Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 11:32 PM

143 posts, read 386,004 times

Advertisements

Having lived in both Seattle and Southern California, it's really no contest for me. I'll never live in Seattle again. But to each his own. It's nice to visit from about July 15th through the end of August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 11:34 PM

768 posts, read 718,930 times
Of course it's colder in Seattle! My point was it's not sunny and hot or even warm at the beach year round in southern California as many from out of state are led to believe. In Seattle one expects it to be cold and thereby plans for it.

Not sure what you're referring to about the mountains. I don't think I said anything regarding that.

And yes, living in an area that is "bone dry for over half of a typical year" is not beneficial. It also isn't pretty or clean.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:47 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
Of course it's colder in Seattle! My point was it's not sunny and hot or even warm at the beach year round in southern California as many from out of state are led to believe.
It may not be tropical, but to someone visiting from Chicago or New York in January, 65 and sunny in Huntington Beach certainly is warm.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:00 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
It is only warm in southern California about two months out of the year.
**SNORT** When did the inland valleys and the deserts stop being a part of Southern Calif?

Old 06-24-2012, 01:21 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,859 times
I'm with the OP on this one, I honestly can't stand the static weather we have here. I want to have snow, thunderstorms, and more rain. People here complain when it gets below 65 and above 85. Oh boohoo. The temperature changing 10 degrees up or down is considered "unpredictable" despite how it happens all the time. Yes it's a little weird how it can get really hot in January or cold rainstorms like we had in April, but it's not that bad. Everyone here who complains about how terrible they have it here should go live in the Midwest for a year and then come back.
My mum happens to be one of these people. I can't stand seeing her wearing a jacket when it's only 70. Being from Oregon, 70 is warm, that's shorts and tank top weather. Yeah Oregon's weather is mostly rainy and not rainy, there's not much seasonal variety there either, but at least it gets cold enough to have a somewhat normal winter, and at least there's autumn colours and spring blossoms (California has the latter, but it's as if they're blooming at the strangest times of the year).
Don't even get me started on the haze, at least it's better than it was 20 or really even 10 years ago.
Yes, I miss rain, people act like it's such a bad thing to like cold weather. Southern California has a very holiday like climate for me. When it's warm and sunny, my mind goes into lazy mode, it becomes hard for me to work and get out of holiday mode. I have a friend from Indiana who agrees with me on this. She loves it here, but says she can't live without 4 distinct seasons, and I can't blame her.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:37 AM

768 posts, read 718,930 times
"Are you serious , dude if a yearly average high of 75 degrees to a yearly average low of 60 degrees is not hot enough for you, you have some problems, you should come out to OC or LA these next weeks, and see our average 80 degree days and night averages of 70 to 65 degrees."

I guess you missed the part where I stated that I lived in Orange County for well over 50 years. Weather alone does not equate to paradise. I also mentioned that the orange groves are gone as well as the lemon groves. No more fragrant lemon blooms in the spring. No more fresh, local oranges. Holidays are a hassle because traffic and crowds make it nearly impossible to get anywhere. But plenty of concrete, traffic, crowds and pollution. California has lost it's charm for me. Guess you had to live there then in order to understand now.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:14 AM

583 posts, read 884,897 times
Quote:
I guess you missed the part where I stated that I lived in Orange County for well over 50 years. Weather alone does not equate to paradise. I also mentioned that the orange groves are gone as well as the lemon groves. No more fragrant lemon blooms in the spring. No more fresh, local oranges. Holidays are a hassle because traffic and crowds make it nearly impossible to get anywhere. But plenty of concrete, traffic, crowds and pollution. California has lost it's charm for me. Guess you had to live there then in order to understand now.
California's peak was probably around 1955.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:07 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
California's peak was probably around 1955.
I would say 1965. Grew up in OC and graduated in 64, so familiar with both decades.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:44 PM

77 posts, read 347,149 times
Yes, there is no such thing as perfect. However, OC, especially the coastal areas, has, IMO, the best weather in the world. If the weather was so terrible here, you tell me why the area is so popular and expensive. Sure, if you like a constant change of weather all of the time, CA is terrible. But the fact is, most people prefer a mild climate where you don't have to worry about shoveling show, frying after being outside for 5 minutes, and stressing over what to wear every day.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:03 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
LA indeed does have four seasons, but the range in average high & low temperatures is quite small compared to most of the rest of the country.

70 degrees for the Rose Bowl game isn't that hard to take, is it?

We only receive around 15" of rain per year, as opposed to 38 inches for Seattle, and a whopping 64" for a really soggy city such as Pensacola, FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County