Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:30 PM

13 posts, read 38,613 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I live in terrace apartments in city of orange. My lease just ended and i went from 1year lease to month to month. They increased my rent by 12 percent. I called and asked of rent increase and they said the increment can be up to 5% only if I continued the lease. If i don't continue the lease they can increase 150 + market value. I need good evidence that they cant do that increase. Legal documents or something. Any opinions how i can get some info or from where. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 06:29 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewex View Post
Hi all,
I live in terrace apartments in city of orange. My lease just ended and i went from 1year lease to month to month. They increased my rent by 12 percent. I called and asked of rent increase and they said the increment can be up to 5% only if I continued the lease. If i don't continue the lease they can increase 150 + market value. I need good evidence that they cant do that increase. Legal documents or something. Any opinions how i can get some info or from where. Thanks.
I don't know, even with rent control, my understanding is month to month is totally different..

Nita

Old 03-02-2009, 06:36 PM

224 posts, read 957,007 times
You could start here... LawHelp Housing Subtopics

Old 03-02-2009, 09:21 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,758,544 times
I don't think the city of Orange has any rent control measures. Month to month is just that, month to month. They can up you every month as far as I know. You can move any time you please with 30 days notice in typical contracts that I've had and seen like that. Most of Orange County is free market as far as rent goes. I know Dana Point has some rent control, but other than that I don't know of any other places

Old 03-02-2009, 10:40 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
Yeah month to month at most places is a total rip off. How can they expect your life changes to coincide exactly with a lease expiration? Luckily, the place I'm in only requires a 6 month lease at occupancy and reverts to M2M afterward without a penalty. I wasn't aware of any rent control in OC either.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:50 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
According to California state law, any rent increase over 10% in any 12-month period requires a 60-day notice, but yes, on a month to month agreement, the landlord can raise the rent as high and as often as they want to as long as they give proper notice. (Raising the rent on anyone doesn't make a lot of sense right now, given the current state of the economy, but that's how some people are.)

A rent increase of less than 10% requires only a 30-day notice.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
According to California state law, any rent increase over 10% in any 12-month period requires a 60-day notice, but yes, on a month to month agreement, the landlord can raise the rent as high and as often as they want to as long as they give proper notice. (Raising the rent on anyone doesn't make a lot of sense right now, given the current state of the economy, but that's how some people are.)

are you sure about this now that his lease is up? He really has nothing.

I don't know, am just curious..If the lease is up it makes sense his landlord can do about anything. If he was already momth to month that I could see what you are saying. It just looks to me like there is a loophole there in the landlords favor.

Nita

Old 03-03-2009, 06:43 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
If he signs a new lease, he's locked in at the new increase of 5% for a certain period of time - at least that's what it sounds like from his original post. If the City of Orange has no rent control, and he decides not to sign a new lease, then yes, the landlord can basically do whatever he or she wants as long as proper notice is given. Increasing his rent by 50% is entirely legal - as long as the landlord gives 60 days' notice of the change.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
If he signs a new lease, he's locked in at the new increase of 5% for a certain period of time - at least that's what it sounds like from his original post. If the City of Orange has no rent control, and he decides not to sign a new lease, then yes, the landlord can basically do whatever he or she wants as long as proper notice is given. Increasing his rent by 50% is entirely legal - as long as the landlord gives 60 days' notice of the change.
I wish he would come back cause none of us seem to know what he plans on doing. I got the impression he did not want to sign a lease, just rent month to month.

Nita

Old 03-03-2009, 09:37 AM

13 posts, read 38,613 times
Hey all, Ok i did some legal research with my realtor's contacts. Here is the deal
This below is correct. And there is no legal limitation going from 1year to m to m. They can do any type of raise with out limitation which sucks. In LA the subject is different, i have a friend lives in LA and had the same change 1y to 'm to m' but he only got 3% raise due to the link here. Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Or the house owner just doesnt know the law only goes for long term leases. which is great for my friend.

Also my apt only does 12m leases no other option. So they are acting smart. My plans is getting in to housing market in the following months. Which is totally a different subject. So it sucks that i have to pay the rent increase until i get out. Hopefully i can find a place before a year passes then i would be pist. Thanks for all the responses.
Quote:

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 06:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County