Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 01:54 PM

3 posts, read 5,557 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate from Arkansas to Oregon. I am considering Eugene, OR. I am looking for a community that is responsive to alternate types of healthcare. Of course I hear that most of Oregon is. Which areas or neighborhoods in Eugene are good places to live and have less crime? Are there very many farmer's markets in the area? Is this a dog friendly town with people walking their dogs often? How are the food stores and restuarants in the area? What do you like most about Eugene?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 02:35 PM

41 posts, read 119,229 times
Eugene is a beautiful city with lots of diversity, culture, and recreation. I would avoid the campus area, Whitaker neighborhood, Glenwood, and some of those types of areas, but Santa Clara is nice. The South Hills are very nice, and I especially like the areas outlying Eugene. Less traffic, but close. You may wish to look into areas out around Fern Ridge, or even outlying areas of Springfield have much to offer.

Dog parks - yes. Alternative healthcare - yes! Farmer's markets - yes! It's not nearly as dog friendly as it is bicycle crazy. Wow - they make every effort to accommodate cyclists in this city, and there are tons of them.

Very easy to get around town most any time of day. Some areas bottleneck a bit worse than others, but generally speaking, if it's the size town you're looking for, you'd be hard-pressed to find one nearly as beautiful!

Old 09-25-2011, 03:20 PM

Thanks Connie!

Old 09-25-2011, 03:52 PM

I keep reading posts on other sites about the high crime with the homeless and being accosted and such. Can anyone living in Eugene give me more information about the crime rate there?

Old 09-30-2011, 09:30 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
I just drove the I-5 from Portland to LA and back. There were a lot of hitchhikers in the LA area, and most of them I would have possibly picked up based on looks alone. But around Eugene, the number of hitch hikers was double the total I saw in the LA area. Most of them were very dirty, very ragged and in groups. Also a large number of pan handlers, even at rest stops.

That all being said, I like Eugene in general. I've never spent a lot of time there, but I have visited and driven through hundreds of times. If I didn't have Portland to fall back on, Eugene would be a welcoming city for me.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:06 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwest_bound View Post
I am looking to relocate from Arkansas to Oregon. I am considering Eugene, OR. I am looking for a community that is responsive to alternate types of healthcare. Of course I hear that most of Oregon is. Which areas or neighborhoods in Eugene are good places to live and have less crime? Are there very many farmer's markets in the area? Is this a dog friendly town with people walking their dogs often? How are the food stores and restuarants in the area? What do you like most about Eugene?

Check out the www.oregonfishingforum.com

Many of the friendly members live around Eugene.

Best of Luck to y'all...

Most folks have & love their doggie Pal's.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:22 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
If by "alternative health care" you mean faith healing, be aware that there are parents sitting in Oregon prisons convicted of manslaughter for letting their child die without taking them to a doctor.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:19 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If by "alternative health care" you mean faith healing, be aware that there are parents sitting in Oregon prisons convicted of manslaughter for letting their child die without taking them to a doctor.

I assumed they meant naturopath, chiropractor, etc. All of which are very normal out here. I don't think anyone considers those alternative out here.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:15 AM

82 posts, read 152,018 times
I think by alternative medicine he's talking about weed. If so oregon has pretty loose marijuana laws and it is medically approved here.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:57 PM

58 posts, read 298,116 times
You should take a vacation out here first.

I knew OODLES of Arkansas that relocated out here in the 90's when Reynolds Metals shut down (they took jobs at the Troutdale plant)

They struggled mightily with the move and ALL of them that I knew went back. They were very unhappy.

I dont want to be a buzzkill, but you should seriously consider coming out and trying it out first. (not to say that you and them are the same)

Arkansans sure are nice people. The nicest I've come across in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon