Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 12:40 PM

11 posts, read 42,396 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am about to be relocate to work in Boardman Or, I really dont know the are but I would like to live closer to Portland, can anyone tell me what are my best options, living in Kennewick Wa or living in The Dalles Or, I have a family and my younger kids are going to college and 12th grade, thanks for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 01:54 PM

forgot to tell you that I live at the high desert in California now.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:18 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,439 times
Kennewick is the other direction from Portland. The Dalles to Boardman is 1 1/2 hours one way. Tha Dalles to Portland is 1 1/2 hours one way. Boardman to Kennewick is 1 hour. Lots of windshield time. Many people live in Boardman and live in Hermiston, however that is not getting you closer to Portland. Hermiston has 2 college campuses. The High School is average.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:54 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
You are gonna find yourself in a tough spot. The kids if going to Community College will be fine in Boardman. If four year, they will be living away from home. You can not reasonably work in Boardman and spend much time in Portland. You may as well get that idea out of your head now.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:13 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Let's look at another angle... which state university system would be the best for your kids? I vote Washington's.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Let's look at another angle... which state university system would be the best for your kids? I vote Washington's.

Wow. Why? I am more of an Oregon fan myself.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:08 PM

I am an Oregon fan too, Duck born & breed. I want to ship those Huskies (U of WA for those not in the know) back to the Artic every football season BUT there are academic fields that the WA department of higher education does better.

For example, WSU's Architecture graduates are ready to work at a professional level, UO's need to learn that a building isn't held up by arty sky hooks.

UW software engineering program graduates probably have an easier time finding employment in Seattle metro than UO grads - although Microsoft does hire many of our graduates.

Because so many jobs are the result of having the right skills and networking it is easier to get that first job out of UW and to some extent WSU. Maybe things have changed since I graduated from UO but their student placement office was a joke, my nephew was a graduate of UO software program and he landed at Microsoft by classmate word of mouth - nada effort on the part of the school. My daughter attended SCU and they were advocates for their graduating students. Even Cal Maritime, my son's school, linked graduates to industry.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:34 PM

Having taken Architecture course work at UofO I disagree.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:21 PM

Agree or disagree, no skin off my nose.

Did you matriculate in Architecture? Did you complete the program and if not why not? What courses did you take, perhaps like me History of Architecture...

MAYBE one or two of the Professors of Architecture are licensed Architects. IMHO that is as if a Professors of Surgery at OHSU weren't licensed to practice medicine.

My husband is a UO Architecture graduate, licensed for almost 50 years, and has been project manager for landmark buildings and major projects. I know of what I speak.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:17 PM

thank you all guys for your replies even that at the end you deviate from the theme and went into particular pints of views on universities, anyway i appreciate your time and if you can add some more info that would be great help for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon