Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 09:16 PM

4 posts, read 25,017 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I might be moving to downtown Orlando very soon, I'm a single woman that's most concerned with safety, the place I'm looking at is near Amelia/Broadway Avenue, I just want to get some inputs from people that live near that area or maybe know a lot about the area.

Is it safe to walk around (walk to Lake Eola or maybe close shops) before sunset?

Anything I need to look out for? And if you think it's a bad choice of moving there, where is a good apartment complex/condo you would recommend? (I work around I-drive area.)

It's just been such a pain looking for a good/safe place to live, any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 10:54 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
That is a great location. Very nice historic neighborhood, very attractive and safe. I'm sure you will not be dissappointed living there. I live a little further down Amelia and run to Lake Eola often. It's a very pleasant run and I'm usually joined by other joggers. It's safe to walk to the Lake or shops in Thornton Park. People are generally nice and will stop to talk to you about the weather or the Magic. The area is somewhat expensive so it's a mix of more established professionals and college aged young people. The only thing is you are in the city so always be aware of your surroundings. Don't walk alone at night, although it's unlikely anything will happen if you do, it's just better to play it safe. The biggest issue is the homeless who congregate around the Lake and Central Ave. They do not bother you for the most part, but occasionally you will get asked for change.

Although not Manhattan by any stretch of the imagination this is a very lively area. There are usually always people out and about. It's the type of place where people take Halloween and Christmas decorating seriously. Most homes have either a college football or Magic flag hanging in their yards or homes. Alot of activity throughout the year from street festivals, concerts, charity runs, fireworks and the best part is you won't have to pay for parking or get jammed up in traffic after the events. I have lived in this area for the past 4 years and I LOVE this area.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:18 PM

4 posts, read 25,017 times
Thanks for the reply. You made me more confident about the choice I'll be making, I've been to Lake Eola couple times and liked the atmosphere and joggers around. I've been looking for a place in downtown area for a while and hopefully I'll decide on one soon.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:40 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,127 times
I live in a condo tower on Lake Eola and it's wonderful. There is nowhere I'd rather live than this area, and I see myself here for a long time. It's very pretty, feels safe, and you get more breeze than in the suburbs for some reason. At night people still walk around Lake Eola, though less populated than before sunset. I have never been harassed there, and they are installing more security cameras there as well to make people feel more safe.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:58 PM

5 posts, read 8,232 times
Default Moving from West New York, NJ to Orlando

I am 55 years old and during the last 7 years I have been trying to move to Orlando but haven't make the final decision, because I am afraid of ending using my savings and no finding a job. I have 2 part time jobs from 12 to 8pm in NJ, I walk to work under all weather including snow storms. The quality of life and stressful job make me wanting to move to a quiet nice area.
I am working as a Secretary and Receptionist for $10 per hour and have 11 years experience as a Newspaper Librarian, (no jobs at all in that field).
Is there any probability to get a job in Orlando if I move in 2011? I mean a job I could handle even in retail.
Is there a studio for rent for $400 or less in a safe area for a single woman?
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: