Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2008, 04:35 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to leave Michigan because the economy is so bad here. We're considering Oregon or Washington because we prefer the mild climates and want to be by the oceans and mountains. The Pacific Northwest seems so beautiful!

I have some very vague questions:

How's the economy? What kind of work is prevelant?
Suggested places to move? Why?
Suggested areas to avoid? Why?

Any and all input much appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 08:19 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I think those are a little too vague. What kind of work would you be looking for? What are you looking to pay for housing? What do you want in a place to live?

Old 10-15-2008, 10:14 AM

14 posts, read 91,207 times
We moved here from MI a little over a year ago. It has been a great move for our family all in all but it did take my husband quite a while to find a good job, even with a business degree. Oregon is not the land of plentiful jobs~things are tough across the country. The climate is outstanding and scenery is breathtaking. I agree, your questions are a little too vague. Things like jobs and housing vary greatly from area to area.

Our experience has been that in the E.Lansing market, we were looking at houses for a family of 5 in the $150-175,000range. Out here, that increases to $350-450,000 easily. We live in Tigard/Bull Mountain area which is about 15minutes away from downtown Portland, depending on traffic. It is about an hour plus to the ocean and about the same to MtHood. Honestly, we are not happy in this particular area and are contemplating a move to Sandy. But it depends on what you are looking for in your Oregon experience.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:36 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
I don't think it is stretching it too far to say that it wouldn't be prudent to move from MI to PDX because of the economy in MI. The MidWest has a much better COL than the West Coast. The only places better are in the South and South East and New Mexico. But that being said, IMO there is no point to moving your life from one place to another for just one reason, whatever that might be. We moved from NYC not because it was expensive. It is, but it is also dirty, noisy, crowded, roads are no longer wide enough for bicycles to ride safely alongside motor traffic (cars have gotten wider, roads havent) and social awareness of issues such as recycling and alternative energy is very low. PDX demonstrates a complete opposite experience and we have not been (so far) disappointed with our move. It is cheaper here but not that much cheaper as to make it a worthwhile reason to move all this way.

H

Old 10-16-2008, 01:29 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I think those are a little too vague. What kind of work would you be looking for? What are you looking to pay for housing? What do you want in a place to live?
These are vague...

My husband works in the security sector. He has extensive military/security background so he would look for any kind of job related in that field. I'm looking for work with animal care-kennels, animal shelters, Vet assistant. I do have background with the hotel and restaurant industry.

We will most likely rent. Nothing extravagant; clean and quiet in a safe neighborhood is all we ask. City life and entertainment is not important to us; we're solitary people who would like to be relatively close to the water and some parks and maybe some museums. We don't have children and don't plan on doing so.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:01 PM

29 posts, read 92,420 times
Well it all depends

I'm moving to Eugene at the end of the month, from Columbus Ohio. I've been there numerous times, as well as Portland, and have done a lot of research on jobs/housing/etc.

First, the weather is good, as long as you don't mind wet winters. To me though, a wet mild winter is better than a cold snowy one though... Do keep in mind though that if you have allergies, they're likely going to be much worse in the NW.

Jobs, I'd say, are not promising. Of course that's true in much of the country. I initially accepted a job in Eugene. It's a similar job to the one I have now, and one of the few in my area (web development). It paid 60% of what I make here in Columbus. Luckily, my company counteroffered and wanted me to work remotely so I didn't have to take the pay cut. But, the job market out there is not so hot. Now portland would be a LOT better. But before you consider moving, start looking at job postings and get an idea of demand and pay.

Cost of living wise, the NW is similar to the midwest. Except for housing. And that's a biggie... Based on the pay I could have received, I have no idea how people can afford to buy a house. Our $160,000 house in Ohio would easily be $300,000 in Eugene. Probably $400,000 in a nice part of portland. Rents are reasonable though, since the housing prices in the NW have really climbed over the past 3-4 years, most people renting out their homes probably got them at much cheaper prices. I'm renting a 3 bedroom in Eugene for $1100 a month and compared to what I saw, that's a steal. Cheaper than that and you are in the ghetto.

Craiglist is a great place to check up on rental prices and jobs, do some research in various areas and see what you think.

As for parts of Oregon or Washington... I'm not terribly familiar with WA other than seattle, which is big and expensive, more suitible for a hip urban type I think. Oregon big cities would be Portland, Eugene, Salem, Corvalis. Those would have the best job prospects. Portland is going to be the largest place with the most jobs, and a really great city. With it also comes traffic and big city life, so you have plenty to do but the drawbacks of a big city.

Eugene is great, but mostly a college town. There are not a lot of jobs and not a lot of industry there. However, it's a great size with a good community, and you can get around pretty well without a car. It's an hour from the ocean, an hour from mountains and 30 minutes from wine country.

Corvalis and Salem are smaller towns with some job market, not terribly familiar with them. There are a ton of small towns outside of Eugene as well, and if you don't mind a commute much cheaper to live there.

I'd say before making a decision, take a trip. Fly out to Seattle and rent a car. Check out seattle for a few days and drive down to portland for a few days. Then take I5 down to OR-20 and drive out to the coast to newport, take the 101 down to OR-126 and over to Eugene. Check out some of the small towns around there. If the weather is good and it's not winter, take OR-126 over to bend for some great mountain scenery. You'll get a good glimpse of oregon beauty here and get a feel for a bunch of the cities and towns, and you'll have a much better idea of life in the NW.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,941 times
Default have you thought about colorado?

I know you mentioned the ocean, but colorado is pretty amazing. my husband wants to move there from michigan, and i am looking at the snow piling up outside with no sun,and am beginning to think he is right. I have been out there a few times and the sunshine is what impresses me. the mountains are nice too.....

Old 01-07-2009, 02:20 PM

480 posts, read 2,465,471 times
[quote=annika08;5712938]These are vague...

My husband works in the security sector. He has extensive military/security background so he would look for any kind of job related in that field. I'm looking for work with animal care-kennels, animal shelters, Vet assistant. I do have background with the hotel and restaurant industry.

I'd suggest a look at Colorado Springs. There are a lot of federal government contractors in that area and they are always seeking people with clearances. Go to BAE Systems' website for an idea of what kind of jobs are there. The PNW is not a great place to look for security positions. Colo Springs area will give you mountains and great weather (no ocean ) and you should be able to find some work with animals (there is even a small zoo), and they have a strong tourist industry

Old 01-09-2009, 10:44 PM

758 posts, read 2,370,845 times
Also, around Seattle there is much more military than in Portland or Oregon - Fort Lewis in Tacoma, Bremerton Navy base, a few others I don't recall off hand. Seatlle is a bit more expensive than Portland, which is a bit more expensive than Eugene. Salaries are similarly stratified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon