Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 10:21 AM

845 posts, read 2,742,891 times

Advertisements

I have a friend coming into town and we are heading out to the coast. We are going to Cannon Beach, but I wanted to know if is was worth it to also drive down to Tillamook to visit the cheese factory. Is the tour worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 11:14 AM

378 posts, read 1,569,917 times
My husband also likes the air museum in Tillamook.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:44 PM

716 posts, read 2,816,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgator View Post
I have a friend coming into town and we are heading out to the coast. We are going to Cannon Beach, but I wanted to know if is was worth it to also drive down to Tillamook to visit the cheese factory. Is the tour worth it?
IMHO no. It's just a crowded tourist trap. The only thing worthwhile is getting some cheese curds to snack on.

Instead of the cheese factory go to the air museum then take a scenic flight out over the ocean. Then drive the loop from Tillamook to Netarts, Oceanside and Cape Mears.

Go see the Cape Meares Lighthouse and Octopus tree. Then drive out to Bay Ocean spit and take a walk out to crab harbor then take a trail to the beach.

Come dinner time go to either Mexicana restaurant in downtown Tillamook or go to the Schooner at the Netarts Bay launch ramp. The Schooners brick oven pizza is to die for followed by great desserts.

On your way back to Cannon Beach point out the cheese factory but keep on going!!

I believe the Tillamook Bay railroad still has scenic train rides from Garibaldi to Wheeler which might be worth doing.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:45 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I agree that the air museum is pretty cool. I don't think the factory tour is anything that has to be done, but I would make a pit stop for their Udderly Chocolate ice cream...

Old 08-15-2008, 05:19 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,865 times
I just visited the Cheese factory 2 weeks ago. if you go during the weekend it is crowded. it's best to go during a weekday if you can. They don't charge for walking around and seeing how the cheese is made. It's enough to make you hungry by the time you walk downstairs to their store. You can buy cheese,ice cream,milk and food there.

When we went there were a lot of kids who seemed to enjoy it. I have been before but it always nice to see it once again.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:44 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
my kids love it. They always have a fun time.
Ive been through enough times it kinda bores me....but I will always go for the free samples and the fresh ice cream!! Yyuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmyyy!!

Old 08-17-2008, 09:28 PM

290 posts, read 1,180,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
IMHO no. It's just a crowded tourist trap. The only thing worthwhile is getting some cheese curds to snack on.

Instead of the cheese factory go to the air museum then take a scenic flight out over the ocean. Then drive the loop from Tillamook to Netarts, Oceanside and Cape Mears.

Go see the Cape Meares Lighthouse and Octopus tree. Then drive out to Bay Ocean spit and take a walk out to crab harbor then take a trail to the beach.

Come dinner time go to either Mexicana restaurant in downtown Tillamook or go to the Schooner at the Netarts Bay launch ramp. The Schooners brick oven pizza is to die for followed by great desserts.

On your way back to Cannon Beach point out the cheese factory but keep on going!!

I believe the Tillamook Bay railroad still has scenic train rides from Garibaldi to Wheeler which might be worth doing.
Thanks davefr for your advice. Earlier today, we visited Tillamook, went through the loop through Oceanside and Cape Meares and loved it. The Lighthouse and Octopus Tree were very cool. We missed the Air Museum though... until next visit....

Old 08-17-2008, 11:01 PM

73 posts, read 318,888 times
I just went to Tillamook today and I was disappointed at how short the self-guided tour was. We just saw some blocks of cheese get vacuum packed. What about the actual process of cheese making? Did I miss something? Take a wrong turn? It was really crowded, but the ice cream was good. Down the road is Blue Heron which has brie, a big gift shop, wine tasting, and a petting zoo (farm, actually). The brie was great, the gift shop was overpriced, the wine didn't impress me, and the animals were awesome.

On a side note--on the way home (on 22) we stumbled upon the Grande Ronde pow wow and, well, WOW, it was amazing. All the costumes, dancing, music....In New York, where I'm from, the pow wows are very commercialized, but this seemed like the real thing. Good stuff.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:45 AM

845 posts, read 2,742,891 times
Thanks for all the advice! I ended up not going to Cannon Beach and instead went to Tillamook, Oceanside, and Cape Meares. The cheese factory was interesting but the tour is very short. I dont think I would actually call it a tour. The ice cream was good but the food at the restaurant was so so. I wasnt prepared for the stench in Tillamook.

It was warm and sunny in Tillamook but when we went to the coast it was cold and very foggy. It was so foggy we could barely see the water. My friend was very disappointed. We missed out on all the scenery of the coast because the visibility was so low. Oh well. Maybe one day I will make it back there on a sunny day.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:07 PM

9 posts, read 88,023 times
it is going to quit raining soon . don't go to cape meares no shopping or smell of corndogs cooking. just bald eagles and 40 elk. miles of surf. nothing to do all by your self on miles of beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon