Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 11:26 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

I met some people from Seattle a few years ago. We later entered a discussion about the Pacific Northwest. Somehow, we got on the topic of Portland,OR. The husband mentioned that he worked in Portland not too long ago and work with some African-Americans. He told me that many African-American professionals don't stay in Portland for long. What he was told was that many African-Americans feel kind of isolated in Portland, meaning not being around more African-American professionals. This is what I was told. Maybe someone else might have something different to tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 05:10 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_neck View Post
Larry that is exactly my point, and our college experiences were too similar. In my late 80's university, I saw that I got along much better with people who were like me as opposed to the others who just looked like me. This has continued in my workplace, church, family... Because of this, it matters not to me if my I look like the people in my community and I am comfortable if they do, or not.

I think it is sad that people believe they can't be happy unless their city is racially or whatever diverse. It also angers me, that some assume because an area isn't "Diverse", the area will be xeno, homo, or whatever other type of phobic they can think of. This is the same argument I just had with an adoption social worker, who in class claimed in two different statements (paraphrasing), "All of Idaho, and all of the mid-west are do not accept people of color or people who are different." Wow! It actually angered me more that I, a person of color, was the only one in class to challenge her on that ridiculous statement. Her statements perpetuate stereotypes about Idahoans, mid-westerners, and well Caucasians in general and it is a sad day when I am the only one who would deny her ignorant statements. I believe we should all find where it will make us happy, no matter what it "looks like".

And side bar, you are really missing the boat on the milk and sugar in hot tea! Try can milk and stevia- as learned from my uk fiancee.
Similiar story here. In 1978 when I first moved to Portland my first two good friends were two African-American ladies with whom I worked. Both were from LA. I was from Chicago. Coming from large cities, being minorities, (I'm Jewish) and have similar economic background we found we had a lot in common besides the fact that we were ostracized for being transplants by our co-workers.

The others in my office, all native Portlanders, were very unkind to us because we were transplants and that included a third African-American lady in our office who was a native Portlander. She would have nothing to do with the transplanted African-Americans because they came from someplace else.

It was our position rather than color that bonded us. We were the three "outcasts" from elsewhere in a place where everyone else had their origin of birth in common.

In Chicago, I had worked at a large company. I found that people who had similar jobs, salary and social leanings were drawn together for those reasons more than the similarities of color.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:32 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
This social isolation is not limited to Portland. I knew a Black female executive who worked for a Fortune 500 company in central Washington. She transferred because EVERYONE knew her. She once got a flat tire on her way to work and it seemed to her the entire community came to her rescue. She said is wasn't that she wasn't treated well (even very well) but that she stood out like a sore thumb. To top it off every one knew her husband's golf handicap.

She wanted more anonymity.

Miss her a lot.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:44 AM

25 posts, read 86,632 times
The saddest thing is that if African Americans only move to racially diverse areas then many areas will never become racially diverse. I grew up on the coast of Oregon in the town I am now living in again *lol* and we were predominantly caucasian in our school. We did have one guy who was Half African American and half Caucasian - and two kids who were Siletz tribal and that's it. (small school) I was in college before I saw a single person in real life with the very dark African American skin (my suitemate) and I just thought she was beautiful. I admit shamefully that I just wanted to stare at her and touch her skin because it was striking. That being said there was not a single hint of anything negative in my opinion. I think that's the way a lot of Oregonians are (less so ignorant because I think more people travel now)

Ironically because of the lack of diversity here there is also a lack of negative feelings. I was shocked to go to Texas and find my (first husbands) parents were racist. It was something I had never dealt with and it disturbed me greatly.

I guess what I am saying is that sometimes diversity can also come with the propensity toward prejudices like in my ex-in law's case...

I do agree with something that a few posters have said - people here care more about who you are and what you like to do then caring about the color of your skin but I can also see where if you prefer to blend in - things might be a bit awkward at times...

To the lady moving to Bend - good luck with your interview :-) I love Bend and am hoping to get back there someday.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:56 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyChick View Post
The saddest thing is that if African Americans only move to racially diverse areas then many areas will never become racially diverse. I grew up on the coast of Oregon in the town I am now living in again *lol* and we were predominantly caucasian in our school. We did have one guy who was Half African American and half Caucasian - and two kids who were Siletz tribal and that's it. (small school) I was in college before I saw a single person in real life with the very dark African American skin (my suitemate) and I just thought she was beautiful. I admit shamefully that I just wanted to stare at her and touch her skin because it was striking. That being said there was not a single hint of anything negative in my opinion. I think that's the way a lot of Oregonians are (less so ignorant because I think more people travel now)

Ironically because of the lack of diversity here there is also a lack of negative feelings. I was shocked to go to Texas and find my (first husbands) parents were racist. It was something I had never dealt with and it disturbed me greatly.

I guess what I am saying is that sometimes diversity can also come with the propensity toward prejudices like in my ex-in law's case...

I do agree with something that a few posters have said - people here care more about who you are and what you like to do then caring about the color of your skin but I can also see where if you prefer to blend in - things might be a bit awkward at times...

To the lady moving to Bend - good luck with your interview :-) I love Bend and am hoping to get back there someday.
It can be ironic, and at the same time, there is another phenomenon I have noticed. There are cases where people move to an area to get away from minorities and therefore, if a person who is Black moves in, some people might get disturbed by it. There were some people from California who moved to Montana to get away from the minority population. Because of this, there were some people who were disturbed to find even a few African-Americans living in some places in Montana. Not all persons are like that in Montana. It has happened though, where a person moves to a places because there is no diversity, or very little of it, and then find out that there are persons of a different race or ethnicity in town and react with displeasure.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:27 AM

25 posts, read 86,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It can be ironic, and at the same time, there is another phenomenon I have noticed. There are cases where people move to an area to get away from minorities and therefore, if a person who is Black moves in, some people might get disturbed by it. There were some people from California who moved to Montana to get away from the minority population. Because of this, there were some people who were disturbed to find even a few African-Americans living in some places in Montana. Not all persons are like that in Montana. It has happened though, where a person moves to a places because there is no diversity, or very little of it, and then find out that there are persons of a different race or ethnicity in town and react with displeasure.
I see what you are saying - it's just a little surreal to me because I don't see a difference in someone just because of how they look - their attitude?? That's different *lol* but other then how someone dresses it's difficult to glean much about their attitude until they open their mouth.....

Old 06-18-2011, 10:45 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdn40 View Post
I have been offered a job in Burns; I noticed from this web site that there are no blacks! how much drama would I experience living there are where is the nearest diversified city?

If you accept the job, how soon would it be? I'd say, check Burns out first. I assume you've read up enough on it to know what the area is like. Eastern Oregon is so unlike "the Oregon" that people think of, but it has tremendous appeal of its own. It does get very HOT there but you've been living in San Antonio.

I cannot imagine any difficulties fitting in. Quite often it is in remote areas that experience the least heat where differences go. But because Burns is so remote and in "the middle of nowhere", you should see for yourself first.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:02 PM

318 posts, read 516,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post

If you accept the job, how soon would it be?...

.....Bluesmama, the OP's post was made well over 3 years ago. After posting that day & the next, no more posts from this person.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:48 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandHills View Post
.....Bluesmama, the OP's post was made well over 3 years ago. After posting that day & the next, no more posts from this person.

Not paying attention to dates of threads is a nasty oversight of mine. Can't help wondering what the OP ended up doing? Anyway, thanks.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:48 PM

318 posts, read 516,442 times
.....Have done it a few times myself over the course of a decade & a half of online message boards. :-) For what it's worth, my residence was in Burns from the end of last year
.....through most of this last winter. Between Burns & Hines there are perhaps 4,200 souls, good & decent people, & had struck up conversations with several "black" people
living
.....there, fine folks all, comfy & at ease. Though highly conservative, the communities are pretty much "Live & let live" there, so far as was being discerned at the time.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon