Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 01:04 PM

10 posts, read 21,766 times

Advertisements

Hey there. I'm looking to make a move from Austin to Southern California, and I'm trying to decide where to go. I'm bringing my business with me, so I'm pretty flexible on where I live. I'm looking to spend no more than $2500 on rent (I'd prefer $2000), and I'm not really interested in having a roommate.

Here's what I'm looking for, though I realize I might not be able to do all of these...

CLOSE TO WATER AND A MELLOW SURF BREAK: Right now, I live in a condo on Lake Austin, and I like to get on the water every day if I can (before or after work). I love to kayak, paddleboard, and surf. I don't have to live ON the water (can't afford it), but I'd like to be very close. I'm not a great surfer (yet!), so I'm still looking for mushy waves for a longboard. The two places I've surfed in CA are San Onofre (loved it for an all-day Saturday) and Old Man's Reef at Tourmaline Surf Park on Pacific Beach in San Diego (crowded, but still really fun). So I'd love to be close to a mellow (referring to both the surfers and the waves) surf break. Close enough so that I could get up early and surf before work.

HAS A CITY LIFE: Part of the reason I'm moving to California is that I've lived in Austin since college and graduate school, and while it's an awesome city, it's just starting to feel small. I'm looking for an area with a fun bar scene that has a somewhat sophisticated/cosmopolitan feel.

GOOD SINGLES SCENE FOR 30s PROFESSIONALS: I'm interested in meeting professionals, but I also like diversity. I have surfer friends, professional friends, artist friends, and church friends, and I enjoy meeting all kinds of people.

HOMES WITH CHARACTER: I'd love a place with some character. Not interested in anything that feels suburban, and also not really interested in a condo in a huge complex or a high-rise. I'm fine with living in a tiny 1-bedroom or studio, as long as it has some light and some greenery.

COOL CHURCH NEARBY: I'm also looking for a lively and engaged church community that believes in Jesus and in serving others.

I'm considering anywhere from Santa Barbara to San Diego, and I'd love any input on beach communities in Orange County (or elsewhere in SoCal). Communities I'm looking at include Santa Monica and South Bay in LA, Huntingdon Beach and Newport Beach in OC, and Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, and Ocean Beach in San Diego.

I appreciate your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 06:43 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
My 20-something co-worker from the East Coast was big into surfing. He moved to Hermosa Beach and surfed every morning before work. Then went to San Onofre and other spots up and down the coast on weekends. I don't know how Hermosa meets your other criteria, but I believe it's a hot spot for young transplanted professionals, or at least it was 10 years ago when he and I both lived out there.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:24 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,190,627 times
Somewhere in San Diego....best part of SoCal.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:07 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times
Heck why stop there with the SO. Cal experince...why don't you have hard core Mexicans...I mean Mexican American's lube you up for the taking..I mean have fun... nothing bad ever happens here..I'm only moving back to Colorado..because I can't afford to live in California,,Yea that's right..it's
all about COL.California IS GREAT,,just don't hit your head on the educated out migration..California is great..it's just swell...Ok so every one who grew up here has left..don't let that discourage you..I love Southern California ....it's realy reasonable now...minus the gangs and crime..excuse me...you
have a good job , and you are educated...no of course you are not in the minority..every one here loves white people...keep telling your self that JACK ASS..or get real and get the F out of Cali...ya I sai Cali..guess I'm not a real forniAN..OH WELLLLLLLL...

Old 03-21-2010, 09:11 PM

425 posts, read 1,955,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Heck why stop there with the SO. Cal experince...why don't you have hard core Mexicans...I mean Mexican American's lube you up for the taking..I mean have fun... nothing bad ever happens here..I'm only moving back to Colorado..because I can't afford to live ib California,,Yea that's right..it's
all about COL.California IS GREAt,,just don't hit your head on the educated migration..California is great..it's just swell...Ok so nobody who grew up here hasleft..don't let that discourage you..I love Southern California ....it's realy reasonable now...minus the gangs and crime..excuse me...you
have a good job , and you are educated...no of course you are not in the minority..every one here loves white people...keep telling your self that JACK ASS..or get real and get the F out of Cali...ya I sai Cali..guess I'm not a real forniAN..OH WELLLLLLLL...
Seek therapy.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladoll View Post
Seek therapy.
YA seek paradise...it's all good why you trying to hate a brotha..Like I said California..what could go wrong..why you haten....Nothing ever bad happens
here..if you are White, educated...SEEK THERAPY..THERE IS YOUR PERFECT ANSWER.. THANKS FOR THE FRIENDLY ADVICE, I might possibly return the favor
after I take off my skin head jacket....JACK ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-21-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
YA seek paradise...it's all good why you trying to hate a brotha..Like I said California..what could go wrong..why you haten....Nothing ever bad happens
here..if you are White, educated...SEEK THERAPY..THERE IS YOUR PERFECT ANSWER.. THANKS FOR THE FRIENDLY ADVICE, I might possibly return the favor
after I take off my skin head jacket....JACK ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND FOR THE OP I moved 500 yards from the ocean in my early 30's..I bought a $1,200 Stuart Long Board and some Sex Wax...live in Newport
off of 15th to 45th and than get the F out of dodge..California Sucks ouside the beach communities if you didn't get the memo...and ya inland sucks..don't
even tell new visitors to the area different..and lie to their face..live in California live on the coast or move inland or Idaho..same difference.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:10 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
santa monica, hands down.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:56 PM

10 posts, read 21,766 times
Default How does Santa Monica beat other places?

I'd love to get more thoughts on why you say Santa Monica? I definitely like that it's part of LA. I'm a little hesitant to be in Orange County. Seems like I should do LA County or just go to San Diego.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:12 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
LA = bigger city, more diverse, grittier, more pollution, entertainment industry

SD = less traffic, less cosmopolitan, friendlier people, more churches, military

OC is similar to SD without a downtown and it is even more conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County