Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 10,499 times

Advertisements

I'm a college student and I'm thinking of moving to Orange County, CA. I've been reading a lot of threads here and basically I know renting & the cost of living is expensive, crime rate is high in some areas. I would like to know more about job growth in Orange County for a future web designer & developer like me. Where would this job be needed the most (anywhere in CA, not only Orange County)? How much should I be paid when I'm still in college and work in this profession? How much is the salary after I graduate? How much is the rent in Fountain Valley and Irvine if I only need 1 room (small room is fine), shared bathroom is ok and utilities included? How much is the rent for the same conditions but a private bathroom is needed? In Fountain Valley, where is considered safe? Anywhere in Irvine is safe? Can I move to Orange County if I already saved enough money for my final 6 months in college and I only need to find a full time job to pay for used books ($100 every 2 months), rent & living cost, loans debt (like $300/m) or I should consider to move later?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 02:26 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,379 times
If you can say that without taking a breath you will fit right into The "Orange County".
Sorry but you remind me so much of my PA.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:46 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,379 times
I am so sorry for taking the p*** .
All I can do is offer some genuine advice the world of web design is extremely competitive if you think you have what it takes then go ahead.
One area which is and will increasingly be in demand is internet promotion and the development and marketing of talent,bands,performers and the like on the internet.
Many new and up and coming artists will will avoid the pitfalls and problems of the stars of the past by marketing themselves on the internet.
However they may have the artistic merits to become successful but they do not have the knowledge or skills to effectively promote themselves on the internet,u-tube my space etc.
This is where you step in internet agent for the stars of the future.
Just my five cents worth use it or abuse it as you will but good luck anyhow.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:38 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Pretty much everywhere in OC is reasonably safe. There are a very few areas that are questionable, but to my knowledge there are no cities in OC that are below the US average for safety. If you feel uncomfortable in an area go live somewhere else.

For a college student, I would suggest Balboa Village in Newport Beach. You will have to share an apartment (maybe even share a bedroom) to afford to live there, or you might find a room on a boat if there are any liveaboards left. Lots of college students live in Balboa so there must be some way to afford to live there. If you do an off season only rental, it is a lot cheaper than year round.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:59 PM

@Impala666: you gave me a really good advice and thanks for that.
@Coldjensens: I heard Newport Beach is more expensive than Fountain Valley and Irvine. I think I have to give it a search. Thanks for letting me know about liveaboards.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:20 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,909 times
Web designer and developer? Good luck getting a job with that. Web designer and developer is one of those professions where you have to be a go getter meaning you have to do freelance work. Either providing services to others or building a website and making money through the site. I've had my take at google adsense and you really have to know what you are doing - how to seo, write good content and get people to go to your website. It took me months before I even started to make a steady income that only amounts to 2-3$/day. If you are lucky you will find someone who will hire you to do those things in their office but don't be surprised if you don't find anything. From my experience in the webmastering world most of the tasks are easy to outsource. Though it could be very lucrative if you know how to use that source of cheap labor to your advantage.

Best of luck to you none the less.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:02 AM

104 posts, read 376,015 times
Don't be web designer in OC unless you're 100 times better than everyone else. I did it for five years and it didn't pay the bills so I had to change careers to make a decent living. Graphic Designers and web designers in OC are a dime-a-dozen, and many are hungry willing to work for $10/hr or less.

Like any profession if you're the best in your field you will do well, just check monster.com for these types of job's in OC I'm sure the salary will discourage you.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:52 AM

286 posts, read 1,029,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thvda View Post
I'm a college student and I'm thinking of moving to Orange County, CA. I've been reading a lot of threads here and basically I know renting & the cost of living is expensive, crime rate is high in some areas. I would like to know more about job growth in Orange County for a future web designer & developer like me. Where would this job be needed the most (anywhere in CA, not only Orange County)? How much should I be paid when I'm still in college and work in this profession? How much is the salary after I graduate? How much is the rent in Fountain Valley and Irvine if I only need 1 room (small room is fine), shared bathroom is ok and utilities included? How much is the rent for the same conditions but a private bathroom is needed? In Fountain Valley, where is considered safe? Anywhere in Irvine is safe? Can I move to Orange County if I already saved enough money for my final 6 months in college and I only need to find a full time job to pay for used books ($100 every 2 months), rent & living cost, loans debt (like $300/m) or I should consider to move later?

Thank you!

I am in the same boat as you, my friend. I'm gonna be graduating in about 3 years only with an English/Business major instead. OC is tops on my list of places to move from here in FL but I dunno if I could pull it off financially. I grew up in the Tampa Bay area and love it but OC is amazing and I want a change.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:53 PM

Thanks guys!

Old 07-24-2008, 10:48 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,228 times
Honesty if I were you I would stay put and get some experience in your field before trying to compete here in the design industry. It is so very competitive and cut throat. I think you would have a better chance in LA if you do decide to move to So Cal. Finish school, get some experience, save some money, and network with people in your industry then make your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County