Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:18 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,348,207 times

Advertisements

These are facts: (as of the 2000 census as an example)

Orlando is the County seat of Orange County
Land Area: 100.9 sq. miles
City-owned parks: 97
Number of radio stations: 5 AM; 7 FM
Number of television stations: 15

Average daily temperature — Jan: 60F; July: 83F
Average annual rainfall — 48.7 inches
Average annual snowfall — 0.0 inches
City of Orlando Population — 185,951 (as of the 2000 census)
Male — 90,080 (48.4%)
Female — 95,871 (51.6%)
White — 50.8%
Black — 26.9%
Asian — 0.7%
Other race — 5.4%
Two or more races — 3.5%
Hispanic/Latino — 17.5%
2000 percent population 18 and over - 77.9%
65 and over - 11.34%
Median age — 32.9 years
Median household income - $35,732

These are opinions:

it is disgustingly HOT
the majority of the people are just as nice as you are

Give us your opinions, that's great. Don't try to shove the place you feel best down our throats and don't pity the people who may want someplace different than you do, it's just insulting.

I would rather (insert several unpleasant scenarios here) than move to, say...New Jersey - but I'm not going to insist my opinion on where someone should live is the only right one.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:33 PM

142 posts, read 362,718 times
I do not pitty people that want to live in FL, I feel bad because I know the awful heat they are about to endure and what the people are like they are about to be surrounded by. Yes it's my opinion and MANY other people agree with me.
Anyways, this site is to come and get advice of good places to move, that's what I'm giving people, and I'm doing it with a good heart. And never did I say that my opinion is the right one, I said, Lake Mary is the only place I would live in FL. Again, what is the deal, why do people feel the need to bash other peoples posts? I don't get it. Can't we all just get along?

Old 08-24-2010, 12:45 PM

570 posts, read 1,153,408 times
Lake Mary is so nice, Im glad they keep the prices high so people cant get in that dont belong there.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:38 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,547 times
Dear Justin's Mama,

A) Who are you even talking to that you seem so bitter? What exact post are you arguing about? I really have no idea because you don't quote it.
B) Why are you even offering advice, commentary, or opinion about a city you don't live in?

Old 08-24-2010, 04:52 PM

570 posts, read 1,153,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Dear Justin's Mama,

A) Who are you even talking to that you seem so bitter? What exact post are you arguing about? I really have no idea because you don't quote it.
B) Why are you even offering advice, commentary, or opinion about a city you don't live in?
Exactly, my point. But of course my comment will get deleted as usual.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:32 PM

45 posts, read 112,682 times
Thumbs up Opportunity knocks...answer the door!!!!!!

sorry...but have to chime in. For starters...I love people like movingonup that say they have to get out of here...yet then say that they have been here for 30 years. Sheesh...how bad could it be if you stayed for 30 freakin' years!

I just moved to lake Mary from Armonk NY right next to Connecticut border. I love it. Don't have kids so don't have to worry about entertaining them in the hot summertime.

I got a great house in Heathrow. Was middle class in Westchester County NY and brought my $100+ salary down here with me. Work in Direct Marketing and was able to bring salary and benefits with me. The wife and I love Lake Mary. So much new food to try. So many new experiences. Who cares about the culture and being close to NYC. Been there done that for over 40 years. Time for a nice warm change.

Final word...go for it. You will be happy down here.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:35 PM

4 posts, read 6,788 times
Default Thanks all for the great opinions

I am thinking it will be fine down there. I will be working for a company that lets you work anywhere so if I dont like it I guess I could move on? But something tells me I will love Florida. I am going to take a trip down there next week to get a real real good look around

Old 08-24-2010, 08:46 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,149,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinonuptotheeastside View Post
I do not pitty people that want to live in FL, I feel bad because I know the awful heat they are about to endure and what the people are like they are about to be surrounded by. Yes it's my opinion and MANY other people agree with me.
Anyways, this site is to come and get advice of good places to move, that's what I'm giving people, and I'm doing it with a good heart. And never did I say that my opinion is the right one, I said, Lake Mary is the only place I would live in FL. Again, what is the deal, why do people feel the need to bash other peoples posts? I don't get it. Can't we all just get along?
I think to come into a forum with many people who live in Florida and make these kind of statements and then plead for people to be nice to you and "get along" is foolish. You just sound very ignorant in general.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:39 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyzor View Post
I currently work for a great company in CT making over a 100k a year and great benefits. However i have recently been offered 95k for a 100% remote position. I was thinking of Orlando. Do you think the cost of living difference in florida would make up for the decrease in salary I am making at my present position? I long for the sun! And I am still a believer in that the lower housing prices would be of a great advantage. The Cost of living calculators are pretty lame saying that for 95k in CT i would only need to make like 65k in orlando. Can that be accurate? Thanks in advance! you guys are great!
I was born in Connecticut and raised in Orlando. $95k will get you much further in Orlando then 100k will in CT, especially since you're in Stamford. Im from Waterbury. I live in Las Vegas now which has a similar cost of living to Orlando

If I were you, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Go for it man, Orlando IMO is a much better place to live than CT

Old 08-25-2010, 05:32 AM

142 posts, read 362,718 times
Wow...I guess we can't all get along.
But I'll say it a million times.
For anyone considering moving to FL from up north: Lake Mary is great but not very friendly, and FL is HOT!
Peace, love, and Luck to you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando