Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:11 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,357 times

Advertisements

Annerk, I am curious, (so as to go along with my post) what field is your company in? It seems to be doing well during the "depression" lol... no name or anything...just what type of busines....if I may ask...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 06:55 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmc1949 View Post
I moved to Orlando in 1992 and it felt like home right away. I saw my first long horn steer in Narccoossee. I'd be driving along in the city and turn a corner and there'd be a cattle ranch. Orlando had the best of the city and the best of the country all in one area. I loved it.
I lived in Orlando for sixteen years. During the last ten years of that time the housing prices went up 25 - 35% every year. Great for investors, but not for anyone else. The job market didn't go up. What you could earn didn't go up. When the price of gasoline went up, if you were in the service industry, which is much of Orlando's job market, your earnings went down because the money that had gone into restaurants, taxis, etc. went into the tank.
This makes no sense.

If you bought a house in 1995 for $100K, it's now worth $200K and you're paying taxes and mortgage on a $100K house. I don't consider the average homebuyer to be an "investor." If they cashed-out on the equity and now can't pay the bills, that's no ones fault but their own. But if they still have that same 30 year fixed mortgage note that they took in 1996, they are paying about $1000 a month PITI for that home which is almost half paid for.. I'm just not seeing the problem.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
Annerk, I am curious, (so as to go along with my post) what field is your company in? It seems to be doing well during the "depression" lol... no name or anything...just what type of busines....if I may ask...
Because we are one of about 10 companies in the country that do what we do, I'm not going to state the industry (it would be obvious), but I will say that most of our business is based on local/state government contracts, and the stimulous money has given us a lot of work and allowed us to create jobs.

It's an industry that is needed and used regardless of the economy, but these competitive bid contracts have really caused business to boom.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:39 AM

57 posts, read 124,701 times
A headhunter perhaps? My other choice would of been secret agent spy. Sounds cool though.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:43 AM

29 posts, read 144,704 times
LOL Marbinx makes it sound so bad over there, you know it's bad everywhere I live in New Jersey right now and 4 of my friends just got laid off in the past two weeks and I have a few friends and family members that been looking for work for month's now, so Florida is not the only place doing bad wih jobs.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:53 AM

Hmmmm lets guess annerk job, I say Stripper a lot of old ladies will relive there stress there, no matter how the economy is.. ha ha ha Just kidding Annerk.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarC View Post
Hmmmm lets guess annerk job, I say Stripper a lot of old ladies will relive there stress there, no matter how the economy is.. ha ha ha Just kidding Annerk.
There are a lot more then 10 strip joints in the area, let alone the country.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:41 PM

ha ha true. You know what I'm happy you have a good Job you sound like a real cool guy, you always try to help people out in the forums with good advice, keep on the good work.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:24 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,357 times
LOL...not the direction I was trying to go in...I will just give another example of a good job market in this area...my hubby is in flight simulation...I realize that is a more specialize field, but that is a great field to be in for this area, IF you have the right skill set. There are a lot of engineers around this area and all the ones I have met are either employed or have their own businesses as subcontractors and are doing well.

Try dental assisting (what I do) or nursing, two more fields here with a high demand. The job listings are many for these fields.

My point being, depending on the demand for services, there are jobs! The demand to build housing had gone way down, and as a result, jobs associated with that have also gone down, and there is an overabundance of folks with those skills fighting to get the very few jobs available, so like Annerks says, you have to be the best of the best with your interview skills, presentablity, and personable skills in order to land that job!

Old 08-10-2009, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,436 times
ok thank you for all the weather comments but thats not what i was really wondering about, what is the job market like?what is the general environment like?the crime rate?the weather information was abit helpful in a sense but I think Florida is hot in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando