Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:48 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,809,017 times

Advertisements

sutherland is also a nice small community, and floating the Umqua river is always fun in the summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 11:07 AM

13 posts, read 77,677 times
I am coming from connecticut and yeah its cold out here.. Looks like no one is roseburg is responding to this thread and giving much inputs on questions I asked. How much are the average utility bills in oregon?

Old 02-04-2008, 01:55 AM

2 posts, read 9,839 times
hello! I grew up in Roseburg; maybe I could help? Generally, the Northern areas are considered more desirable, and are probably more expensive. In order of expense- Hucrest (with hucrest elementry), Garden Valley/Melrose (Melrose/Hucrest Elementry), West Harvard (around the Harvard Cinema, Fullerton 4 elementry), Winchester (winchester elementry). If I were to move back, I would look for realty in those areas. All have equally good schools, and are safe/ nice areas.

West Harvard area is a really good bet for a great neighborhood at a more reasonable price. My uncle moved there last year and bought a 3 bedroom home for $150K (kitchen needed updating, but otherwise a nice place). Winchester has had a lot of new homes being built there and they all look nice- worth a look. I would steer clear of downtown Roseburg (mainly SE Stephans and SE Pine St close to the mission- these areas are considered the slums- if there are any in Roseburg). I also wouldn't live in the Green/ Winston areas just south of Roseburg. Although they are more modestly priced; the elementry school (sunnyslope elementry) is the worst one around (falling apart, terrible state test scores, ect). My sister lives there and is trying to move before her kids are school age. If you want to live downtown; try looking for homes higher up on the hills- away from the core of downtown- the homes and neighborhoods tend to be nicer.
Are you looking for a rental house or apartment? I found that Todd apartments are great landlords and easy to work with. Steer clear of Rose Villa and Rose apartments, though.
You should do really great in Roseburg on 90K. Roseburg is a great place to grow up. Lots to do, Safe, Friendly, Good Schools, decent shopping, great High School Football. When you get settled, make sure to take your little girl to the duck pond next to Fred Meyer (off Garden Valley Blvd), to the Steward Park train, and Douglas Country Fair for the kiddie coaster, okay? Hope it all works out!

Old 02-05-2008, 08:43 AM

13 posts, read 77,677 times
Thanks for taking some time and putting this all together Sisterstef!!!. This information is very useful. I am very excited as I am visiting the area this weekend. I will be looking for some apartment rentals to begin with and start looking for the property once I move to roseburg.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:21 PM

12 posts, read 81,795 times
Unfotunatly, I can't really offer any kind of estimate on costs for Roseburg, however, I did grow up there (from year 1-18 ) and can maybe give you a little info.

I know that my dad made about 100k I think (could be off but I think it was around there) and my family had a 4bd/2.5ba house on 20 some acres. Now, granted, they moved into their house a while back so prices will be different, however, you should be able to do pretty well with 90k.

If you want to live in a smallish community but outside of town, I know that there were some nice developments going up off of Del Rio Road last time I was there. If you're willing to live a bit further out, Melrose has lots of trees and is quite pretty, particularly up in the hills there. Wilbur is a small community between Roseburg and Sutherlin and might be another option--although I would warn you that parts of it are a little run down (just as in kind of beat up houses) but it is improving. Had to throw that out there since that's where I'm from--I like it because it has lots of open area and most of the houses are on enough land that you can raise animals if you want. Horses, sheep, and cows make for a really relaxed feel. My mom calls ours pasture ornaments--they keep the grass down plus they look pretty. lol

Anyways, I love Roseburg and wish you lots of luck finding your dream home there.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 5,974 times
Default Considering a move to Roseburg

Hello, I've been reading your posts and Oregon sounds wonderful. I have a good friend who was raised in Roseburg and she has asked me to relocate from California.

Californians seem to have a bad rep but we too need to settle down, calm down and get out of the rat race. I'm 58 and struggled far too long to stay in California. I need a calmer life style, a job with a company that won't go out of business in 4 to 6 months. I don't drive any longer so I need to live in town where I can walk to work and the market. Can't say I need a lot, other than good friends, a friendly town and half way decent internet connection.

Is this something I can find in Roseburg and will I even be welcome there? I've lived in Monterey California for 20 years and though it's not an unfriendly town it's impossible to make friends and I have different neighbors almost monthly. Jobs last maybe a year, if you are lucky. I just want a better life without all the stress and hoping that a move to Roseburg will get me going in the right direction.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:22 PM

324 posts, read 1,707,323 times
I found one thing odd while visiting Roseburg, no one in the Safeway there had all their teeth. Do you think that they don't have flouride in the water there or more likely they have/had a pretty good meth problem in the area?

McMenamins is great little brewery with good food and excellent beer.

I hope you find what you are looking for there!

Old 03-07-2008, 12:19 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
anybody remember the pumkin bus?
How bout Buck Owens at the County Fair, Micky Gilly? The Charlie Daneils Band, Anybody grow up in the East wood area in the late 70s and graduate in the mid 80s?

Old 03-08-2008, 05:20 AM

5 posts, read 27,364 times
Hi, Sisterstef
I read what you said about growing up in Roseburg....would you be so kind as to answer a few questions? My family lived in Roseburg before I was born (in Burns) so I'm sure things have changed since then...over 47 years ago. I plan on visitng the area in late spring to check out rentals and nursing jobs. Then move soon (I hope) after.
You mentioned a great high school football team. That's great! I was worried about dragging my 9 y.o. away from the great football team we have here (small-town State champs). He is so looking forward to playing football next year in 4th grade. Do you know if the Elementary grades have football teams???? Is there good community support for school sports? Also, is the comm. college okay?

Old 03-08-2008, 09:39 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerian View Post
Hi, Sisterstef
I read what you said about growing up in Roseburg....would you be so kind as to answer a few questions? My family lived in Roseburg before I was born (in Burns) so I'm sure things have changed since then...over 47 years ago. I plan on visitng the area in late spring to check out rentals and nursing jobs. Then move soon (I hope) after.
You mentioned a great high school football team. That's great! I was worried about dragging my 9 y.o. away from the great football team we have here (small-town State champs). He is so looking forward to playing football next year in 4th grade. Do you know if the Elementary grades have football teams???? Is there good community support for school sports? Also, is the comm. college okay?
They did when I was in grade school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon