Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 05:05 PM

341 posts, read 641,362 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We are planning to visit Oregon and camping in one of the many State Parks. But which one? We are looking somewhere in the middle between coast and Portland area.
Thanks in advence.

P.S.

Is end of the may or june to early, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 07:24 PM

914 posts, read 4,444,027 times
My family went camping every summer in various Oregon State Parks when I was growing up. I think Oregon has some great campgrounds!

May/June definitely isn't too early, we usually started in March, but you should know there is a distinct possibility of cooler weather or rain. On the other hand, there is always a possibility of cooler weather or rain in Oregon, but it is a bit more likely in May/June as opposed to July/August.

Finding something between Portland and the beach is a little problematic. Most of the really good parks near Porland are either on the beach or in the cascade mountains. The only thing I can think of is L.L. Stub Stewart State Park. It is about 30-40 miles west of Portland (straight freeway shot, once you get on 26) and about an hour from the beach (again 26). I have never been there, but my parents have, and they have really liked it. I would think, if you want to visit both the beach and Portland, this would be a good location. Your closest beach out 26 is Cannon Beach, which is beautiful and has a great little town. Also, just north of cannon beach is Ecola State Park which is my favorite beach ever. (There is a day use that is higher up with spectacular views, great for picnics, and, if you keep going into the park, a beach access. There is usually hardly anyone there, and if you walk to the southern end, there are some rocks that contain a few tidepools.)

If you want to go all the way out to the beach, I would recommend Cape Lookout or Fort Stevens, both probably about 2 hours from Portland. They both are great campgrounds and have a lot of available activities, for instance, Fort Stevens is great for bike riders.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:49 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,539,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
My family went camping every summer in various Oregon State Parks when I was growing up. I think Oregon has some great campgrounds!

May/June definitely isn't too early, we usually started in March, but you should know there is a distinct possibility of cooler weather or rain. On the other hand, there is always a possibility of cooler weather or rain in Oregon, but it is a bit more likely in May/June as opposed to July/August.

Finding something between Portland and the beach is a little problematic. Most of the really good parks near Porland are either on the beach or in the cascade mountains. The only thing I can think of is L.L. Stub Stewart State Park. It is about 30-40 miles west of Portland (straight freeway shot, once you get on 26) and about an hour from the beach (again 26). I have never been there, but my parents have, and they have really liked it. I would think, if you want to visit both the beach and Portland, this would be a good location. Your closest beach out 26 is Cannon Beach, which is beautiful and has a great little town. Also, just north of cannon beach is Ecola State Park which is my favorite beach ever. (There is a day use that is higher up with spectacular views, great for picnics, and, if you keep going into the park, a beach access. There is usually hardly anyone there, and if you walk to the southern end, there are some rocks that contain a few tidepools.)

If you want to go all the way out to the beach, I would recommend Cape Lookout or Fort Stevens, both probably about 2 hours from Portland. They both are great campgrounds and have a lot of available activities, for instance, Fort Stevens is great for bike riders.
I whole heartedly agree.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:43 AM

Thank you very much.
We are searching on North coast area. Are there any camps on the North coast with the teepees and chance for cooking?

Thanks.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:03 PM

205 posts, read 729,218 times
Try this link for Oregon State Parks to locate all of the parks and the facilities available at each: State of Oregon: Oregon Parks and Recreation Department: State Parks

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:33 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumiwa View Post
Thank you very much.
We are searching on North coast area. Are there any camps on the North coast with the teepees and chance for cooking?

Thanks.
Teepees? Do you mean yurts? Yurts are more common in the state parks on the southern half of the coast, but they do have them at Ft. Stevens. Some parks also have rustic cabins which are a similar experience. May/June is really still springtime in western Oregon, so it will be cool, especially on the coast. You might want to look at Silver Falls. It's one of my favorite state parks in Oregon (it has rustic cabins, too). I think that Champoeg and L.L. Stub Stewart have yurts also.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
yurts are warmer than teepees. (Which I have seen at private, but not state parks)
here is a nice park with yurts Beverly Beach, north of Newport
Oregon State Parks and Recreation: Rates
this one is CLOSE to the beach (but central coast) BEACHSIDE STATE RECREATION SITE (north of Yachats)
Oregon State Parks and Recreation: Rates

there is a nice private campground on the north end of Cannon Beach near entrance to Ecola SP
(At intersection near creek) It is a few blocks to the beach, but very nice area, and I think cabins too.

I use federal parks (about 1/2 the price of state parks, and sometimes right next door), OR parks are pretty nice, especially in eastern / central OR (big sites). I often do showers at public pool, while I exercise too!!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:18 PM

103 posts, read 523,834 times
I have stayed at the Cannon Beach Park. And yes it does have cabins, as well as trailer and tent camping. Cannon Beach is a nice little town.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:33 PM

We decided for Close Lookout Camp. We hope that we will have good camping .

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumiwa View Post
We decided for Cape Lookout Camp. We hope that we will have good camping .

Thanks to everyone for the help.
I corrected my mistake ):
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon