Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2008, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 7,970 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a new job in downtown LA. I live in Anaheim and will be taking either I-5 all the way up or 91 to 110.

Anyone currently making the commute from Anaheim to Downtown LA for work?

Here are my options that I am considering: (My hours are somewhat flexible)

Take I-5 to and from
Take 91 to 110 to work and 110 to 91 home
Take MetroLink
Take OCTA 721 express bus from Fullerton to Dowtown
Buy a hybrid and take carpool lanes on 91 and 110

Please let me know what your commute experiences are from North OC to downtown LA. And let me know which of the above options you would choose as a travel choice.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 02:29 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,439,815 times
I would take the train personally. It is so much less stressful to just sit back a relax. It is about 50 minutes from Anaheim or Fullerton stations to Downtown LA in the morning, and it takes 40 minutes on the way back. It in't going to be any faster driving, only longer, plus you have all the stress of commuting in the chaotic rush hour. I-5 currently is under construction around Buena Park causing tons of traffic and the freeway is only three lanes through Downey and City of Commerce area so it is pretty much a notoriously congested route.

At least you can read a good book on the train!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:43 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGnome View Post
I'm considering a new job in downtown LA. I live in Anaheim and will be taking either I-5 all the way up or 91 to 110.

Anyone currently making the commute from Anaheim to Downtown LA for work?

Here are my options that I am considering: (My hours are somewhat flexible)

Take I-5 to and from
Take 91 to 110 to work and 110 to 91 home
Take MetroLink
Take OCTA 721 express bus from Fullerton to Dowtown
Buy a hybrid and take carpool lanes on 91 and 110

Please let me know what your commute experiences are from North OC to downtown LA. And let me know which of the above options you would choose as a travel choice.

Thanks!!!
You have Metrolink and Amtrak options available. The Metrolink site (see below) lists TWO Anaheim stations (one near the 91, as I recall- the other at the Stadium). I highly recommend the train if your L.A. destination is reachable from Union Station via light rail or subway.

Metrolink :: Welcome

Old 05-05-2008, 07:10 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,743 times
You cant simply buy a hybrid to get in the carpool lane anymore...that was removed almost a year ago. You would have to buy a resale hybrid to do that.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:59 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
another benefit to public transportation is that although it is pricey, you do save on the gas that you would otherwise spend, as well as parking. from what i understand, most companies downtown do not provide parking for their employees. this leaves you paying either $10-$20 daily for parking or dishing out for a montly spot. However, if the company does offer parking and you choose to take the bus or train to work, they will probably reimburse you for the parking spot which you can use towards your bus/train pass.

if i were you and you are going to take the job, maybe try each option for one week and see which you prefer. although most people don't like busses, that may end up being your best option, you never know until you try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County