Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 05:59 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,480,003 times

Advertisements

You mean all those young people coming here to retire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 07:09 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,929,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Social Security is exempt, pensions, interest income, dividends and 401k distributions are not. Capital gains are taxed like ordinary income, so it can be a big whack if you sell stock or real estate. Oregon also has an estate tax. No way is Oregon a tax haven for seniors, except for the ones who don't have anything to tax anyway.
Oregon is actually one of the least friendly tax states for retirees. So it would seem that they are a benefit to the state economy as they bring tax money but do not compete for jobs.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:22 AM

191 posts, read 262,863 times
Well, they bring limited tax money (as stated, only the ones with nothing to tax really move in so...) Then, they organize and continue to cut taxes in their county even lower...chasing away young families that might sustain the county past the Boomer Bubble.

Thus, Southern Oregon?

What do I know? , I live in Texas! lol. (For now...)

"Oregon's fast aging rural population hinders economic growth, state economist says"

You can Google the article yourself if ya want. Don't kill the messenger here...:shock: ...(j/k!)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Old 12-07-2013, 09:48 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,847,705 times
You mean this article.

Oregon's fast-aging rural population hinders economic growth, state economist says | OregonLive.com

based on this blog post and paper presentation:
Migration | Oregon Office of Economic Analysis

It isn't that many poor retirees are moving IN to rural areas, changing the age balance, it is that young people and young families are moving OUT of rural areas looking for jobs. Other articles have pointed out that a higher percentage of retirees own homes than younger people, hence the retirees pay property taxes, which, along with income taxes, are the basis of the state's tax system (there are some property tax breaks for very low income retirees).

Old 12-07-2013, 10:00 AM

679 posts, read 880,258 times
If my husband and I retire to Oregon next year, we will bring enough to pay cash for our retirement home. We'll buy a car, furniture, and basically put dollars into the economy. We won't be taking jobs away from any locals. What's so bad about that?

Old 12-07-2013, 10:35 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,710,718 times
I think Roseburg would dry up and blow away if it were not for the retirees. Most of the timber jobs have gone away, either legislated out of existence or automated out of existence. The VA regional hospital makes the area attractive for vets, and low property prices make the area attractive for California equity retirement. California equity has been about the only thing supporting the home building industry in the area. A few years ago I saw a stat that about 40% of the population over age 65 lives in some sort of assisted living situation, which creates a huge job base for the community. All those nurses UCC cranks out are getting jobs somewhere. The retired codgers I hang out with at the Rod and Gun Club are about half from California, and you have to be pretty affluent to pursue shooting sports.

I didn't count property taxes, because in Oregon you can defer your property taxes for the rest of your life after age 65. I think having a reverse mortgage makes you ineligible for that program.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:33 PM

501 posts, read 1,297,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I think Roseburg would dry up and blow away if it were not for the retirees. Most of the timber jobs have gone away, either legislated out of existence or automated out of existence. The VA regional hospital makes the area attractive for vets, and low property prices make the area attractive for California equity retirement. California equity has been about the only thing supporting the home building industry in the area. A few years ago I saw a stat that about 40% of the population over age 65 lives in some sort of assisted living situation, which creates a huge job base for the community. All those nurses UCC cranks out are getting jobs somewhere. The retired codgers I hang out with at the Rod and Gun Club are about half from California, and you have to be pretty affluent to pursue shooting sports.

I didn't count property taxes, because in Oregon you can defer your property taxes for the rest of your life after age 65. I think having a reverse mortgage makes you ineligible for that program.
Did not know about the deferral program here in Oregon. I just googled it and if the following is what you were referring to, it looks like the age is 62 (or no age requirement for the disabled; and having either a reverse mortgage or a net worth >500k are disqualifying events):

Who qualifies?
By April 15th of the year you apply, you must meet all of the following requirements.
1. Be either:
• 62 years old, or
• A disabled citizen, who’s receiving or is eligibile to receive federal Social Security Disability benefits

http://www.oregon.gov/dor/PTD/docs/d...or_490-015.pdf

Old 12-08-2013, 09:31 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,303,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
If my husband and I retire to Oregon next year, we will bring enough to pay cash for our retirement home. We'll buy a car, furniture, and basically put dollars into the economy. We won't be taking jobs away from any locals. What's so bad about that?
That is good! Welcome to Oregon!

Old 12-08-2013, 06:50 PM

2,666 posts, read 3,866,733 times
I would think a lot pf people with means would and do leave Oregon at the time of retirement.
It does NOT seem to be an income tax friendly place.

Not sure yet if we will hang around PNW when we retire (about 10-12 yrs).
If we do though, I am almost sure we would move across river to WA.
Based on some calculation, the tax savings are just too great not to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: