Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 03:55 PM

11 posts, read 39,296 times

Advertisements

I've wanted to move to the Pacific Coast for years; I grew up in Central NY and now live in Atlanta for graduate school. I've visited Southern California many times and have heard a good deal about Seattle; however, I never really have heard a whole lot about Oregon.

After inquiring about Washington's coast on their forum, a member said I'd be better off checking Oregon's coast. I came across this site and was absolutely blown away by the scenery: Oregon Coast Visitors Association. I've traveled to some wonderful places, but I had no idea how beautiful this part of America is.

So, my next obvious question is about moving to a coastal town. My favorite so far is Cannon Beach, though I understand it is quite expensive (especially in the summer). I'm still searching through all of the pictures and information on the aforementioned page.

I'm a young, single male with a graduate degree in teaching and an undergraduate degree in communications. I love the outdoors and associated activities (particularly cycling, kayaking, hiking, running, sailing, surfing, etc.).

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on any of the following topics to help me determine if a move might be feasible.

1.) How is the cost of living in general for coastal communities? I'm assuming it is not exorbitant like but probably still pricey. Are there certain coastal areas that are more affordable than others?

2.) How are rental properties? I'm just starting out and won't be in the market for a mortgage anytime in the near future.

3.) What are schools like along the coast? I'm certified to teach middle school. Are there districts that are better than others or some to strictly avoid? Are there private schools? Does anyone have information about teacher salaries? How is education in Oregon in general?

4.) I'm not convinced that I will stay in teaching; how is the job market overall in the coastal regions?

5.) Demographically, is there a coastal town or area that tends to cater to or suit young singles?

Last edited by RyanK4; 03-27-2009 at 04:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 05:40 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times
I can hardly think of a more unfavorable place to teach than the Oregon coast. Western Oregon is demographically stratified: people work in the valley and retire on the coast. As a consequence, virtually every coastal school district is dealing with declining enrollment and the associated cuts in staff. The average age in many coastal cities is around 70.
COL on the coast is higher than inland (particularly as regards real estate) and wages are significantly lower. As a result, the cost-of-living to salary quotient is very poor. If you're a retiree who's sold a home in California, that may not be a problem, but if you're just starting out, it makes it harder to save.
Oregon doesn't have any certification for just middle school. You would need to get an Oregon license for secondary certification (6-12) and most likely go to an Oregon university to meet the rather esoteric requirements of Oregon licensure.
There are plenty of valley cities and town that are within an hour's drive of the coast. You'd have a much better quality of life and all the time by the ocean that you want. It's beautiful when the sun's out, but the chill and overcast get old after a while, believe me.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:09 PM

378 posts, read 1,570,657 times
Please do not let Steve's negativity influence you. I'd be very depressed if I believed him, but since I live about 60 yards from an Oregon beach, I don't! You should look into what teaching jobs are available. There will always be schools and there will always be openings. That might be what you should start with as, with the present economy, other jobs might be harder to come by. I do think the cost of living is a bit higher than in the valley, but it is worth it. I live in Lincoln City, moving here from Salem. My husband and I LOVE it here! We waited 30 years to pursue "our dream" and live on the Oregon coast. The air is always fresh and clean, which is something I really notice the lack of when I drive back to the valley. We can have "short-sleeve walking on the beach" weather any time of the year. We do get wild storms and they are a blast too. I love storm watching. We are having storms this weekend and I've been enjoying watching wind tossed waves. As usual, though, the weather changes very fast on the coast, and I see brighter skies on the horizon. Anyway, I would encourage you to pursue your dreams.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:57 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbeachlover View Post
I'd be very depressed if I believed him, but since I live about 60 yards from an Oregon beach, I don't!
So...what does distance from the beach have to do with the credibility of a straight-up assessment of the employment scenario for educators on the coast?

Old 03-29-2009, 09:49 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Play nice, kids........everyone is entitled to express their opinions.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:27 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
I think teaching opportunities at the coast would be as good as anywhere else. Maybe better. The Oregon coast is windy, rainy, cold, foggy... and many people who move there, move away within a few years. This creates job openings. I had no trouble finding work on the coast.

To answer as best I can your specific questions:

1) Cost of living is overall the same as a large inland city. At the coast the gas is a bit more expensive, but you drive a lot less. Food a bit more expensive, cost of housing a bit less.

2) Rentals are relatively affordable.

3) Teacher salaries (I'm married to a teacher) in Oregon are pretty good. As to coastal private schools, few & far between,

4) The overall job market for a degreed person is poor. Not a lot of opportunity due to the size of the towns. However, there are decent state jobs (employment dept, DSHS...) that may not pay well, but are stable.

5) I don't think any coastal town "caters" to young singles. The Oregon coast is mostly for retirees and artsy wannabes.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
There are plenty of valley cities and town that are within an hour's drive of the coast. You'd have a much better quality of life and all the time by the ocean that you want. It's beautiful when the sun's out, but the chill and overcast get old after a while, believe me.
Come on Steve, you know I was referring to your drum beat theme of slamming Oregon coast weather.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I think teaching opportunities at the coast would be as good as anywhere else. Maybe better. The Oregon coast is windy, rainy, cold, foggy... and many people who move there, move away within a few years. This creates job openings. I had no trouble finding work on the coast.

To answer as best I can your specific questions:

1) Cost of living is overall the same as a large inland city. At the coast the gas is a bit more expensive, but you drive a lot less. Food a bit more expensive, cost of housing a bit less.

2) Rentals are relatively affordable.

3) Teacher salaries (I'm married to a teacher) in Oregon are pretty good. As to coastal private schools, few & far between,

4) The overall job market for a degreed person is poor. Not a lot of opportunity due to the size of the towns. However, there are decent state jobs (employment dept, DSHS...) that may not pay well, but are stable.

5) I don't think any coastal town "caters" to young singles. The Oregon coast is mostly for retirees and artsy wannabes.
We do live in a transient society, so frequently people from anywhere move to anywhere. As far as the weather being the reason people move away from the coast, at least with people I've talked with who are moving away from the coast, weather was never the reason. I also have several neighbors who have been at the coast for decades. I do disagree with Blazer on rent costs. I can compare Salem to Lincoln City, and Lincoln City is a bit higher than Salem for equivalent dwellings. So, I would advise anyone contemplating a move to the coast to thoroughly evaluate the housing. Of course, anyone can also find "a deal" anywhere too.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:32 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbeachlover View Post
We do live in a transient society, so frequently people from anywhere move to anywhere. As far as the weather being the reason people move away from the coast, at least with people I've talked with who are moving away from the coast, weather was never the reason. I also have several neighbors who have been at the coast for decades. I do disagree with Blazer on rent costs. I can compare Salem to Lincoln City, and Lincoln City is a bit higher than Salem for equivalent dwellings. So, I would advise anyone contemplating a move to the coast to thoroughly evaluate the housing. Of course, anyone can also find "a deal" anywhere too.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, the coast, the coast. How I miss living at the glorious Oregon coast.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:54 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times
today sure looks nice..again.....i see blue skies, no wind, no fog, no rain....hummmmm... but hey, thats just me looking out of my window and i just live here. For the last 6yrs.
I know here in Coos Bay, theres a lot of younger people. Ive worked in the boys and girls club, and theyve had to bring in more staff to keep up w/the large number of kids that are there. I have 3 kids of my own in the school system and can tell you, again, no shortage of children in the area! Sadly though, they have had to make budget cuts at the schools, so i dont know what hiring looks like. We havent lost any teachers, and I know of at least 2 who have been hired on in our district in the last 2 years, there may be more, those just directly affected me! lol, but i dont know with these budget cuts, if they will be doing more hiring. Or what the hiring wage is.
I am still pleased with how my kids are doing in the schools. We put a lot on education (my inlaws are ALL teachers! so theres some high standards for these Only Grandchildren!) and especially since my son is highly gifted. I love the extra programs here that the kids inland dont get (like with the marine biology unit, the coast guard etc. ) google coos bay school district and check it out.
Rentals vary, Ive seen a local duplex for rent thats a 3bdrm 1 bath w/garage and all yard work hired out and it was going for 900.00month. Then again, close to me, is a stickbuilt house, 3bdrm 2 bath w/garage that rented out at 650.00mnth. Id advise to check out the local papers theworldlink.com, southcoastshopper. to start with. They both have rentals and HFS in them to give you an idea.
I just got hired on to a company w/full benefits and I dont have anything real special to qualify me for it. Its not a dream job, but has its opportunities.
my exinlaws just dropped my daughter off after her spending the week up near Portland, and said our weather here was better, yet again, then it was up there. It was nice enough we planted more strawberry plants and another lilac. Kids played outside all day yesterday w/o jackets. and nobody got wet.
Id recommend a visit or two, your own opinion is the best judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon