Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 03:31 PM

854 posts, read 1,701,942 times

Advertisements

Is there a certain area that gets more sun? I'm looking for a small town that has reasonably priced housing, nearby lakes to fish, low crime, winter highs of about 45, not too hot in summer, the less snow the better, and the less cloudy/rainy days the better. Am I dreaming about finding this in Oregon? Where can I learn more about Oregon's climate? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 03:51 PM

480 posts, read 2,465,592 times
Oregon may not be your dream location. Weather-wise, for a simplistic concept, think about Oregon as being divided into three parts (north to south) The first section is from the coast range to the coast - wet, rainy, cloudy for a good part of the time. Second area, the valley between the coast range and the cascade range. Less rainy than the coast, but still days and days of clouds and precipitation during relatively mild winters (except for right now when the weather is unusually cold for this time of year). Third section, east of the cascades. This is high desert country, so lots of sun, but we get snow, it certainly gets below 45 degrees, and did I say, we get snow? There are areas, such as around Prineville that get less snow, but summers can get pretty warm. There are lots of smaller towns in Oregon, lots of lakes and rivers. Jobs are scarce - we have one of the worst unemployment rates in the country. Central or Eastern Oregon best meets your requirements as you've got them laid out.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:59 PM

Thanks bendite. I know it gets below 45 degrees in winter. I was asking about areas with 45 degrees "highs" in winter. So the eastern third of Oregon would have the most sunny days and less rain? Jobs don't matter, we are looking for retirement.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:13 AM

Yikes! I said north to south, but meant west to east! Central and Eastern Oregon do enjoy days in the forties during the winter, but we also have downright cold days in between. Lots of sun, though, and like today, while it is in the 20s, the sun is shining (at least for now, before the next storm comes in). I'd suggest that you look into the area around Prineville. Housing, particularly now, can be affordable. There is a beautiful reservoir close to town for fishing. Prineville Reservoir. Prineville is a small town, but has amenities. The airport at Redmond isn't far, and Bend is an easy drive too

Old 12-19-2008, 02:16 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
I agree with Bendite that Central Oregon is probably the closest to what you want. They get more sun than the valley, but they do get snow. There are a lot of small towns around Bend, such as Prineville, Redmond, La Pine, etc.

We also don't have a ton of lakes (when I think lots of lakes I think Minnesota) out here in Oregon. Lots of river fishing and if you want a serious challenge, fish the Metolius river...

Old 12-19-2008, 05:15 PM

I checked Redmond and Prineville. Too much snow and too cold. Where is Lapine? It's not listed in my atlas. Thanks.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:24 PM

if Bend and Prineville aren't good, then LaPine won't work at all. More snow and colder. It's south of Bend on Highway 97 (south of Sunriver)

Old 12-20-2008, 02:48 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
If that is too much snow out there it means heading into the valley, but then we get more rain and less sun...

I don't know what you consider affordable so I'm just going to through out some nice small towns in the mid-valley area...

Silverton pop around 9,000. Sublimity pop around 2,000. Scio pop around 1,000. Dallas pop around 15,000.

If you don't mind ocean fishing there are many great small towns on the coast, but not sure how affordable they are for you.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:13 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,139,756 times
The response I always want to make when I see a topic heading like this would go something like this: "Yes, the weather in all 2,383 square miles of the state of Oregon is absolutely identical. Cloudy and raining. At all times, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year."

Old 12-22-2008, 06:09 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,629,029 times
Howdy Jim Mac.............

Fer over 4 lustrums we hav lived in the beautiful forested mountains of sw Oregon. I haven't kept track of it but we get many more sunny days then cloudy ones most years & we are protected from most wind. We need the rain to keep the forests green, the ponds, creeks, rivers, lakes full & for Fire Safety, etc. I myself love the rain........................I think our normal rainfall is about 20" to 25" most years. I could be wrong. Mother Nature does things in her own way. At times too much or too little of the elements.

Best of Luck to you....................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon