Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:17 PM

123 posts, read 233,246 times

Advertisements

Hey all, here in Lake Forest tonight. A helicopter keeps flying over our complex. Not sure why. It goes away, circles and comes back every 2-3 minutes or so. It is extremely loud. Is there any way to check a Sheriff's bulletin or anything to find out why they do these? Are they trying to catch a criminal, or report on a traffic accident? Lake Forest is not so urban that i'd think a major traffic accident would cause so many huge delays that they'd need this many helicopter flybys.

When we first moved here, last year, it seemed like Saturday night around 10:30pm they always did this. Flew over us, flew away, came back in 5-10 minutes, rinse repeat.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

- H.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 06:21 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,526,489 times
I know of the site that shows you where the patrol cars go and why, but I don't have info about fly overs....

Are you near a bank? A busy restaurant such as Lucille's? A place that could be robbed? They could easily be looking for somebody hiding behind buildings or on foot.... Or they could be looking for a cougar, etc...(no joke).

A busy street/intersection that could have a major accident?

A few weeks ago 2 teen boys got killed out on Trabuco, (wrapped the car around a tree), so maybe it was something like that...hope not.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:55 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Is it the OCSO copter or a news birdie?

Old 05-06-2009, 07:13 PM

301 posts, read 1,510,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
I know of the site that shows you where the patrol cars go and why, but I don't have info about fly overs....
What site is that?

Old 05-06-2009, 07:41 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,526,489 times
sorry for the delay.....it's been a year or two since I looked at it and they have changed the site around and I wanted to give you are few steps in order to avoid frustration.....

www.ocsd.org

go to 'e-services'
slide down to 'sheriff's blotter'
insert the city that you want to see....

I always choose 30 day view...be patient--it sometimes takes a few seconds to load.
The most recent police calls won't have notes keyed in yet....if you scroll further down, you can see comments....much of this is very hard to understand until you learn some codes and lingo.... Just by glancing at my town today, I see that a house on a street in my development had a tresspasser, which is not good since we live behind guarded gates.

(you can also see the part to click that shows you the codes which are interesting)

also, this site shows who has been arrested, what for, and where they are located....(hopefully you'll never have to go bail anybody out)

Old 05-06-2009, 10:09 PM

301 posts, read 1,510,820 times
Very interesting. Thanks for posting this.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 12,215 times
Last night (2:30 AM), a helicopter flew overhead for a few minutes, just north of our Serrano Park. It was there long enough to wake me up. Sometime in mid July, two helicopters were flying around for over 20 mins, VERY loud. I've heard there is a small minimum security jail facility off Musick/Irvine Blvd in Irvine. Maybe they are conduction training or something. Regardless, these continued helicopter disturbances after 9PM are unacceptable. We need to band together to stop this nonsense. If they can stop this kind of thing from happening in Newport Beach, we can stop here. It's time law enforcement crossed the lines of common sense - if there's no emergency, there should be no helicopters. Those interested in joining against this nuisance can reach me at [email]lmeier1962@gmail.com[/email]

Old 08-24-2009, 10:06 AM

674 posts, read 1,619,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hconstan View Post
Hey all, here in Lake Forest tonight. A helicopter keeps flying over our complex. Not sure why. It goes away, circles and comes back every 2-3 minutes or so. It is extremely loud. Is there any way to check a Sheriff's bulletin or anything to find out why they do these? Are they trying to catch a criminal, or report on a traffic accident? Lake Forest is not so urban that i'd think a major traffic accident would cause so many huge delays that they'd need this many helicopter flybys.

When we first moved here, last year, it seemed like Saturday night around 10:30pm they always did this. Flew over us, flew away, came back in 5-10 minutes, rinse repeat.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

- H.

I was housesitting with a friend in Huntington for a few weeks. In Huntington Beach they have become a part of the evening background symphony of the neighborhood. Its ongoing. All the time.
In fact, there is so much of it we joked we could basically take the dog for a walk at night and be guided by the spotlights from the choppers.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:59 PM

123 posts, read 259,933 times
I thought these helicopter programs were shut down in Newport Beach. Former O.C. police helicopters to be sold | able, - News - The Orange County Register

And yet I still hear these annoying things at 11pm on a week night, flying over my apartment complex. So Moderator cut: Language annoying! Not to mention a waste of tax payer money.

Last edited by bhcompy; 01-29-2013 at 12:56 AM..

Old 01-29-2013, 01:59 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Did you see this part?

"Since the ABLE choppers' grounding, Costa Mesa and Newport each have formed and later renewed contracts for police helicopter services with the city of Huntington Beach."

Then there's this: H.B. signs 3-year police chopper deal with Newport | city, beach, police - News - The Orange County Register
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County