Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 12:55 AM

2 posts, read 30,281 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm from Southern California (Orange County, to be specific) and I was wondering if anyone who has lived in the same general area has moved to Oregon? I will be going to college soon, and I have taken colleges in Oregon into consideration (Portland State[but I'm unsure about acceptance for this one yet], University of Oregon, Oregon State). I definitely want to go to college out of state, but nowhere too far, so Oregon seems like a good choice.
I absolutely hate Southern California, warm and hot weather, overpopulation and smog.
Anyways, I'd like to know about the main differences between Southern California and Oregon (if you don't already know, these colleges are located in Portland, Eugene, and Corvallis). I'll narrow it down to some specific questions, but feel free to add some tips and pointers:
-Is there any dramatic difference in expenses?
-How bad is the traffic in Portland, Eugene and Corvallis? I know from experience that the traffic in Los Angeles is terrible, so it won't be too much of a shock to me if it is just as bad in Oregon, too.
-It would be really helpful if someone who actually lives in one of these areas or nearby could tell me about the weather. Since I am from Southern California, I don't own many warm clothes. Are the winters similar to areas like Chicago (below freezing) or are they mild? Should I prepare for snow? Will I need specific boots to keep me warm and should I own coats? I'm guessing rain boots and an umbrella would be helpful? If anyone has the average temperature throughout the seasons/months, and the average rainfall or snowfall, that would be great. Also, any natural disasters that I should be aware of, other than earthquakes (used to that by now)?
-Is it overcrowded?
-Best area to find jobs out of Portland, Eugene and Corvallis?

These are just general questions, but as I said, any other tips or pointers are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 01:12 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
You're going to miss seeing the sun.

Cold, drizzly weather, no significant snow. The stats on weather are available at the main site www.city-data.com

Shop online at rei.com for rain gear etc.

Oregon is cheaper than Southern California.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:51 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
No, nobody in the history of California or Oregon has moved from Orange County to Oregon. Ever. Period.

Seriously though, I think Californians are probably one of Oregon's largest imports. There are a ton of jokes about it, and remnants of serious anti-Californication attitude through the states. As long as you don't complain about the rain and compare it to the Sun, you'll likely glide under the radar.

The weather is a lot different. You'll likely want to get a sweater or two to keep warm until you acclimate. Most people don't use umbrellas as they're easy to loose, a good rain proof hat will suffice.

The valley cities that you have listed rarely get snow though, once or twice a year on average.

On the natural disaster front we have flooding, earthquakes (even rarer then LA,) volcanoes, ice, high winds in areas. You also have to worry about indoor mold.

Cost of Living is slightly lower to LA in my experience. Gas, Clubs and bars are cheaper. Food and rent (depending on area of course,) about the same. Utilities a bit more in the winter, a lot less in the summer.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:40 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Don't buy any winter clothing until you get to Oregon. Then go to Columbia sportswear in the outlet mall in Woodburn and buy a jacket and a warm vest.

Portland traffic is heavy and the road system is a bit confusing. Corvallis, is a small town and traffic isn't bad at all. The road system is easy to figure out. Eugene has the most confusing road system in the entire country. Even with a map, you will be lost a lot.

The college in Eugene is liberal arts and the college in Corvallis is agricultural. The students and the activities in the town are extremely different. Eugene probably has a better football team (I hope nobody shoots me for that). I don't know anything about any of the colleges in Portland.

Corvallis rains a lot, but it the town is built for it: sidewalks, awnings over shop fronts. I have not lived in Eugene or Portland, but they probably get about the same amount of rain.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:11 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
You will find Eugene easy to get around in. The roads are numbered and Presidents north with Trees south in the university area. Rentals in Corvallis are almost non existent because of the high occupancy rate. I don't consider Portland State much more than a 4 year community college. You won't like Portland.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:00 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
If you want to know the average temperatures, rainfall etc. in these areas, please google the information. This subject has been beaten to death. You can even find the answers right here on CD if you do a search.

I live in Portland so I can tell you that is probably going to be the best place to find a job but that will depend upon what you are looking for. Many students are looking for work. Many people are looking for work but since Portland is the largest of the cities you are listing the chances are better here.

As far as schools go, PSU has some good programs as do the others but that will depend upon your major. As like most schools some subjects are better to major in than others. I have been told by someone with whom I used to work that they have an excellent business school and school of urban planning.

As suggested, wait until your move to buy your raingear here. You can get a much better deal than in Cali.

COL is lower than OC, I know because I have a sister living there, but can be high here in comparison to wages. Student housing, your best bet in Portland is not super cheap. Roommates are your friends.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:37 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
After you get up here, search on Google for a discount store with winter shoes, boots, etc.

such as Google

Old 11-28-2012, 07:59 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,312 times
Have you looked into Southern Oregon University in Ashland? Our weather isn't quite as rainy as some of the other places you mentioned. Not cheap to live here but a lovely place.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 PM

403 posts, read 867,583 times
Eugene is more of a college town full of college students & young professionals. Has everything from hippies to over achieves. Great for the under 30 crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon