Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 06:35 PM

91 posts, read 496,124 times

Advertisements

I've lived here 38 years and I don't ever remember the job market being great here. If you want a job here you can find one. Like said earlier, if you don't have much of a education you're not going to make much. Where in the country can you get a job making more than$35-$45K a year with a High School diploma? It's got to where it isn't cheap to live anywhere anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 07:00 PM

611 posts, read 1,456,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
That's the impression I got as well...very discouraging, I hope things work out for you soon!

Personally I'm leaning toward moving to either Tampa or South Florida, but I can't seem to decide. I would rather go Tampa but I'm worried that the market is better in So. Fla so I should go there.
I left Orlando for Tampa and am doing much better! Job market here is way my promising.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtoFL View Post
Most of the people complaining about employment are people without an education. I've worked here several years for an aerospace company and have never had a problem. Sure the raises don't come as often, but that's because the cost of living in FL is so low. Many of my friends graduating from USF and UCF are also having alot of success finding jobs in the Orlando area. There are a ton of IT jobs. Bottom line is you're not going to get paid anything anywhere if you don't go to school.
easy to say for someone who probably had everything handed to him. Not everyone has had the same opportunities as you. Some people have learning disabilities, some have to take care of family members, dont assume that everyone is given an equal shot at education.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
I've also been working in the research park for about 3 years now.
Consider yourself lucky, since I have known many people to have problems finding good bachelor's degree jobs in this town at competitive salaries. You're right on the rent - I refuse to live in ghetto apartments at $900+ a month for a one bedroom again, so I rent a room from a former coworker. There are very few good apartment options in the area. The housing market has killed any concept of this area being a 'lower cost of living' than much of the country. Sure it doesn't cost as much as LA, NY, or DC, but the pay still is set to year 2000 levels when housing was 1/2 the cost it is now.
I totally agree with you. I had to leave Orlando for Tampa, I couldnt afford the skyrocketing rent.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:57 AM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtoFL View Post
Most of the people complaining about employment are people without an education. I've worked here several years for an aerospace company and have never had a problem. Sure the raises don't come as often, but that's because the cost of living in FL is so low. Many of my friends graduating from USF and UCF are also having alot of success finding jobs in the Orlando area. There are a ton of IT jobs. Bottom line is you're not going to get paid anything anywhere if you don't go to school.

I agree with this, especially more so in Orlando. that is why I went back to school. By the way, school can also be an excellent networking opportunity.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:11 PM
SRM

9 posts, read 29,866 times
I agree with those who said that the job market here is for crap.

My husband has a Computer Science degree from UCF and hasn't found decent employment in IT since he got laid off in 2002. He's now working for a large company in a non-professional job hoping to move into their IT department.

My BIL has an MBA and was a professor at UCF before they cut jobs. He has been out of work for over a year.

Sure, there are plenty of jobs here if you don't mind making $30K/year or if you want to work in the healthcare or service industry. Those of us with families who need $50K to support our families can't afford to live here.

In 2 months we're moving to RTP, NC. We can't wait!!

Old 04-14-2008, 09:28 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I agree. Orlando is bustling with jobs. The real issue is that there are so many people, businesses have the luxury of being choosy - even when they are only offering minimum wage jobs. If you have a desire to work, have a skill an employer needs and understand that your needs are secondary to what the company wants, then you'll be fine. But it's just getting so typical that people who have unreasonable expectations based on their own assessment of themselves will openly badmouth a city or state on their inability to see past their own noses.
Orlando is bustling if you're going into something revolving law, construction, or medical employment. I graduated from UCF with a degree in English and Journalism. Did an intern for World Publications for 2 years, but once I graduated they didn't have a staff position for me. However, they did offer me a account payable clerk position paying $9.00/hrly. Now I went back and forth about taking it, getting some job knowledge on the side, networking with the right people and hopefully moving up in the company but at the end of the day I couldn't live off 9/hrly.

So I went out shopping to other companies in the communications field where I was told over and over and over again"oh you got your degree? Great. You interned with WP? Great. Well we're looking for someone with 3-5 years experience. Thanks for coming though." Now maybe it's because I'm dumb or young but if I had 3-5 years experience, why would I be applying for an entry-level job?

After 2 months I expanded my search into other fields and they looked at my resume, noticed my degree and said "well why do you want to work here? This has nothing to do with English/Journalism?" One lady actually told me I did a great interview, but because of my degree they felt I wouldn't be happy there and wouldn't stay long and she didn't want to have to go through the whole hiring process again - which I do understand but it didn't really help me financially.

I ended up taking my degree off my resume and getting a job as an office assistant for a local company, then after 6 months there applied for a technical writing position and that's how I got my current job.

However, before that I had applied every where: I was overqualified for Wal-mart, under qualified for the Orlando Sentinel. I don't believe my expectations were unreasonable. All I expected was to have a job that allowed me to pay my rent (which was only $780 at the time), put gas in my car and maybe enough for a expensive dollar menu lunch once in awhile.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:22 AM

143 posts, read 651,944 times
I grew up here, served in the military for about 5 years, then came back to get Bachelor's from UCF, and graduated last May. I am now in Grad School, and working in Accounting. I have lived in Conway, Azalea Park, Metro West, and Downtown. So I know a thing or two about this town....

Yes, FMU is a waste and not acreditted. Your'e better off going to Valencia then rolling into UCF after 2 years. I've heard similar things about Full Sale.

I've rented a house before and now live in an apartment. I would say that the experience can vary from land-lord to land-lord when renting. Some people prefer a house because it's quieter and generally speaking, more spacious. If your land-lord comes in your house when you are not there, you may want to call the police, because that is illegal. As far as safety goes, I would say apartments seem to be quite attractive to criminals, although that depends on what part of town you are in. At the end of the day, it's a personal preference issue.

A land-lord can't force you out if you have a lease. If you are renting without a lease, you made a bad move.

Florida employers can fire you without notice or reason becuase it is a right-to-work state. So are 22 other states. If you ask me, there's nothing wrong with that. Businesses are in business to make money. If you fell you have been wrongfully terminated, find an attorney.

State-to-State extradition is mandated by Article 4, section 2, clause 2 of the U.S. Constitution. So, apparently you just made that part up...

I'm not sure if this is the worst place for kids, but yeah, definetly not the safest.

We have a problem with crime, I agree.

As for the job market, I agree that our median wage is low, due to the abundance of hospitality jobs. I have never had a problem finding a professional job. I did pretty well in school though, and I interveiw well. The job market is tough and you have to make your self marketable. I realize not everyone has access to education but to be honest, unless you have kids, I'm not sure what would stop you. If you can't get accepted to a state school. Valencia will take just about anyone. I didn't borrow a dime from my parents for school. And the kids were your decision. If you have other tough circumstances, I really don't see how its anyone else's fault; including employer's. Life's not fair, I get it.

Last edited by Keeper; 04-16-2008 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: removed deleted quote

Old 04-16-2008, 11:03 AM

640 posts, read 3,075,417 times
With regard to Full Sail, it's an accredited University. It's true, it's an expensive university but it's a dedicated media arts school which is great for a lot of people. Poke around the website and see exactly why people love to go there. Full Sail University: Film, Art, Design, Music & Media Production

Old 04-16-2008, 02:43 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
With regard to Full Sail, it's an accredited University. It's true, it's an expensive university but it's a dedicated media arts school which is great for a lot of people. Poke around the website and see exactly why people love to go there. Full Sail University: Film, Art, Design, Music & Media Production
FMU, now Everest is accredited as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando