Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 03:43 PM

38 posts, read 142,050 times

Advertisements

So, it looks like our family will be moving to Orlando within a few months. We have 3 daughters, and I was wondering..................

1. We have lived in South Florida; is Orlando comparable (size, crazy drivers, rudeness)?

2. South Florida was not (IMO) very conducive to family activities, primarily because of the glamor factor. Is Orlando more like the "deep south" (laid back, courteous)?

3. I've noticed a huge disparity in prices of condos when contrasting Orlando rents to those of South Florida; are lower rents indicative of "bad" areas, or are decent places affordable?

4. Is gridlock the norm? South Florida was awful for driving, especially on weekends.

5. Without disrespect to anyone: is Orlando predominantly hispanic like South Florida?

6. The area we are in now has plenty of inexpensive family activities; is Orlando similar? If so, what types of events?

*We are in the nervous, uncertain stages of this process & any info. would be great--thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 06:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,583 times
Wink Im with you on that...

I am in the exact same situation as yourself. In a few months I will be transplanting my family to Orlando/ Kissimmee area. My aunt lives there and when I visited, I fell in love with the area. She stays over by Buena Ventura Lakes... I can tell you from visiting, traffic is bad, specially if you are going into Orlando. The Spanish population is very high very much like in S. Florida. Where Cubans are dominant in Miami, Puerto Ricans are dominant in Orlando. This is something most would consider a negative about Kissimmee/ Orlando but being Puerto Rican myself, I am actually looking forward to it. My husband is white and my children are more white than Puerto Rican. I say this because they speak no Spanish. I want them to be surrounded by the language, it is important for them to grow up bilingual. Reading all theses posts make me nervous, and it makes me question my decision. But I know I want my kids to learn about their culture, their traditions. Short of moving them to Puerto Rico, I feel this is the next best thing.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:39 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,696,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GringaBoricua View Post
I am in the exact same situation as yourself. In a few months I will be transplanting my family to Orlando/ Kissimmee area. My aunt lives there and when I visited, I fell in love with the area. She stays over by Buena Ventura Lakes... I can tell you from visiting, traffic is bad, specially if you are going into Orlando. The Spanish population is very high very much like in S. Florida. Where Cubans are dominant in Miami, Puerto Ricans are dominant in Orlando. This is something most would consider a negative about Kissimmee/ Orlando but being Puerto Rican myself, I am actually looking forward to it. My husband is white and my children are more white than Puerto Rican. I say this because they speak no Spanish. I want them to be surrounded by the language, it is important for them to grow up bilingual. Reading all theses posts make me nervous, and it makes me question my decision. But I know I want my kids to learn about their culture, their traditions. Short of moving them to Puerto Rico, I feel this is the next best thing.
There is a very large Puerto Rican community in Orlando but they aren't dominant. They are mostly concentrated to the east and southern portions of the metro.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:46 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
I lived in S FL (Kendall, Miramar, Coral Springs) before returning to Orlando and IMO you have nothing to worry about. Any of the negatives you'll find here (traffic, crime, congestion) you've already experienced at the same or likley higher level in S FL. So it's not as if you will move here and find traffic worse than what you already know. On the flip side, Orlando is MUCH more family oriented than S FL. I know exactly what you mean by the "glamor" and flash factor in S FL. That exist here but at a much smaller scale and in certain pockets of the city. S FL was great as a young single guy, the nightlife, etc, but I would much rather raise a family here. Most areas here are more family oriented, alot of local parks, baseball fields, etc. And don't worry there are a TON of family activities here that do not involved the theme parks and will not cost you an arm and a leg. There some sort of fair, arts festival, parade, free concert, etc going on here literally every weekend. Orlando also has a heavy Hispanic presence but not as predominant as S FL. Orlando is closer to Broward or Palm Beach county in that aspect than Dade. Overall I really think coming from SFL to Central Florida should be a fairly easy transition for you.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:37 PM

812 posts, read 1,676,010 times
I grew up in Miami, it will always be my home... but I doubt I'll EVER live there again.

The only thing I can even begin to think of as "bad" living in Orlando compared to S. Fl. is that you aren't as close to the water, and it (the water) is noticeably cooler up here. Other than that, wind your clock back 25ish years in Miami, and that's Orlando now.

Yeap, lots of hispanics, but you can walk into most (unless Latin themed) stores here and expect to hear English as the language of business. Blacks are a lot more spread out, though there are some 'not so nice' areas, it's nowhere near Overtown or Liberty city. There is a LOT of cultural diversity here, and if you have any prejudices, I suggest staying in S. Florida. Orlando has had to learn to deal with people from all over the world for the last 40 years and it seems most of 'us' have learned this lesson well.

Driving SUCKS...EVERYWHERE in the country. Compared to Miami, it's not AS MUCH of a contrast, but you still have fast drivers weaving every which way but loose and slow idiots on their cell phones clogging the left hand lanes. The good thing about Orlando compared to Miami is that the #'s aren't as bad and the major thoroughfares are keeping up fairly well.

Remember the best Cuban sandwiches will only be about 4 hours away when you move...

Old 04-25-2011, 02:38 PM

Thanks for all the input. We will be visiting my prospective employer next week, and scouting out nearby rentals; I'm definitely noticing how much cheaper housing appears to be. But this begs one of my other questions: are there still relatively safe areas within the $950-1000 per month range?...................

Old 04-25-2011, 03:01 PM

812 posts, read 1,676,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldgage View Post
Thanks for all the input. We will be visiting my prospective employer next week, and scouting out nearby rentals; I'm definitely noticing how much cheaper housing appears to be. But this begs one of my other questions: are there still relatively safe areas within the $950-1000 per month range?...................
Depending on how much you need, certainly. There are a lot of other great threads on safe locations.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:14 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,949,187 times
Quote:
So, it looks like our family will be moving to Orlando within a few months. We have 3 daughters, and I was wondering..................

1. We have lived in South Florida; is Orlando comparable (size, crazy drivers, rudeness)?

2. South Florida was not (IMO) very conducive to family activities, primarily because of the glamor factor. Is Orlando more like the "deep south" (laid back, courteous)?

3. I've noticed a huge disparity in prices of condos when contrasting Orlando rents to those of South Florida; are lower rents indicative of "bad" areas, or are decent places affordable?

4. Is gridlock the norm? South Florida was awful for driving, especially on weekends.

5. Without disrespect to anyone: is Orlando predominantly hispanic like South Florida?

6. The area we are in now has plenty of inexpensive family activities; is Orlando similar? If so, what types of events?

*We are in the nervous, uncertain stages of this process & any info. would be great--thanks!
1. Although Orlando is smaller, it in no way shape or form feels small. Actually, one could argue that since Orlando has a better, more walkable downtown, it actually feels more like a traditional city than Miami which feels a little more like a lot of empty condos lined up along the water ie: Brickell Wall. The only place that I think that's worth living in S. Florida is Miami Beach but it is not family friendly at all.

2. Orlando is not the deep south by any stretch but people here can be very nice or very rude. We don't however have a reputation for being mean and our service industry personality shines through in most we do.

3. Your suspicion is correct, Orlando is way more affordable than S. Florida.

4. Traffic moves unless I-4 is closed due to an accident, in that case the entire metro can become gridlocked for hours.

5. Puerto Rican

6. Theme parks, boating, the beach, nature trails, canoe/kayaking, horseback riding, skating, arts, theater, professional sports, and just about anything you can do in any other major city.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:56 PM

Thanks for all your input. After our business visit Friday, we are going to do some exploring. I have been encouraged to check out the Winter Garden area. Any thoughts?

Old 05-03-2011, 03:17 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,512,388 times
Quote:
Thanks for all your input. After our business visit Friday, we are going to do some exploring. I have been encouraged to check out the Winter Garden area. Any thoughts?
You should look at Windermere and Dr. Phillips- those are nearby Winter Garden but nicer, and with better schools. It also depends on your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando