Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 01:01 PM

8 posts, read 40,721 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are very seriousley considering a move from the area around Tucson, AZ, to the Medford/Grants Pass area of Oregon. We will be there in a couple of weeks to check out the area in person, but I also have a few specific questions that I'm hoping someone can help with.

I am a horse person- is the area "horse friendly?" Are there trails that horses are welcome on? How about horse property or places to board horses?

I have heard mention about there being issues with water availability or future water quantity. Can someone clarify the problems for me? Is there a great deal of problems with wells for rural properties there?

My husband and I also are interested in trips to the Oregon Dunes on the coast, as we have a sand rail. Anyone visit the dunes? How far are they from Grants Pass?

Last but not least, any recommendations for "must see" places when we visit the area? We are considering the jet boat tour.

We are very excited about our trip to Oregon in a couple of weeks- the area really seems like an outdoorsman's paradise, which suits us perfectly. Thanks in advance for any help/advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 05:13 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,853,538 times
Horse property is most likely to be outside these cities and not with in them. Yes it is an outdoorsman's paradise in southern Oregon. The sand dunes are out here by the coast. They range from just outside of North Bend all the way up to Florence Oregon. It something like 135 miles from Grants Pass to the dunes.

If you want to board a horse just look in the yellow pages when you visit the area. I'm sure there must be places close to Medford or Grants Pass. Ask a realtor in the areas about horse property. They will know more about it.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:48 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,046,149 times
the jet boat tour is pretty awesome!!! way better in the hot summer time IMO though. Everyone from my kids to my parents have really enjoyed the boats though really. Hummm, other must-sees....depends on how much traveling about you want to do.
Plenty of horse people out there, and all over Oregon. I dont have one personally, but Id bet if you talk to some who do on your trip here, they can point you to all sorts of terrific trails/clubs/etc.
Have you been to the coast before? Its quite incredible, especially the first time! I have family in Northern Texas that had never been to the beach before, and when my cousin saw it for the first time, all he could do was stand and stare and stare and stare. It was really neat, I know Ive taken it for granted before and to see it anew from someone elses eyes for the first time was quite a gift. Anyhow, its a whole different world to ride horses along the beach here too...
Best of luck to you, and please, do write about your experience after your visit!
Tiffany
ps, sorry, I cant help ya on the water issue...hopefully one of our members from there can be of more help than me!

Old 09-28-2007, 05:25 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDreams View Post
I have heard mention about there being issues with water availability or future water quantity. Can someone clarify the problems for me? Is there a great deal of problems with wells for rural properties there?
It depends on the property. The underground geology is very complex. Some areas are bone dry, some wells hit salt water, and some areas are artesian with 100 gallons a minute. There are also many springs. Check with the neighbors to find out what they do about water, and to see if you can do the same. If there are no good wells in the neighborhood, it's probably not a good idea to try to drill one.

Quote:
My husband and I also are interested in trips to the Oregon Dunes on the coast, as we have a sand rail. Anyone visit the dunes? How far are they from Grants Pass?
It's about 120 or 130 miles to Eugene, and another 45 miles or so to Florence. Call it 3 or 4 hours.

Quote:
Last but not least, any recommendations for "must see" places when we visit the area? We are considering the jet boat tour.
Crater lake is a must-see. It's in the Cascades, not the coast, but it's an easy day trip from Medford or Grants Pass.

If you want a really great drive, head west out of Grants Pass through Cave Junction and down the Redwood Highway (199) to the coast, stopping at the Oregon Caves. Then drive up the coast to Florence. That's one very long day's drive, or two days of really good fun.

Stop often. The islands off the south coast are a state wildlife preserve. With binoculars, you can see quite a bit. Cape Perpetua (just south of Yachats, pronounced ya-HOTS) at low tide is great for tide pools. There are state waysides all over the coast. Sea lion Caves. Devil's Churn. Face Rock. Allow yourself plenty of time to just poke around.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:06 AM

3 posts, read 16,825 times
Default Move to Oregon

Hi,

What a coincedence...I live in Phoenix, AZ, have two horses, and am thinking about moving to the Grants Pass area.

I would love to exchange info with you.

Thanks,

J

Old 09-30-2007, 10:23 PM

Thanks for the info, everyone! Can't wait to check the place out in person. We will be driving down the coast some before heading home, and I think we may check out the caves, too- looks like it's too late for the jet boats for the season. There's more to do than we can get done in our short stay, but hopefully we will be able to stay for good eventually.

J, when are you hoping to move? It will be a few months before we can, but it would be nice to know someone else escaping the desert heat! What a small world!

Thanks again, all... I'll let you know how the trip goes.
OregonDreams

Old 09-30-2007, 10:28 PM

Thanks in particular for the info on the coastal islands and tide pools, Larry... very little beats checking out the coast, in my book. I had no idea there was a wildlife preserve there.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 16,825 times
Default Oregon bound from Phoenix

Hi,

Not sure when I plan to move to the Grants Pass area...or even if I will. I'm in the "discovery phase" and plan a trip Nov. 2nd for a few days. Hopefully it won't be too rainy and cold as I plan on driving up/down the Oregon coast.

From what I gather, Oregon is terrific horse country.

I would love to hear about your trip.

Thanks,

J

Last edited by Waterlily; 10-08-2007 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: no emails

Old 10-18-2007, 05:11 PM

That sounds like an amazing property, Roguevalleyfarm. I won't be able to purchase anything that complete for a while... will probably need to start with an older home without too many improvements.

My husband and I loved our trip to Southern Oregon! It was amazing to see the fall colors. We couldn't get enough! We also enjoyed some quiet fishing on the banks of the Rogue, a drive to the coast where we explored from the Dunes down to California, lots of driving in the Rogue Valley, etc. Everyone said the weather was bad, but we loved the cool temps and the morning fog. We met lots of people and everyone we spoke to was very friendly. We did notice a few people who fit the "meth head" description, unfortunately. Still, all told it was a great trip and we hope to be back to the area before too long!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:24 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,046,149 times
Hey!!! Thanks for the update! Im so glad you had a good experience here in Oregon! Hopefully you'll find your dream home here soon.
btw, what was the place you liked best? What surprised you about Oregon? What are you most eager to return to explore more?
Tiffany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon