Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2006, 11:59 PM

17 posts, read 56,615 times

Advertisements

Possibly moving to Oregon (from "middle America" so, believe me, it all looks good from here - even the rain!)

Any opinions on the best areas to live for avid hikers?

Maybe the best "MOUNTAIN" town in Oregon or the best area as far as Wilderness or tree cover?

I've heard alot about Central Oregon being "recreational", but I was wondering if Grants Pass or Jacksonville might be more scenic (and affordable) as far as landscape. These towns seem more appealing as far as offering diversity, music, coffeehouses, and organic shopping. (Ashland is great, but too expensive)

Central Oregon appears a bit "elite-ist"?? Am I way off? Help out if ya can? And is Southern Oregon really that Republican? That seems hard to believe with so much rafting and organic-ing going on down there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2006, 04:48 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,979 times
The weather would be better for a longer amount of time in Grants Pass than in Central Oregon. I have been there but it's been a few years. I'll be able to tell you more in a few days as I'll be going over to Grants Pass on Wednesday. I always thought it was a combination of left and right wing type of people. When I was there a few years ago I didn't notice anthing too unusual. There were people of all ages in the park and by the river. When I went to a nice cafe people were dressed nicely. It just seemed like an ordinary Oregon town.
Music,Hiking ,and coffee houses oh boy! That sounds exciting.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:48 AM

3 posts, read 9,082 times
Despite having good hiking in the Broken Top and Three Sisters areas, I recommend staying away from Bend as a place to live, it's a republican hellhole invaded by golfers and the botox crowd. Unless you have a few million to spend, they don't want you there anyway. I recommend Eugene as a place to live - it's only marginally republican (despite the hype to the contrary) and yes, southern Oregon is way republican, IMO.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:57 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
No Eugene has to much crime I still vote people need to look at Washington, alot more recreational activites, more wilderness, bend is great but way overpriced.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:33 PM
jou

4 posts, read 11,103 times
Central Oregon has amazing scenery and hiking. It's got inland temperatures and high desert weather -- very cold,very hot/ and dry. As someone said, stay away from Bend -- but there's a lot more to that part of the state than Bend. It's a pretty Republican area as far as I can tell, and rural/small town. But for recreational purposes Central Oregon rivals the Willamette Valley. And the housing prices outside of Bend and Sisters are really reasonable. I love the John Day/ Prineville area, and you might be able to find old hippies who will guide you to interesting spots. Smith Rock, for climbing, is, I'm told,excellent. The Fossil Beds and surrounding country is beautiful and sometimes stark.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:23 AM

3 posts, read 16,957 times
All I can say is Eugene is exactly what you're looking for. It's a liberal city, much more so than the conservative Ashland/ Medford areas and much cheaper.

There's a ton of outdoor activities nearby (mountains to the east, ocean to the west). With the university in town, there's also a ton of cultural activities and events. It's known as a hippy town so if that's your thing, you'll be very happy.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:49 AM

17 posts, read 56,615 times
Thanks so much everyone! If I have it right thus far - BEND is the "Aspen" of Oregon / and ASHLAND is the "Boulder"?

Sound about right? I have heard Bend isn't too open-minded or "wholistic" for being such a recreational area and that while Ashland is still expensive - it's much more relaxed. But Medford makes me "un-easy" and I just don't know why.

Anyway ~ Looks like it's going to have be Ft Collins. KIDDING! Eugene sounds great you guys! THANK YOU for taking the time to reply!
Well, I wo

Old 08-11-2006, 12:13 AM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,979 times
I thought I'd get back to you since I've been to Grants Pass. I'm afraid that I couldn't tell much about the politics there. It seemed like a mixed bag of people. However the people are mostly nice and friendly.

I saw a couple of drive-through coffee places like Starbucks only some other brand. There's a lot of traffic, and lots of tourists this time of year. it's hard to believe it only has a population of 25,000. There's lots of businesses.

The town is surrounded by large hills and mountains. There'd be a a lot of opportunity for hiking or hill climbing. Oh and it was really warm and sunny. That's about all I know about Grants Pass.

I don't know if you could compare Ashland to Boulder since I haven't been to Boulder. I believe Ashland is much smaller and kind of unique.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:03 PM

4 posts, read 14,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevation
Any opinions on the best areas to live for avid hikers?

Maybe the best "MOUNTAIN" town in Oregon or the best area as far as Wilderness or tree cover?
To be honest, it doesn't matter much where you live in Oregon if you're after the outdoor lifestyle. Eastern Oregon is a little flat and dry if you're not by the mountains (the Wallawas are georgeous), Central Oregon is just about perfect for recreation, as far as weather and proximity to the mountains are concerned - as long as you enjoy winter sports as much as summer sports. The Valley is pretty good all-around if you don't mind rainy winters, and the coast is great to visit...a bit wet and cold for an avid hiker, though.

Personally, I'd recommend either the middle Valley (Eugene area) or Central Oregon (think Prineville, for a still-affordable place). You can go to any geography from both places in the summer, and also in the winter if you're okay driving over snowy mountains. And, both areas have great opportunities themselves for the outdoorsy person. Washington state, by the way, is also an outdoorsy state, so if you can't find the perfect fit in OR, check out WA. Between the two states you should find something to your liking.

Again, though, anywhere in Oregon will do, as you should be within good driving distance of whatever geography you'd like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon