Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2007, 05:39 AM

39 posts, read 358,178 times

Advertisements

I may be moving there in approximately 18 months or so.

Housing costs, crime rates, demographics... etc etc etc.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 08:50 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,032,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DML1651 View Post
I may be moving there in approximately 18 months or so.

Housing costs, crime rates, demographics... etc etc etc.

Thanks in advance.
Hope we beat you to it.

We drove through Grants Pass today, wondering if we should move there. Favorite town in southern Oregon.

But we are sticking to our plan of Hillsboro - must sell first.

Use rmls.com

Old 09-24-2007, 02:25 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Hillsboro is the west boundary of the Portland Metropolitan Area, and is not landlocked like so many other communities in the area. I have heard that Hillsboro is projected to double in population in the next 10 years (!).

For demographics and housing costs, just check the City-Data page for Hillsboro.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:39 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,034,103 times
Hillsboro is home to Intel's largest research/manufacturing facility in the world with 16000employees. It has a lot of high tech companies that have come there to be near Intel and many new ones have sprung up, started by the brain power that Intel attracts. Hillsboro has about 85,000 residents, but I sincerely doubt it will double in ten years. I don't know where that figure came from. I study demographics and it is nowhere near growing that rapidly--unless it annexes huge unincorporated residential areas.

Hillsboro is located in Washington County, west of the City of Portland. It is Oregon's second largest county in population with more than half a million people and it is also one of Oregon's most affluent counties with a highly educated population.

Hillsboro is the county seat of Washington County and has spent tens of millions of dollars on civic projects downtown--generally of the government office type. More development is planned and the city is trying to create a 24 hour urban area. The city is also surrounded by farmland so there is the duality of a large number of Mexicans in the area who work in the fields and canneries. The city is about an hour from the Oregon Coast. Commuting into Portland on the Sunset Highway can be a nightmare with all the traffic. As for housing prices, you'll be hard-pressed to find anything worthwhile under $300K if you're looking for a single family dwelling. There's lots of new construction. Hope this has helped.

Hope a

Old 09-25-2007, 11:37 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times
well, appearently, Hillsboro is also a hot retirement spot....there was an article in the Oregonian today, here is part of it...

"Now that U.S. News & World Report has published its first retirement-city rankings, its experts are at liberty to fill us in on how Hillsboro made the list with cities such as Bozeman, Mont.; Fayetteville, Ark.; and even San Francisco.
"Hillsboro was a place that came up fairly high on a number of different distinctions," said managing editor Tim Smart. Most importantly, it ranked high on data sets on climate, affordability and access to health care facilities..............
Alison Go, the U.S. News reporter who visited Hillsboro for three days in August, said she found a lot to explore in the city. Her story focuses on the area's "respectably long" golfing season, its vineyards and its rural feel but mentions the city's variety of cultural offerings such as its arts center and farmers markets........
Find the U.S. News report and searchable database at www.usnews.com/bestretirement"

maybe that'll help a bit too.
Tiffany

Old 09-26-2007, 09:27 AM

39 posts, read 358,178 times
Thanks to all the above posters. I'll likely only be in Oregon for 3 years while at grad school but I'm looking forward to the change from Ari(d)zona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon