Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 01:46 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,243,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What about the humidity? I'd hate to have a job where I had to wear a suit in Hawaii.
I've found the humidity in Hawaii to not be that bad - it's not like the humidity in the eastern U.S. Of course I've only been there in winter, but from what I've been told, it's not bad in summer either, except when something happens that reverses winds or something and pushes humidity up from the south. I would imagine it has something to do with the cooler ocean water around Hawaii (compared to the hot water in the Gulf of Mexico).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 05:07 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,217,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've found the humidity in Hawaii to not be that bad - it's not like the humidity in the eastern U.S. Of course I've only been there in winter, but from what I've been told, it's not bad in summer either, except when something happens that reverses winds or something and pushes humidity up from the south. I would imagine it has something to do with the cooler ocean water around Hawaii (compared to the hot water in the Gulf of Mexico).
Yes, but the water around Hawaii is warm, certainly warmer in wintertime than the waters of the Gulf.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:12 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,217,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
You sound much like us: This was(is) our problem also.

As an older beach/sun person, it seems to me the summers and winters are just too windy and cool near the ocean in coastal CA. Having been on the East Coast the past few summers (I’m semi-retired)…I forget what real summer is like on the beach; I went to Virginia Beach, VA and Long Island, NY in June - and it’s like 85 F, sunny, clear, the water currents are warm. I went to North Myrtle Beach, SC last fall - the warmth of the Atlantic is amazing - 81 F in October. Once you get used to the warm ocean waters on the East Coast…it’s tough to step foot back in the freezing Pacific lol.

For me, a lover of heat/beaches/the coast… the worst thing I could have ever done was go to Florida (lol). Florida spoils you for heat. My favorite place in the USA will always be Key West (although Miami is full of heat and energy). There is nothing like leaving coastal California in a wet/cool El Nino year..and landing in hot, sunny Florida. My greatest memory will always be the first time I saw the Overseas Highway from Miami to the Florida Keys. You felt like you were leaving the United States and were driving right to the Caribbean. If you love heat/summer/the sun…you should see it at least once in your life. It's hard to picture life in the Florida Keys looks like this in the middle of winter:

That looks pretty. I wanna go so bad. Have you been to Hawaii?

Old 06-11-2012, 02:51 PM

371 posts, read 816,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
You sound much like us: This was(is) our problem also.

As an older beach/sun person, it seems to me the summers and winters are just too windy and cool near the ocean in coastal CA. Having been on the East Coast the past few summers (I’m semi-retired)…I forget what real summer is like on the beach; I went to Virginia Beach, VA and Long Island, NY in June - and it’s like 85 F, sunny, clear, the water currents are warm. I went to North Myrtle Beach, SC last fall - the warmth of the Atlantic is amazing - 81 F in October. Once you get used to the warm ocean waters on the East Coast…it’s tough to step foot back in the freezing Pacific lol.

For me, a lover of heat/beaches/the coast… the worst thing I could have ever done was go to Florida (lol). Florida spoils you for heat. My favorite place in the USA will always be Key West (although Miami is full of heat and energy). There is nothing like leaving coastal California in a wet/cool El Nino year..and landing in hot, sunny Florida. My greatest memory will always be the first time I saw the Overseas Highway from Miami to the Florida Keys. You felt like you were leaving the United States and were driving right to the Caribbean. If you love heat/summer/the sun…you should see it at least once in your life. It's hard to picture life in the Florida Keys looks like this in the middle of winter:
What qualifies as "good weather" can change depending on what you are doing. It's one thing to say that a location has "good weather" for everyday living, it's another to say it has "good weather" for the beach.

Coastal Southern California has good weather for everyday living. If you are going to work, running errands, BBQing with the family, taking a Sunday evening walk in your neighbrhood, taking a jog, playing with your dog, watching your kid's soccer game etc... etc... etc... (basically, all the stuff people do all day during an average day in life), then Coastal Southern California has the best weather. It's dry, its usually sunny, it does not get too hot or cold during the day. You don't want to have to deal with weather when you are doing all of those things listed above, and you usually don't when living here.

But, because what constitutes "good weather" can change depending on the setting and activity, if you look just at "beach weather," coastal Southern California does not match up to some other places, especially during the summer. 70 degrees and breezy is perfect for an afteroon spent running errands and then taking a walk around the neighborhood, but not as great if you plan on sitting on the beach in a bathing suit. Then, you are looking at something closer to 85 degrees, which is rare on our beaches, but common the East Coast.

