Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 12:06 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,149 times

Advertisements

There are very few yuppies in OC. I think you should look up the meaning of "yuppie." In fact, I would say OC is just like any other middle/upper-middle class suburb of any city...mostly families, not yuppies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 12:10 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Oh wow, let's trash people who live better and possess different views to pad my fragile self-esteem.

Actually OC is a really nice place that became even better when the productive American citizens fled L.A. and caused the OC boom over the past 30 years.

Material, racist, and xenophobic. Funny, I encountered more of that in LA and SF than I ever did in O.C.
You have your opinion and I have mine. But many have stepped up in this particular forum to express this POV about OC. We must not all be seeing things.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
You have your opinion and I have mine. But many have stepped up in this particular forum to express this POV about OC. We must not all be seeing things.
and how many have totally agreed with you? I would say the opposite: most have argued it isn't quite what you are describing.

Nita

Old 11-17-2009, 01:17 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
OK then, instead of yuppies, perhaps I should have said "Rude, snobby, obnoxious, materialistic, greedy people" of all ages. That would have been a bit more accurate.
Yes,if you hang out with,and move in the same social circles as,"The Real Housewives of Orange County" then I would tend to agree with you.However,visit the areas mentioned in the last paragraph of post #17 and much of it will be very down to earth and working and middle class.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:28 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
To me Orange County doesn't seem any more materialistic than any other affluent suburban areas in the United States. In fact in some aspects it seems that Orange County is a place for people who are well grounded. I saw an article a couple years ago that mentioned Orange County as having one of the highest rates of charitable giving. The article also mentioned that San Francisco City & County had one of the lowest rates of charitable giving, so I don't know how you can say that Orange County stands out as overly greedy or overly pretentious.
Add selfish and self-centered to the list.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:08 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,230 times
Quote:
All over OC. I've spent lots of time there, in the coastal towns especially. I know what's up with you all. If you don't see it, maybe it's because you are indoctrinated into it, and are a part of it yourself?

The OC has a huge reputation for being full of rich snobs. It also has a reputation for being especially racist and elitist. Many people there believe they are of the aristocratic class, and believe they are superior.

If that's how you want to live, that's cool. Just admit it at least.
This is trolling at its finest........

Thank you very much for knowing all about me and the other hundreds of thousands of people who reside here......if you knew me and the details of my life you wouldn't be saying what you are saying.

The reputation part is partially true, and Costa Mesa has its share of emaciated middle-aged ladies that want to be chic, but even there in that city are plenty of working-class neighborhoods.

And I wonder if perhaps you are projecting something here from your own personality?

Old 11-17-2009, 02:18 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and how many have totally agreed with you? I would say the opposite: most have argued it isn't quite what you are describing.

Nita
You know nmnita, nothing said here will change anything anyway. So, at this point I am officially halting my wrath upon Newport Beach. Count me out of further negative OC discussions. Time to move on!

Old 11-17-2009, 04:48 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The problem is that the people that make these statements are the people like yuppies and hipsters, mostly young and without children, who come and look for somewhere like Hollywood to live and find it lacking because there aren't too many people that see life the same way they do because it's mostly families and the singles are generally wealthy executives, beach bums, or bros. Bros are anathema to urbanites because they are "crass and uncultured" suburbanites driving loud vehicles, sporting tattoos and Affliction tshirts. That makes them racists, homophobes, etc just because they're different. Singles mingle with singles, young with young, etc no matter where someone lives so that is all these people know and then they come here to ***** about it.

Notice you rarely see any regular family people complaining about the crap these people do, like the OP. I live in Los Alamitos in an apartment, and I've lived in this area my whole life. It's diverse, it's safe, it's not racist, and the wealthy co-mingle with the middle and poorer classes no problem. Most of OC is very much like Los Alamitos. Some areas are nice, some are poorer, but generally nice, family oriented people.

There are a few enclaves in south OC that have a reputation for being snobby, and if you believe Fox, Orange County is entirely encapsulated within the boundaries of cities like Newport Coast, but the reality is that it is a very small minority of the county and most rich areas are like that regardless. Malibu has no different reputation than Newport Beach, but the people of Malibu have managed to seclude themselves better from the regular riffraff like us so they have less trouble. Even then, they are still in the news at regular intervals because the homeowners love to block off access to the beach because they believe that the beach is their property and not the property of the common man who can't afford a beachfront home in Malibu.

Basically it's a bunch of hyped up crap from people that came to the wrong place for their type of lifestyle, and when people don't conform to that lifestyle they instantly become bigots, fascists, rich *******s, etc despite doing nothing but living their own life.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:33 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
All over OC. I've spent lots of time there, in the coastal towns especially. I know what's up with you all. If you don't see it, maybe it's because you are indoctrinated into it, and are a part of it yourself?

The OC has a huge reputation for being full of rich snobs. It also has a reputation for being especially racist and elitist. Many people there believe they are of the aristocratic class, and believe they are superior.

If that's how you want to live, that's cool. Just admit it at least.
Uhhh... I'm in Fontana.

However, I did live in OC from 1960 to 2004. My dad owned a gas station and a garage, my mom was a homemaker and part-time front office gal for a veterinarian, and I grew up to be a firefighter. My parents lived in the house I grew up in (Capistrano Beach) until they died, which was a 1950s era stucco box, with no A/C and no cable TV, which was surrounded by orange and avocado trees until the mid-nineties.

I'm so rich, so aristocratic, so racist, and so elitist, that I chose to move from South OC to South Fontana, where I'm surrounded by people with brown skin.

Do you have any other stereotypes I can burst like a pin into a pus-filled infected boil?

Old 11-17-2009, 06:50 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Fontucky - did you go to Dana Hills?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County