Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 03:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,347 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is my first post on here.

My family and I (wife & 2 kids aged 3 and 8) are planning to move to OC from the UK in October this year, assuming that the visa is approved. My potential employer is offering me an hourly wage of $37.50 plus medical. We are much better of financially in the UK but at the expense of me being away from home working a lot. We are going to treat this move as an extended holiday and life experience for us all. My office will be in Fullerton but I will likely be travelling to El Segundo frequently.
I am wondering if anyone can advise what I am likely to have NET per month after taxes etc, my wife will be unable to work on her visa so this wage will have to support us all. We want to live in a nice, safe area with a good school in walking distance. Near to the beach would be great as this is a bit of an extended holiday, Huntington Beach??. I will need to get medical for my wife & kids. I have no idea what the likely costs of groceries, auto insurance, home bills etc will be. I have had a look on cragslist and it appears that I can expect to pay around 2000usd in rent for a nice place. What about the weather? we vacationed there in 2008 (May/June) and I remember the June gloom in Malibu and Laguna Beach. Are the coastal areas cold or wet during winter?
Lots more questions but I think that's enough for now.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 09:23 AM

298 posts, read 628,375 times
I am trying to guess at what you'll be bringing home after taxes and I am coming up with 4200.00 per month. This is based on 40 hr/wk and 30 percent taken out for taxes (this may be on the low side). I think that will be cutting it very close. Rent 2000.00 mo. (probably doable, depends where), utilities (phone, gas, electric) 250.00, food 600.00 mo., auto insurance 170.00 mo (2000.00 yr. for 3 cars, so yours may be less), gasoline would be a total unknown until you find a place to live and see how long the commute is. With those essentials the total so far is 3020.00 without gas for your car. This is just my estimate and is close to what I spend per month. I have 2 kids 13 and 14. Yes, there is June gloom but usually it clears in the late morning/early afternoon. It doesn't last all summer. Winters can be clear and crisp but coastal cities are known for being overcast in the mornings. Good luck and enjoy yourself while you are here.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:18 AM

101 posts, read 283,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtriple View Post
Hi, this is my first post on here.

My family and I (wife & 2 kids aged 3 and 8) are planning to move to OC from the UK in October this year, assuming that the visa is approved. My potential employer is offering me an hourly wage of $37.50 plus medical. We are much better of financially in the UK but at the expense of me being away from home working a lot. We are going to treat this move as an extended holiday and life experience for us all. My office will be in Fullerton but I will likely be travelling to El Segundo frequently.
I am wondering if anyone can advise what I am likely to have NET per month after taxes etc, my wife will be unable to work on her visa so this wage will have to support us all. We want to live in a nice, safe area with a good school in walking distance. Near to the beach would be great as this is a bit of an extended holiday, Huntington Beach??. I will need to get medical for my wife & kids. I have no idea what the likely costs of groceries, auto insurance, home bills etc will be. I have had a look on cragslist and it appears that I can expect to pay around 2000usd in rent for a nice place. What about the weather? we vacationed there in 2008 (May/June) and I remember the June gloom in Malibu and Laguna Beach. Are the coastal areas cold or wet during winter?
Lots more questions but I think that's enough for now.

Thanks
I think you will have a hard time finding an appropriate sized place in a nice area in OC for what you make.

Keep in mind that if you commute from HB (for example) to El Segundo this will cut in your "at home" time significantly because of traffic. It may also add to your level of stress.

As a general rule, southern CA coast is warm and humid in summer. As you travel north it gets cooler, even in summer.

A commute from HB to Fullerton will probably take about 30 to 45 minutes each way in commuter traffic. If you live near the coast in HB (south of downtown) its about 6 miles to the 405, and about the same to the 55 (I used to commute from HB to Fullerton).

