Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:10 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Gated doesn't always mean anything. I know the gate codes to three communities near where I live, and I've sure anyone who ever did lawn service or delivered pizza to them does as well.

If there's no guard, gated is generally meaningless.

Additionally, in most gated communities, you can follow another car through the gate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 09:21 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
Additionally, in most gated communities, you can follow another car through the gate.
That's why the community I live in added arms in addition to the slower moving gates. Between that and the guards, it's not easy to get in if you don't belong there. And we have a very active community who isn't afraid to call the police if they see something unusual going on.

The main key is that we are almost all owner occupied with no short term rentals allowed, so we know who belongs there and who doesn't.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:06 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Gated doesn't always mean anything. I know the gate codes to three communities near where I live, and I've sure anyone who ever did lawn service or delivered pizza to them does as well.

If there's no guard, gated is generally meaningless.
I can't agree with you more!

Old 11-22-2016, 05:27 PM

26 posts, read 19,595 times
Default Gated/guarded community

This is an old thread, but, I'd like to see if it could be resurrected.

I am contemplating a move to the Orlando - or perhaps, the Lakeland area. I am a site supervisor for the security team, of a gated/guarded community here in Austin, TX. I am a career security professional with some of the best security training, and experience, in the U.S. Here, in Texas, I have an armed security license, as well as a CHL (concealed carry license).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a gated community that employs a security team? The more expensive the neighborhood, the better! Where I work now, the most expensive property is about $16 mill.

Any other suggestions for well-paying security employment in the Orlando/Lakeland area?

Thank you for the input!

Old 11-22-2016, 05:34 PM

Annerk - I just posted re: gated/guarded community. Do you mind if I ask what the community is? Respond via email if you wish - dls2014email at yahoo. I am a site supervisor, of a security team here in Texas, and am contemplating a move to the Orlando area. Thank you.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:56 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Gated is more of a hassle to me especially if there is a security guard. However, if it's a nice community in a bad area, then its worth it. Sometimes the crime comes from within the gates, this is more true when it comes to developments with mostly renters though.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:58 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
Gates just give you a false sense of security. Gated communities are best with a gate guard and roaming security. It will cost more but is worth it....

Old 11-23-2016, 06:12 PM

Default A sense of security...

Having worked as Site Supervisor, for a security department, in a gated community, I agree about the "false sense of security". There is balance between TOTAL security and complete convenience. Some residents are good with tighter security, other residents rebel against tighter security - millionaires can be a very demanding lot - so a GOOD gated community security department is ALWAYS trying to find the right balance.

Even within the security department, there will be GOOD security officers and those that just collect a paycheck. It is EASY to get around gates - even under the direct gaze of a GOOD security officer. The system - no matter HOW good it is - has built in flaws. It is a community, with many different people, and types, going in and out. If I was a multi-millionaire, I would NEVER live in a gated community! But, I would have a gate on my property AND a hand-picked security team, one of whom lives ON the property (in a separate residence)!

But, a gated community DOES cut down on crime! It prevents EASY crime. It should be a prerequisite that a GOOD security camera system covers all paved entrances and exits. That, and several GOOD, VISIBLE Security Officers are the number one deterrent! At "MY" community, when the contractors & vendors see ME... their first thought is "Oh, crap! It's David!" THAT means they have to enter the community using the proper protocol... they won't be able to take short-cuts!

If the security officer is not standing IN the way, EVERYONE takes short cuts!

A gated community IS safer, but how much safer depends upon how GOOD the security is!

Old 11-23-2016, 07:41 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
I lived in both. One in Avalon park and was gated, now in Oviedo and not gated. Oviedo is a much better area and without a gate here in Oviedo, still much better. No riff raff and transients in my area, where as in Avalon Pk it became a **** hole

Old 11-23-2016, 09:29 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Gated is more of a hassle to me especially if there is a security guard. However, if it's a nice community in a bad area, then its worth it. Sometimes the crime comes from within the gates, this is more true when it comes to developments with mostly renters though.
Guard gated, esp 24 hours adds real security and a sense of prestige as compared to a simple gate with a code that gets changed every so often but not before every pizza driver and lawn guy in town knows it.

All the high end communities in DP and Windermere are guard gated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando