Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 03:43 PM

37 posts, read 167,873 times

Advertisements

Most of ORegon is great with the exception of fall and winter, and the rest of ORegon becomes green and beautiful during fall and winter, whereas Bend stays dry, brown and barren, and no beauitful autumn leaves to color the city, like on the western side of the state.

Being single in this town changes your view. Single guys here are not looked well upon, as most are the rowdy wandering snowboarder types. If people don't see you with a woman and/or kids, they more or less want nothing to do with you. And, if you didn't grow up here or have financial prowess, nobody really wants to bring a stranger into their closed social circles. The yuppie elitist also have their small social circles and don't want some younger unmarried guy to waste their time. My car and home are not big enough to be considered a worthwhile friend to them.

The community events here are geared towards famlies and there really isn't much of them. I am never a fan of community events anyway. THey are usually great to go with your friends, but they are not easy to meet people if you are all alone and don't know anyone.

Bend is a good place for a monk to live, and in that respect I like it. Every woman in this town, who is not a drunk/bar wench, has a husband or long-term boyfriend. So, you don't have to worry about being tempted by women. At first I didn't like the idea, but as I see I don't have to worry about finding a woman, it has given me a sense of freedom. But, to you guys who are craving to find a date, who is of a good character, Bend is not for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 04:37 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,993,433 times
Wink With due apology

With all due respect to the good citizens of Bend, OR, I drove through there several years ago and, having never visited before, was looking forward to the experience. That anticipation lasted until the city limits, and then I couldn't get out of town fast enough. I later spent the night in Eugene, OR, and was ever so much more content. While this probably says more about me than Bend, it was still a felling. A visceral reaction.

There are probably many lovely aspects to Bend, and I wouldn't know, having not remained. But it just struck me as congested, full of buildings, cars and people without much substance. Take the last with a big grain of salt, as very much a subjective judgement. What I can relay with a fair amount of certainty is that Bend bears little resemblance to Portland, OR. If the regional center for mid-central Oregon, it is still small in comparison. The landscape is entirely different, comprised largely of pine and sagebrush. It is drier, with greater extremes in hot and cold. Its look and feel is far closer to towns of the interior West than those of the Pacific coast (as in west of the Cascade mountains). In many respects it is probably a 'sportsman's' paradise. My guess is that if one defines civilization as the eclectic and liberal that Portland will come far closer to matching it. Without exactly knowing, I've also heard that Bend has suffered a good deal of late in this real estate downturn.

Would I recommend it? Sure, if it suits you. As another version of Portland with more elbow room, not on your life.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:17 PM

17 posts, read 62,220 times
im w/ sunangel719- if you are from NYC and go to bend- you will be amazed at how NICE people are- trust me, i'm a native ny'er for 41 years and going to Bend soon- can't wait

Old 02-16-2010, 05:19 PM

17 posts, read 62,220 times
maybe other 2 guys are just sad and lonely

Old 01-14-2014, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,859 times
Well, here it is 2014. I was wondering if our little buddy made the move to Bend?

Old 01-15-2014, 12:46 PM

722 posts, read 1,355,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurler92004 View Post
Well, here it is 2014. I was wondering if our little buddy made the move to Bend?
See you are a new poster. It is unlikely he moved to Bend? if you click on a posters status you can see their public activity (if they haven't blocked it).

I tend to be curious the where people end up? most seem to get feed back and are not regular posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon