Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:36 AM

5 posts, read 8,677 times

Advertisements

Hello

I have been reading some of the threads and looking at this site and it seems Irvine is a nice area including its surrounding cities. I will be working in Santa Fe Springs. I am wondering how long of a commute I should expect and is that even practical. We have two kids 7 and 4, and would like to move to a very family oriented community. Is there any part of Irvine I should rule out? Is there neighboring cities I could look into as well that has good schools and is family oriented?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 11:46 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,201,982 times
fyi, santa fe springs is going to be at least an hour commute each way from irvine during normal commuting hours. i used to live in anaheim and commute to SFS and it was 30-45 minutes. if irvine is in your budget, you may also consider cerritos or fullerton, which also have good schools from what i hear.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
Add Los Alamitos, Rossmoor, Cypress, Seal Beach, or even the far west ends of Garden Grove and Westminster to the list. Irvine to Santa Fe Springs is way too far and don't even think about taking the 5.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:57 AM

I looked into Fullerton once. I heard though there were some bad areas in Fullerton. I will be deciding on an apartment before I move so I don't want to end up in the wrong area with my kids.
I hear Irvine is nice everywhere. The only issue I was worried about in Irvine was ending up near a Frat house or something. Is there an area in Irvine that is heavy with students?
I will look into Cerritos. I have not heard of that city before.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:59 AM

I looked into Los Alamitos once. It did look nice. I will look into that more. Thank you for your help. Wouldn't Seal Beach be just as much of a commute as Irving?

Old 01-24-2010, 12:02 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,768,787 times
I've you're looking for an area with a good selection of apartments to fit your needs, hard to go wrong with Los Alamitos. Excellent family neighborhood, excellent schools, large selection of apartments, etc. Most of the apartments are located in Apartment Row south of Katella and east of Los Alamitos Blvd. Commute to Santa Fe Springs isn't too bad, my wife does it every day in about 20 minutes or so.

Cerritos is next door to Santa Fe Springs, has good schools, is a solid family community, and is upper-middle class, but there aren't too many apartment options in the community. The best ones you'll probably find are on South Street east of Moody/Carmenita.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:04 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,768,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonof4 View Post
I looked into Los Alamitos once. It did look nice. I will look into that more. Thank you for your help. Wouldn't Seal Beach be just as much of a commute as Irving?
Northern Seal Beach borders Los Alamitos/Rossmoor, so not bad, but the main portion of Seal Beach would be an added commute, but not nearly as bad as Irvine.

If you were dead set on Irvine, there is a Metrolink train that runs from Irvine through Santa Fe Springs that would improve your commute, but you'd have to find a way to get from the station to your place of work.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
I've you're looking for an area with a good selection of apartments to fit your needs, hard to go wrong with Los Alamitos. Excellent family neighborhood, excellent schools, large selection of apartments, etc. Most of the apartments are located in Apartment Row south of Katella and east of Los Alamitos Blvd. Commute to Santa Fe Springs isn't too bad, my wife does it every day in about 20 minutes or so.

Cerritos is next door to Santa Fe Springs, has good schools, is a solid family community, and is upper-middle class, but there aren't too many apartment options in the community. The best ones you'll probably find are on South Street east of Moody/Carmenita.
Ya. I looked into Los Alamitos once. I liked it actually. The crime seemed low, the schools are nice. I however had a hard time finding an available apartment. It did not seem like they had many apartments or townhouse rentals. I have been looking on rent.com, and hotpads.com. Both have been very valuable in my search for a nice apartment, but neither had that many choices for rentals.
Thank you for your help.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:40 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
Quote:
Ya. I looked into Los Alamitos once. I liked it actually. The crime seemed low, the schools are nice. I however had a hard time finding an available apartment. It did not seem like they had many apartments or townhouse rentals. I have been looking on rent.com, and hotpads.com. Both have been very valuable in my search for a nice apartment, but neither had that many choices for rentals.
Thank you for your help.
Not every place advertises on the web. Sometimes just driving around and looking for "for rent" signs is good enough. There's tons of vacant apartments in OC right now.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:16 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,486,120 times
Quote:
I looked into Fullerton once. I heard though there were some bad areas in Fullerton. I will be deciding on an apartment before I move so I don't want to end up in the wrong area with my kids.
I hear Irvine is nice everywhere. The only issue I was worried about in Irvine was ending up near a Frat house or something. Is there an area in Irvine that is heavy with students?
I will look into Cerritos. I have not heard of that city before.
I hope you will take a trip out here before moving.

Yes, there are some "bad" areas in Fullerton, but not enough to considering striking the entire city off your list. There are several universities there so there are lots of apartments. The trick is to find the best place. PM me if you want more details.

There is also La Mirada, which is over the line in LA County and chock full of apartments; Whittier is another place to check out.

Irvine may be "nice" everywhere but it is not the only place to live and it is expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County