money grubbing, snobby OC sterotype.

Look at Corona Del Mar, Newport Heights, Laguna Beach, Dana Point, La Jolla (In San Diego). There are also some newer, more affordable upscale oceanview homes in the Seacliff development of Huntington Beach. The rest of HB is not nearly as high end, but Seacliff is a nice area with everything you are seeking. The city itself has a more middle class down to earth vibe.

Good Luck
well said. though I think Seacliff is overrated.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:45 PM

Thanks for the input CAVA1990, OC Investor2. I will definitely look into those areas.
I also heard that Corona Del Mar is very white and very rich, why do you think it's different than Newport Coast?

We are not church goers, and I am a firm believer in choosing my own friends than having others to accept me into a small circle. It's hard to believe a beautiful place like Crystal Cove can have so many nasty people and negativities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Ugh.

I don't have anything per se. Many friends there and I go to church with alot of NB residents. But do yourself a big favor and stay away from Newport Coast/Crystal Cove. It is the living embodiment of the negative neauveau - riche, materialistic, shallow, money grubbing, snobby OC sterotype.

Good Luck

Old 01-01-2010, 09:10 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquahot View Post
Thanks for the input CAVA1990, OC Investor2. I will definitely look into those areas.
I also heard that Corona Del Mar is very white and very rich, why do you think it's different than Newport Coast?

We are not church goers, and I am a firm believer in choosing my own friends than having others to accept me into a small circle. It's hard to believe a beautiful place like Crystal Cove can have so many nasty people and negativities...
All of Newport/Laguna is very rich & very white.

CDM is older money. You still see a good ratio of established long time owners vs. new there. I guess that tends to keep the place a bit less.....money grubby.

N. Coast & particularly C. Cove are more recent developments. As such they attracted people recently in the market for big $$ houses. Who knows, in 20 years things may shake out, the putzes will drop away and they will be a nice community. But that is'nt the way it is right now.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:17 PM

55 posts, read 185,720 times
Hi.

My wife and I reside in Newport Beach. First off, Newport Coast IS still considered Newport Beach. Also understand that there are pros and cons to everything in life. Let me tell you the public schools in Newport Coast are absolutely incredible, and are the best in the Newport-Mesa District. It is also extremely safe and very low on high crime. If private school is a must check out St. Margaret's in San Juan Capistrano, or Harbor Day School in Newport Beach. Our kids go to Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa, and we are very pleased with the good mix of kids who come from all walks of life. Raising a kid here seems to be one of the most difficult things to do as a parent. There does tend to be a high level of alcohol use here among teens, as this is largely contributed to parents who still act like prepubescent children who refuse to set boundaries. The people here sadly are some of the most egotistical people my wife and I have encountered in our life. Most of them are only concerned with themselves, how they look, and they're latest plastic surgery. This distrorts kids' views on what is important in life. Way too much emphasis on money, looks and image.
Now Newport Heights area(by Newport Harbor-Horance Ensign) is very "old school" Newport. I would reccomend checking out there. You won't get an ocean view home(unless you are living on Cliff Drive) but the people tend to be much more friendly.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:33 PM

Thank you SurfDad! Your information is extremely helpful I will definitely check out Newport Heights during my next visit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDad View Post
Hi.

My wife and I reside in Newport Beach. First off, Newport Coast IS still considered Newport Beach. Also understand that there are pros and cons to everything in life. Let me tell you the public schools in Newport Coast are absolutely incredible, and are the best in the Newport-Mesa District. It is also extremely safe and very low on high crime. If private school is a must check out St. Margaret's in San Juan Capistrano, or Harbor Day School in Newport Beach. Our kids go to Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa, and we are very pleased with the good mix of kids who come from all walks of life. Raising a kid here seems to be one of the most difficult things to do as a parent. There does tend to be a high level of alcohol use here among teens, as this is largely contributed to parents who still act like prepubescent children who refuse to set boundaries. The people here sadly are some of the most egotistical people my wife and I have encountered in our life. Most of them are only concerned with themselves, how they look, and they're latest plastic surgery. This distrorts kids' views on what is important in life. Way too much emphasis on money, looks and image.
Now Newport Heights area(by Newport Harbor-Horance Ensign) is very "old school" Newport. I would reccomend checking out there. You won't get an ocean view home(unless you are living on Cliff Drive) but the people tend to be much more friendly.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Where are your jobs?

Old 01-02-2010, 03:25 PM

The jobs will be near where we decide to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County