Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 7,382 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Looking for a little bit of info advice. I am a single 32yr old aussie woman who is considering a move into the Orange County. My company are discussing a position based in Anaheim and was looking at beach area's to live that would mean my commute wouldn't be ridiculous.

I expect my budget for rent will be around $1500-2000 per month, and am looking for an area that is safe, generally has a good vibe, nightlife and good shopping etc.

Also am looking for a little bit of advice around cost of living, cars and just generally settling into the area considering that I will probably only know the people I will work with and will be looking to meet others.

I have visited LA but really didn't love it as a tourist and missed OC altogether so advice and thoughts would be appreciated.

Sorry if I am asking some questions that have already been answered - most posts seem to focus on family living which isn't me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 12:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Depends on what you like.

Newport Beach is probably the nicest beach community, but most of it is either crowded (Balboa Peninsula and Balboa Island) or unbelievably pretentious. Huntington beach is more affordable and more down to earth, but the beach area is getting expensive.

Anywhere close to the beach is crowded and noisy in the summer.

Best bang for the buck for near the beach may be Costa Mesa. Not a beach community, but only a bike ride away.

Why not just sleep in Anaheim, Orange or Fullerton and drive to the beach? Unless you live within walking distance of the sand, there is not much benefit in living in the beach cities. You may be better off with cheaper housing and more money to spend on doing things. OC is an incredible place for things to do, but you need lots of money.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:48 PM

50 posts, read 165,916 times
I agree with all the great information posted. One additional tidbit: the summer temperatures within about 3 miles of the beach are very comfortable and about 10-15 degrees cooler than the inland areas so there is no real need for air conditioning. (The 405 freeway is a rough boundary line for coastal weather.) All of OC is very dry in the summer (the so called dry heat!) so even hotter areas are pretty comfortable. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 6,920 times
Also, if your budget is up to $2000 per month its going to be real hard to work at the beach. i live in a very nice gated community in irvine about 15-20 mins fromthe beach and pay $1875 for a two bedroom with 1000 sq ft. so yes, places like costa mesa, orange, fullerton, etc might be a more affordable option.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 7,382 times
Thanks to everyone for their feedback. The information is very helpful and will give me much to thinkabout over the next few weeks as I consider the decision.

I hope to be enjoying a warm summer there soon...

Old 09-17-2021, 10:36 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,573,025 times
I was going to start a thread but saw that my title was already used for this thread.^^ So…I’ll just add my question.

Are there any realtors in the Forum who live & work in OC?

Old 09-17-2021, 04:22 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
You should NOT use this thread since people may answer the OPs question, not yours, not noticing it is THIRTEEN years old.

Do start a new thread and ask your question, which is very different from the OPs.

Old 09-17-2021, 04:49 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,573,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
You should NOT use this thread since people may answer the OPs question, not yours, not noticing it is THIRTEEN years old.

Do start a new thread and ask your question, which is very different from the OPs.

Ok…thank you. I thought since it was the same moving subject, I was supposed to use the old thread. BUT that’s a good point. I’ll start a new one.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 09-17-2021 at 05:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County