So, if you are like semi-retired (like Trade Wind) and want to hang out on the beach all day, go to Florida.

If you like to do other things, or just want good weather to get you through the average work day, then you want coastal Southern California.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:58 PM

88 posts, read 270,175 times
I'd have to agree with the OP. I'm not a person who likes variety, but I like variety in the weather for sure. I've lived all over the US. Northeast, Mid-atlantic, Pacific Northwest, Western US, South, and have now been in CA for over 10 years. I think if SAD because of constant sunny days was a thing, I would have it... I loved as a kid waking up to see the freshly fallen snow... sudden days off from school, or getting to go sledding etc. I love the refreshing sensation of the cold fresh air from the snow or Fall weather.... And then the robins and flowers announcing the beginning of spring, which was all the better for having just had months of winter. To me, there is something fun about going, "It's summer! The community pool is open now!" or "it's beach time!" etc. - it makes things special... not every day.

But, as a previous poster mentioned, it really is about whether of not you will utilize or like to utilize the good weather...I am mostly a house mouse, and love sitting in and reading a good book, or cooking, or watching a nice movie and snuggling with the hubby... So, I don't utilize or like the weather here in CA really. Unless, I knew the nice weather would be short lived... then, I would utilize it. Because it's fun an exciting, and you've got to use it while it lasts. But, I feel the same about winter and snow too.

Also, I think there are the types of people who are refreshed by cold, and those who when cold, want to stay still and keep warm. And again, those who want to lay around and stay cool in the heat in order not to get hotter, and those who heat makes them want to be active. I actually realized on a recent trip back east that I had loads more energy in the cold than I ever do in the heat of CA. I'd take snowshoe running any day, over cycling at the beach in the heat! But, to each his/her own!

Old 06-22-2012, 10:49 AM

768 posts, read 719,398 times
I agree with the original poster. It is only warm in southern California about two months out of the year. You live at the beach and most of the time the wind coming off the cold Pacific Ocean goes right through you. When it is nice and warm, everyone who lives inland comes to the beach which makes it miserable to go anywhere. I lived in southern California for well over 50 years. The orange trees are all gone. So are the lemon groves. Between the smog, the traffic, crowds, crime, mass importation of illegals, the nanny/police state California has become and greedy, self-serving, lying legislators and others controlling California, I just couldn't stand it anymore!

Old 06-22-2012, 01:54 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,466,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
I agree with the original poster. It is only warm in southern California about two months out of the year. You live at the beach and most of the time the wind coming off the cold Pacific Ocean goes right through you.
You live near Seattle and think SoCal's ocean breezes are cold?

Old 06-23-2012, 09:22 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,571,986 times
Sorry, but an ocean breeze coming over Puget Sound is substantially colder than the same ocean breeze coming over the Santa Monica or Huntington Beach piers.

Be serious!!!

LA is indeed a desert city surrounded by mountains; that's not a surprise.

Furthermore, SoCal is essentially bone dry for over half of a typical year; is that a bad thing?

Old 06-23-2012, 10:38 PM

768 posts, read 719,398 times
Of course it's colder in Seattle! My point was it's not sunny and hot or even warm at the beach year round in southern California as many from out of state are led to believe. In Seattle one expects it to be cold and thereby plans for it.

Not sure what you're referring to about the mountains. I don't think I said anything regarding that.

And yes, living in an area that is "bone dry for over half of a typical year" is not beneficial. It also isn't pretty or clean.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:29 PM

573 posts, read 1,361,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
Of course it's colder in Seattle! My point was it's not sunny and hot or even warm at the beach year round in southern California as many from out of state are led to believe. In Seattle one expects it to be cold and thereby plans for it.

Not sure what you're referring to about the mountains. I don't think I said anything regarding that.

And yes, living in an area that is "bone dry for over half of a typical year" is not beneficial. It also isn't pretty or clean.
Are you serious , dude if a yearly average high of 75 degrees to a yearly average low of 60 degrees is not hot enough for you, you have some problems, you should come out to OC or LA these next weeks, and see our average 80 degree days and night averages of 70 to 65 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County