IDK it sounds like you already made the decision to come over here, but I'm guessing that this will be a large setback financially for you and your family unless you plan to return to the UK and the company that you plan to come to work for is going to pay your relocation both ways (you kinda make it sound like its temporary)

Those are my initial thoughts.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:20 AM

101 posts, read 283,616 times
As far as gas goes I would assume that you get mileage from your company. Not sure what the IRS reimbursement is at this point, but that is likely what you will get unless they give you a company car and gas card.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:32 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
You may be able to do it. It will be very tight. You will be scraping by. Your kids will probably need to share a bedroom. You will probably not be able to get sick, go on vacation, eat out, go to movies or theater, particpate in sports at school, donate money to charity, buy brand name clothing or food, drive a newer car. You rwife can cut cupons, shop for bargains, launder your business clothes to save on dry cleaning and alundry costs, etcetera. You will not find a place in one of the "better" area for that amount, and you will have to be careful about school quality. If your car seriously breaks down, you will be in big trouble. Cellphones for the kids are out of the question althgouh they will insist that they cannot live without an Iphone within a month after you move.

Some of the number quoted above may be a bit low, particularly $600 for groceries and you will only be int he $250 range for utilities if you go without Airconditioning most of the time.

It is not all bad. The weather is pretty ideal. There is more sunshine than most places. Beaches are free except for parking. There are a lot of great places nearby for hiking, moutain biking, bird watching, etcetera. All of that is free or almost free. Lots of neat playgrounds around. Lots of great support groups for your wife (e.g. Mothers of Pre-schoolers "MOPS").

THere are some trailer parks in Huntington Beach, you may be able to rent a trailer for $2000/month. You might even get one with 3 bedrooms, and perhaps more importantly 2 bathrooms.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:42 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
One other thing that is in the original poster's favor is the Norwalk Greenline from Fullerton. The Green Line goes straight into El Segundo.

For potential places to live, it looks like Fullerton (the north and west sides??) has good schools and not too far from the Green Line.

California School Performance Maps

Old 04-26-2011, 01:08 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,201,982 times
i hope you'll have the ability to work overtime!!! if not, your wage probably won't be enough to live a comfortable lifestyle here.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:20 PM

745 posts, read 1,285,444 times
How good will your medical coverage be for your family? What does it cost you to cover the entire family, and what are the individual deductibles? For us medical is our 3rd highest expense, sometimes 2nd.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:50 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMelanie View Post
As far as gas goes I would assume that you get mileage from your company. Not sure what the IRS reimbursement is at this point, but that is likely what you will get unless they give you a company car and gas card.

times have sorta changed re company cars and gas cards...

depends upon the level of job...

hubby as CEO did get both...as did the VPs..anyone else..nada

as far as IRS reimbursement..remember that you cannot deduct mileage from home to office..only from office to anyplace you may have to go (if you are office based..you cannot deduct expenses to get to work)

personally I think the OP can live on nearly 80 K a year (47 an hour is approx 80 K a year)...obviously not at the top of the lifestyle..

I also agree...really agree..that medical costs can make a very big dent in one's expenses...again depends upon level of employment..many vps and above get total coverage and they don't pay for it..yes there are deductibles and copays

those that come from the UK aren't used to this..

we are on Medicare now...with Blue Cross supplemental..with PPO coverage..which I insist on..(total choice of providers)..our healthcare costs are close to 10K a year..

good luck to OP...consider this move..

Old 04-26-2011, 11:06 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMelanie View Post
I think you will have a hard time finding an appropriate sized place in a nice area in OC for what you make.

Keep in mind that if you commute from HB (for example) to El Segundo this will cut in your "at home" time significantly because of traffic. It may also add to your level of stress.

As a general rule, southern CA coast is warm and humid in summer. As you travel north it gets cooler, even in summer.

A commute from HB to Fullerton will probably take about 30 to 45 minutes each way in commuter traffic. If you live near the coast in HB (south of downtown) its about 6 miles to the 405, and about the same to the 55 (I used to commute from HB to Fullerton).

IDK it sounds like you already made the decision to come over here, but I'm guessing that this will be a large setback financially for you and your family unless you plan to return to the UK and the company that you plan to come to work for is going to pay your relocation both ways (you kinda make it sound like its temporary)

Those are my initial thoughts.
OP said his income was 37 dollars an hour...double that to get approx yearly income..ie 72 K...he should not have a problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County