Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 02:40 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
In case you haven't noticed, Central FL is probably the blandest, non-progressive, and stagnant areas in the entire southeast. Most other "well populated" areas have more choices in every category from grocery stores, to media, and fast food options. Not to mention Publix, IMO has a very limited selection of grocery products. I really don't think all these people promoting Publix have grocery shopped anywhere West of the Mississippi, really. Where's Tom Thumb, Kroger, a dedicated WalMart solely for food, Albertsons, and the Winn Dixie's here are just nasty, that's why they always fail.

To further my point, look at any decent radio station here, first it was 105.9 with a great selection of alternative rock, they got rid of that. Then 103.1 smooth jazz turns into a spanish station (hence the "spanish takeover"), then 96.5 turns into all talk all the time. Orlando is basically polarizing itself into radio for old folks and spanish, not a pretty picture and definitely not a place I want to live. Well you say 101.1 rock, okay lets here the same Godsmack song every 20 minutes.

Fast food, okay the Sonic near me lasted about 4 months, the A&W joint lasted about the same, Whataburger lasted a few years, then left, no Jack in the Boxes either.

So, to compliment the boring, bland, cookie cutter "shacks" riddled with Chines drywall, as well as a place with no history, you have boring, bland grocery stores, radio stations, TV, and fast food options.

And to top it off Orlando gets another lame soccer club that nobody watches which will probably last maybe a good 2 years, instead of a decent baseball team which almost every "American" kid can enjoy.

Well........ aren't we the sweetest poster in the world? LOL....blandest and nonproductive...... good grief...... and Where do you think 50%( ? or maybe even more) of the people who live in Central Florida came from? So I guess that must mean some bland non progressive people must have moved here, too. Probably from the NORTH. If you really find nothing here to your liking, the door swings the other way and ya'll can move North again where everything is so perfect that you CHOSE to leave and come to Florida. Give me a break......sure there are things I can't get here that were COMMON in Chicago, but guess what there are lots of wonderful things here that you can't get up North or anywhere else in the world.

Oh, but wait .....sorry, that is exactly the reaction you want when you come in to stir the pot....... so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 03:07 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
It's pretty sad that I have to go to TARGET to buy a pot pie, since Publix doesn't even carry such a basic food product. Their selection is pretty horrible.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:33 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
For the same reason that Wegman's is generally the only game in town in central and wesern NY. They offer such a superior product that the slightly higher price doesn't bother people.
Orlando and Florida in general are quite a bit more populated than Central or Western NY so that's kind of a feeble example.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:44 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I would say most supermarkets do not compare favorably to Publix that I have seen. In Atlanta, Kroger was the establishment in every city in the metro. Publix was able to go in there and take away many customers, forcing them to renovate many of their stores to compete. Harris Teeter tried and failed, having to pull out of Atlanta. The ones that have existed in Florida like Albertsons, Winn-Dixie, Piggy Wiggly, and Food Lion all pale in comparison to Publix. Like annerk said, there is a reason they all folded.
Which would seemingly suggest that Floridians are vanguards of superior quality. Sorry, but I'm not buying that. Perhaps it's because the average Florida consumer is more simple/basic and not driven by higher quality or better variety. Whole Foods which manages to hit home runs everywhere else it opens stores struggles here and Trader Joe's has basically said no thanks to expansion inquiries here. Harris Teeter excels in the Carolinas and Virginia so perhaps Atlanta shares a common thread with much of Florida as well. That could explain Publix's success there.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:38 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
It's pretty sad that I have to go to TARGET to buy a pot pie, since Publix doesn't even carry such a basic food product. Their selection is pretty horrible.
What Publix doesn't sell flour, butter, veggies, etc? I mean good grief anyone who makes it a point to bash a store for not carrying a lesser quality frozen product over fresh ingredients that can easily be combined to make one, should be ashamed of themselves.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:50 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
I am in Naples with a population of 21,000. Besides Publix, there is Sweetbay, Walmart, and even Winn Dixie in Golden Gate areas. Of ocourse in the upcale areas, there are Whole Foods and Fresh Market also. How many more do you need?

Old 09-06-2011, 05:02 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I am surprised there is no WalMart supermarket only in Orlando, There are a couple of those in Tampa.

Food Lion is more expensive than Publix and the stores are old, Kroger's is OK but their prices are on par with Publix although they do have some good specials.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:06 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
I think what the poster is talking about are the tier of stores. In my hometown of Columbia, SC you have the following:

Bi-Lo
Piggly Wiggly
Kroger
Publix
Food Lion
Used to have: Winn-Dixie and Harris Teeter

So, at one time, you're talking about 7 regular-tier grocery stores in a metro that is smaller than Orlando.

In Orlando, that's Publix and Winn-Dixie.

If Florida gets another chain, it will NOT be one who currently operates in the southeast. Those stores are losing to Publix's expansion into southern states. Publix did overtake Kroger as the top grocery store in the Altanta market last year.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:07 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I am surprised there is no WalMart supermarket only in Orlando, There are a couple of those in Tampa.
There are Walmart Markets in Orlando. There are some on the east side, and then there is one near Hiawassee/Colonial. They are in talks of converting the Orange/Michigan Albertson's to a Walmart Market.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:52 PM

109 posts, read 207,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Orlando and Florida in general are quite a bit more populated than Central or Western NY so that's kind of a feeble example.
There is a reason for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando