Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 11:47 PM

253 posts, read 376,581 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't worry about the Republican thing in OC. You'll find that in OC, people vote Republican because they make a lot of money and want to keep their taxes down, and not for religious/abortion/anti-gay reasons like they do in the midwest.

My girlfriend and I are Republican and vote the Republican party line every election. However, we're not religious (and to some degree I am against organized religion), we are pro-choice, heck, we even have gay friends - right in OC!! Why do we vote Republican? For low taxes and for a strong defense so we can sleep well at night.

Of course there's the other side of the coin - I love LA but have experienced what someone else pointed out; specifically, that the liberals who live in LA are very hateful and bigoted against Republicans to the point where I choose not to live there.

At the end of the day I accept people for who they are. I don't try to impose my opinions on others, and I don't look down on anyone else's opinions. I sincerely believe that both Democrats and Republicans love the USA; we just have different ideas on how to make it great!!

One thing I will say that impresses me about OC, including Newport - I am a guy with earrings. Day after day, in Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ, I endured dirty looks from EVERYONE thanks to having earrings. I've never gotten that once in OC, not even in high-end restaurants in Newport! To me that really says a lot.

Last edited by nevercoldcall; 03-03-2007 at 12:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 11:54 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,901,161 times
Dirty looks in Phoenix in regards to personal appearance? I thought Arizona was full of libertarians?

Old 03-04-2007, 01:49 AM

I don't know who told you that but Arizona is being taken overy by liberal elitists. We have a left-wing lesbian governor who is in her 2nd term and the state house is close to becoming a democrat majority. If anything, Arizona is becoming a police state, not a libertarian state.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:37 PM

252 posts, read 1,127,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevercoldcall View Post
I wouldn't worry about the Republican thing in OC. You'll find that in OC, people vote Republican because they make a lot of money and want to keep their taxes down, and not for religious/abortion/anti-gay reasons like they do in the midwest.

My girlfriend and I are Republican and vote the Republican party line every election. However, we're not religious (and to some degree I am against organized religion), we are pro-choice, heck, we even have gay friends - right in OC!! Why do we vote Republican? For low taxes and for a strong defense so we can sleep well at night.

Of course there's the other side of the coin - I love LA but have experienced what someone else pointed out; specifically, that the liberals who live in LA are very hateful and bigoted against Republicans to the point where I choose not to live there.

At the end of the day I accept people for who they are. I don't try to impose my opinions on others, and I don't look down on anyone else's opinions. I sincerely believe that both Democrats and Republicans love the USA; we just have different ideas on how to make it great!!

One thing I will say that impresses me about OC, including Newport - I am a guy with earrings. Day after day, in Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ, I endured dirty looks from EVERYONE thanks to having earrings. I've never gotten that once in OC, not even in high-end restaurants in Newport! To me that really says a lot.
As a lifelong OC resident in living in LA the last 4 yrs, I fully agree with your opinion of OC voters & the LA Lib. Thing is, a significant amount of them are young transplants and although they like to call themselves Liberals, in reality, they should be called something else as their attitude is quite stale, predictable and actually non-progressive. A good example is to see how differently each county is run, both with a very good tax base.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:38 PM

252 posts, read 1,127,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevercoldcall View Post
I don't know who told you that but Arizona is being taken overy by liberal elitists. We have a left-wing lesbian governor who is in her 2nd term and the state house is close to becoming a democrat majority. If anything, Arizona is becoming a police state, not a libertarian state.
Good heavens NO! I just saw "V for Vendetta" and surely you must have it the other way around.

Isn't John McCain, that Republican (HA!) from AZ?

Old 03-04-2007, 10:31 PM

LOL ... John McCain the "Republican" ... ha ... you should hear the booing every time his name is mentioned at a Republican event!!!!

Old 03-05-2007, 06:40 AM

560 posts, read 1,715,394 times
OC is definately a bastion of Republican strenght, but is not as universally conservative as most people think. Many city coucils are a mix of both Republicans and Democrats. I was born and raised there and lived in North Orange County until 2005. The parts of South County with money, Newport, Brea, Anaheim Hills, Yorba Linda... very Republican but most people will not make you feel bad about having a different view and it is not so conservative that you will puke! (except for Brea maybe) Check out downtown Fullerton... there are some very liberal minded people there. I don't have the URL, but google search for the Fullertpn Observer newspaper... very open minded and progressive local newspaper that reports on Fullerton. Some of the writters or the editor there would probably be happy to give you more info.

I am a moderate Republican. I never saw anyone critized in OC for their political beliefs... unlike here in uber liberal Santa Fe, NM where my car was vandalized just because I had a Bush sticker on it!

Old 03-05-2007, 06:02 PM

800 posts, read 4,298,464 times
Thanks so much for the clarity on things. It's helped me tremendously to learn more about my future new home

Quote:
I never saw anyone critized in OC for their political beliefs... unlike here in uber liberal Santa Fe, NM where my car was vandalized just because I had a Bush sticker on it!
Wow, that is just crazy! That is too bad. I think people need to be more tolerant...wow! Of course, here, you get your car vandalized if you have a University of Michigan sticker in East Lansing. But, then again, not as scary as driving to Columbus, OH with a University of Michigan sticker. My next car, I'm going stickerless

Old 03-06-2007, 02:15 AM

My girlfriend told me that a few years back, while she was still living in NY, she drove up to Boston and her car was vandalized just because it had NY plates on it! Crazy!!

Old 03-06-2007, 06:22 PM

800 posts, read 4,298,464 times
Quote:
My girlfriend told me that a few years back, while she was still living in NY, she drove up to Boston and her car was vandalized just because it had NY plates on it! Crazy!!
Wow! That is sad. It's sad to me that people forget that we're all one country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County