Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:45 AM

15 posts, read 35,800 times

Advertisements

Oh and pdxMike..thanks for telling me about The Coast...don't want to sound like an out-of-stater!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 10:57 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
You're most welcome. I hope the info provided by others here is helping you. Wanted to mention that it's close to a five hour drive from Ashland to Vancouver. McMinnville is a place you may want to explore, though.

If weather is your main deterrent, check out some of the rainfall maps online. Oregon is such an interesting state because you can live in a place that receives 50 inches of rain and just 20 miles up the road, you may get only 25 or 30. I wish you the best in your search.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:43 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy.dippy.vegan View Post
Any one have any opinions about McMinnville? My husband is also interested in Oregon City...any information on it would be helpful too.
McMinnville is a nice college town close to Oregon's wine country. Newberg is similar, a little smaller and closer to Portland. Oregon City is an older industrial town on the river. McMinnville and Oregon City are the seats of their respective counties.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:01 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,617,454 times
Oregon City is an interesting place and probably worth a look. It's kind of a small old blue collar town that's seen a lot of newer infill - condos/town homes. The downtown is a tad underwhelming, but there are lots of services nearby both in (Grocery outlet, fred meyer, safeway, haggen for grocers) and around town. Lots of rural housing options right around to the SE/E.

It's got good access to the south/east parts of the metro and the services they offer (West Linn, Clackamas, Milwaukie in particular), and you'd have a very good hospital 15-20 minutes away up 205, plus not much farther to PeaceHealth, KP, etc.

[edit - for getting to Vancouver it will be easier than places on the west side I suggested earlier - 205 has some congestion, but not as bad as the I-5 crossing, and from the westside you have work to do even to get to I-5]

McMinnville is a college town set off at the north end of wine country. So more charming, and more walkable to some services. But if you need serious medical care it's a haul to get into the metro from there [see the other current thread on Newberg commuting]. 99W can be a parking lot at points. You'd want to look closely at whether local care would be sufficient - primarily Willamette Valley Medical Center | I believe.

So the tradeoff is that McMinnville is going to be 'cuter' but more isolated. On the bright side, an easier hop to the coast, nice biking in wine country or tasting tours if either are your thing.

Last edited by bler144; 02-27-2014 at 12:10 PM..

Old 02-27-2014, 12:27 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,967 times
When you go to visit Oregon City, don't base your opinion on downtown which is down by the river.
Get up on top of the bluff and there is a whole other Oregon City that you can't see from down below...
OC has good hospitals, shopping etc....

Plus, utitlities and tax wise it's cheaper than Multnomah County.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:22 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,329,443 times
I said it before and I'll say it again. Dallas is a great choice. Only 20 minutes from everything you need. About 45 minutes to the Vet's Hospital. Good local shopping and a great garden area. Also acreage is available and good housing can be bought for $120,000 to $180,00 with land, or $170,000 to $245,000 new and smaller lots. We have three farmers markets in town and within 5 miles and a dozen roadside stands within 10 miles. We can use volunteers in several areas of expertise, and we are an hour from the ocean and an hour from Vancouver. Our library is connected to the colleges and state system in Salem so you can get any movie, or book right downtown. The Coast Range is minutes away and the Cascades are only 40 minutes. Polk County is conservative, but not "In your Face". I know because I expect to be your next Polk County Commissioner.

P.S. COSTCO is 23 minutes from Downtown Dallas. Also I garden and my luck with all but peas on the coast was a disaster.

This is our Dallas Garden 2013 after three weeks.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:46 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,629,029 times
Roseburg area is warm enough to have a nice garden...

I've been going to the VA Hospital in Roseburg for my appointments since 1995. The folks there treat us with respect & kindness, keeping us as healthy as possible...

Next door to hospital is Fred Myers, Walmart down the road a piece. Quite a few stores around town...

Old 02-27-2014, 04:01 PM

Roseburg is a great choice, but it is three hours from Vancouver.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:18 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,967 times
Dallas is around two hours from Vancouver.
That's at the current travel conditions from googlemaps ( 1 hour 50 min, 2-27-14 at 1510)

That's also probably assuming optimal travel conditions, and one little wreck or a bad storm and you might as well add an hour to travel times from each city, probably more from Roseburg since it's farther away...

But anyways, what real difference will one hour make??

Old 02-27-2014, 04:21 PM

Two trips last month. Just barely over an hour. No, I don't go during business hours and I didn't encounter any wrecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon