Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:05 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,049,937 times

Advertisements

Oregon seems like a beatiful place to retire to. I like the not so much sunshine weather. I love seasons...fall, winter, spring. But honestly, people say that Oregon has a really bad EPIDEMIC Meth addiction problem and that many people in Oregon are sleazy trashy people because of Meth. I have heard that coporations like Micrsoft are full of meth addicts and that there is a big morale issue amongst many corporations in the NorthWestern U.S....specifically Oregon and Washington State. Is this merely what I hear on the news and from others, or is this actually taking place in Oregon ? Does Oregon really have an epidemic going on that one can notice just walking the streets ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 10:46 AM

480 posts, read 2,465,847 times
Oregon does have a Meth problem, but it is not full of sleezy people high on Meth - good grief. The problem is not just here, it is throughout the U.S. and I think if you looked around Florida, you'd find a lot of it too. I read that they even have a problem in North Korea. Oregon has done some things to try to reduce the problem. It is not possible to buy Sudafed and like cold remedies off the shelf any more, and that has cut out most of the local, small time, home cookers of Meth, but we still have a big import problem from Mexico through California. As with everywhere, if you stay out of certain neighborhoods, you probably won't have a problem. If it still worries you, consider a move to Montana. They went from #5 worst Meth state to #39

Old 06-23-2008, 12:09 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,633,644 times
I agree with Bendite. The problem is meth in general no matter what state you're in. Oregon isn't immune to the problem, but it's not like Oregon is completely overrun by crazed meth freaks everywhere you go. When there's a bust it draws media attention.

If you're thinking of retiring in Oregon, don't be put off by the media. Just be glad they're paying attention to it. Oregon is still very much of an excellent place to live, regardless of what the complainers say.

By the way, Microsoft is located in Washington. I doubt they'd put up with any meth addicts.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:10 PM

4 posts, read 32,727 times
Oregon like the rest of the country has a meth problem but it's not as out of control as you've heard. Companies are not populated by methheads.
Most of the people here do not use meth nor are we sleazy and trashy.
I moved here 4 years ago from California and can honestly say that the drug problems there are much worse.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:20 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,421,118 times
One will notice not a lot of anything walking down the streets. Yes we have homeless and yes we have drug addicts. Meth is an epidemic everywhere because it is cheap compared to other drugs.

Meth if one of many drugs that available to the public. I think people forget that maybe meth use is higher here, but crack use is higher elsewhere. It just depends on what the local drug addicts can get their hands on.

Microsoft is in WA, and I have a friend that used to work for them. I'm not sure who you are talking to, but they are a little off on their assessment of Oregon and Washington.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:33 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,561,057 times
I agree with all who commented earlier. If you don't think there is a meth problem where ever you are living right now you are just not paying attention.

There is no med sized business that can claim that no one in their employ uses meth, but you can bet your last dollar that if they are discovered they are either in treatment or terminated.

I have a relative who works at Microsoft.. he is so on the straight and narrow ... his only vice is that he brings pastries when he and his wife visit. No coffee, doesn't drink... not even sodas. Talk about goodie two-shoes!!!

Old 06-23-2008, 11:19 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,927,974 times
Maybe its me but I don't think we need to be on the defensive here. I've been to Ft. Myers, FL. I've 'heard' that parts of Miami... well.. but as was said already by much more diplomatic souls than I, drugs are everywhere. What drugs are in predominant use varies by geography but no state can claim to be so above it that any of its residents can cast doubts on their perception of the quality of residents elsewhere.

H

Old 06-23-2008, 11:23 PM

24 posts, read 114,090 times
If you are looking to retire in Oregon, I can't think of a better spot than Oakridge. Probably haven't heard of Oakridge, have you? That's because we are Oregon's best-kept secret.

We are on Highway 58 going east from Eugene toward the Cascades. Being in the foothills of the Cascades we are "above the fog line" but we are also "below the snow line". Very little crime here and a wonderful small-town atmosphere. We're a beautiful 45-minute drive from the Eugene-Springfield area, so we're close to a major population center, but not TOO close. There's a ski resort at the summit, about 20 minutes away, and we're surrounded by a National Forest and all kinds of outdoor adventure possibilities.

With 3 brand new sub-divisions going in, the city has opened up some incredible housing opportunities. The best of which is on a ledge above the city, right next to a gorgeous 9-hole golf course. We've built several custom-built homes up here for less than $250,000. Be happy to show you around sometime.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:37 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,623,835 times
Obviously a visit is in order. Come to Oregon for a week, travel around to the different cities and take a look for yourself. If you don't go around looking for meth I'd bet you won't see any sign of the problem you are describing.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
The problem is often noticed in rural areas and by petty crime and theft.

Someone (likely meth-heads) just hauled off all my 'yard-art' steel (antique farm and equip) that I had been collecting to make some art pieces. They left me a whole pile of tires they had cut off the rims. I hope they got plenty of $$, as I had hauled most of it from my grandpa's farm in NE... I have friends in EMS who frequently treat these folks, there are plenty around, but not necessarily obvious. And as mentioned, they are everywhere, tho efforts are underway to purge. They PNW has plenty, but the Montana Meth Project has been very successful, and ID is stepping up their prevention pace too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon