Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 10:56 AM

679 posts, read 877,819 times

Advertisements

Now that we've had a year of city life and condo living, the hub and I have been looking at alternatives in our rather financially limiting circumstances. We absolutely love Oregon and are so glad we moved here. I also love Portland, and had I even been remotely aware of its existence 40 years ago, I may have moved here instead of San Francisco. But, that is neither here nor there, as I am not 22 any longer; I'm a little old lady, well, not so little, and sometimes not a lady, but I AM old, and that means Over 55 manufactured home communities! Particularly the ones around Medford and Grants Pass.

Anyone familiar with them or actually live in one? Any information on any specific parks around there is welcome along with any other advice (the area, the homes, the communities) anyone feels like sharing. The few people I know in Portland thought it was a horrible idea, but I attribute that to the north/south bias that exists here. My friends in northern California think it's the ticket to paradise.

There are several communities between Medford and Ashland between I-5 and 99 and are next to the Bear Creek Greenway. I was wondering how bad the noise was from the freeway for example.

I'm just looking for my own four walls and a little patch of dirt where I can grow some flowers and vegetables and put up some bird feeders without being told I'm creating a nuisance. We are heading down in the next month or so to check things out.

Thanks, City-Data'ers! You got me here, now it's time to turn the page and start a new chapter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 11:08 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I seriously suggest a condo instead. The reason being is that you own the condo. In a mobile home park, you only own the trailer and you rent the ground underneath the manufactured home. Anytime you are renting, the landlord can evict you. You then own a trailer and have no place to put it.

Under Oregon law, it is legal to close down a mobile home park, remove all the trailers and turn the land into a housing development. It's a slow and expensive process for the landlord, but it can be done and at the end, there you stand with a trailer and no place to put it.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:36 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Most of the parks that I know people in are right on I-5 or right on Hwy 99. It is true that you can hear I5 when you are outside, particularly in the winter - but then I can hear it in the winter in my house, which is about a mile away from I-5. The quality of the manufactured homes varies, one of them is very "house-like" and inside the house you don't really hear much noise and a few of the others aren't that quiet. The quality of the parks vary as well, some are better than others.

One of my friends lives in a park off Hwy 99 just south of Phoenix and she has a small yard and the complex has a small pool. You can hear the Hwy 99 noise, but, outside peak travel times (mornings, evenings) the noise isn't bad. I don't think there are any spaces or houses available there.

You will have to drive around and see for yourself. I have seen a few that are very run-down looking but I don't know what they are actually like because I don't know any residents.

Cost-wise, it depends on what you are looking for an how long you expect to be there. It is quite true that a park can be closed and converted and that the monthly HOA/land rent fee can be steep even if the dwelling itself is cheaper. The disadvantage of a condo is that they tend to be more expensive, not necessarily better-built and the condo fees can be raised at any time - so it is all a trade-off.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:50 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
Here's a list of manufactured home parks in S. Oregon, some have web sites and other do not. Jackson County Manufactured Home Parks

Old 12-17-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Most of the parks that I know people in are right on I-5 or right on Hwy 99. It is true that you can hear I5 when you are outside, particularly in the winter - but then I can hear it in the winter in my house, which is about a mile away from I-5. The quality of the manufactured homes varies, one of them is very "house-like" and inside the house you don't really hear much noise and a few of the others aren't that quiet. The quality of the parks vary as well, some are better than others.

One of my friends lives in a park off Hwy 99 just south of Phoenix and she has a small yard and the complex has a small pool. You can hear the Hwy 99 noise, but, outside peak travel times (mornings, evenings) the noise isn't bad. I don't think there are any spaces or houses available there.

You will have to drive around and see for yourself. I have seen a few that are very run-down looking but I don't know what they are actually like because I don't know any residents.

Cost-wise, it depends on what you are looking for an how long you expect to be there. It is quite true that a park can be closed and converted and that the monthly HOA/land rent fee can be steep even if the dwelling itself is cheaper. The disadvantage of a condo is that they tend to be more expensive, not necessarily better-built and the condo fees can be raised at any time - so it is all a trade-off.
Thanks, PNW-type-gal, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I had a feeling some of the parks were too close to the freeway for me. We are planning a road trip to narrow down the geographical area a little more and hopefully find a few nice parks to focus on. Sort of like what we did when we decided to move to Portland and buy a condo.....

What a long, strange trip it's been and we're still tripping!

Old 12-17-2015, 09:48 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,955 times
Have a look at Rogue Lea Estates. I visited a friend there once and I liked that it was out on the edge of town and it had some ponds. It's also walking distance to one of the nicest parks around.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ro...ccccb78b?hl=en

Old 12-17-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Have a look at Rogue Lea Estates. I visited a friend there once and I liked that it was out on the edge of town and it had some ponds. It's also walking distance to one of the nicest parks around.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ro...ccccb78b?hl=en

Thanks, Sherwoody! I actually had a lovely chat with the woman who manages that park a few weeks ago when I called about a real estate listing there. She invited us to visit when we are down that way. it sounded like quite a nice place and looks so online too.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Here's a list of manufactured home parks in S. Oregon, some have web sites and other do not. Jackson County Manufactured Home Parks

Thank you, Terryj. Wow, the number of manufactured home parks in just Jackson and Josephine County is pretty astounding. There must be at least 50. Yay for us!

Old 12-20-2015, 06:30 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
On another note, since you are getting older, I'd strongly suggest the Medford area rather than Grants Pass. The medical care is much better there, and you also avoid the need to drive mountain passes. Good luck !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon