Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 01:33 AM

88 posts, read 846,957 times

Advertisements

I do live in Spain at the moment and would take issue with that.

They do have the highest consumption of cocaine in Europe but to be honest, it's not a major problem. And illegal immigrants do arrive, unfortunately for them, a large number fail to do so, dying in the Med en route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich renter View Post
...and if u had lived in spain instead of visiting u would realize they have huge drug problems and illegal immigration from africa. the grass is not always greener.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:02 AM

430 posts, read 1,394,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNM View Post
I was born in the US and so was my son, who is a teenager. It IS the hispanic trash that gives us (the white Hispanic educated person)
Uh, let's leave out the "white" part of that! -Sounds racist to me. not all "white" Hispanics are well educated, and there are many who are not "white are well educated as well. Also someone who is poor and not well educated in a formal sense can still be socialy respectable and law abiding. Poverty is not a valid excuse for acting like trash. Plenty of trashy people also are NOT poor.

I think it's all about manners and respectability, there is social trash as well as respectable people in every group. I am white (non Hispanic) and I frequently see what I would call "white trash", -they are a small but significant minority of the white population in most of the country, -some places more than others to be sure. One part of respectability is also about legal status, -and there are quite a few Haitian and other illegal immigrants who are not Hispanic.

Most foreign born Hispanics in Orlando and in Florida as a whole are NOT illegal, -unlike in some parts of the country. The single largest group in Orlando is Puerto Rican, -who are not even actual immigrants, even those from the island (a lot were born in Florida or are from New York). But yes there are also a lot of illegal immigrants too. I think that most rapidly growing areas with a lot of poverty and low wage jobs by their very nature tend to be socialy unstable and have a lot of problems as a result, -and yes more illegal immigrants is one of them. This certainly goes for Orlando. -Emil.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:16 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,215,703 times
"WE LIVE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!"

come to orlando, and you might question yourself on that one

Old 08-31-2007, 08:31 AM

631 posts, read 2,452,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0807 View Post
hey i read these things and i just laugh! its sad that people point at 1 race and say its all their fault. im puerto rican and im not rude, i don't cut in line & im not a a drug dealer! lol...it all depends on how your family raises you, not your race! i was raised in a family that believes in moving on up in life, not staying in the ghetto like the majority of puerto ricans(sad to say, but true). anyways, if people believe orlando is bad for having so many foreigners, then they got some issues. WE LIVE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!! HELLO??? wasn't the point of this "new world" for immigration??
I don't want to sound mean or condescending but this is exactly the mentality that is ruining everything. If you really believe what you just wrote then that's the problem. Yes, America was built on immigration. However immigration doesn't mean coming to this country and turning it into YOUR OLD COUNTRY. People came here for a better life and were so happy that they were given THAT CHANCE that they respected the country and made themselves FIT IN. They learned the language, they assimilated, yet they kept their own culture. Something NO Hispanic has ever been able to answer is why aren't we or haven't we had any issues with any other culture coming to America? Seriously. There are massive amounts of different cultures that have come to America since its conception and not one single other group have caused theses issues. FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS. Think about that.

Orlando has many, many ethnic cultures (the massive Asian population have been around since the 80s and do you hear of issues with them????). I am so tired of the excuses and the reverse psychology to blame ME for disliking the massive disrespect of the majority of Hispanic people in Orlando. Something needs to change. People need to get mad and take back this country. Remember how you said PR was a ghetto? Exactly what do you think Orlando is turning into with everyone from PR moving here bringing the same baggage they had back at home?

Ridiculous.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:41 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,215,703 times
blueoktober, once again my man, hit the nail on the head. bravo.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:47 AM

Default Italians?

Whilst I am a foreigner whose knowledge of the USA has, of course, been coloured by years of films (which I've enjoyed immensely, I hasten to add), I seem to recall the Mafia was a significant issue for more than a few years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
...Something NO Hispanic has ever been able to answer is why aren't we or haven't we had any issues with any other culture coming to America? Seriously. There are massive amounts of different cultures that have come to America since its conception and not one single other group have caused theses issues. FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS. Think about that....

Old 08-31-2007, 09:02 AM

As far as I can tell, the Mafia isn't a nationality or a country. The Mafia didn't force a country to change it's language to fit them nor did companies advertise to them. (Which in itself is funny that Hispanic people cannot see that the only reason a company would advertise to them is to gain their money - it has nothing to do with them being liked).

The Mafia was also comprised of many ethnic backgrounds.

Last edited by blueoktober; 08-31-2007 at 09:39 AM..

Old 08-31-2007, 09:06 AM

Default <sigh>

Whilst this is from Wikipedia, it none the less appears to show differently unless you know otherwise? [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia.[/URL]

"An offshoot emerged on the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Coast_of_the_United_States"]East Coast[/URL] of the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States"]United States[/URL] and in [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia"]Australia[/URL][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia#_note-0"][1][/URL] during the late 19th century following waves of Sicilian and Southern Italian [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emigration"]emigration[/URL] (see also [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_diaspora"]Italian diaspora[/URL]). In North America, the Mafia often refers to Italian organized crime in general, rather than just traditional Sicilian organized crime. According to historian [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Paolo_Pezzino&action=edit"]Paolo Pezzino[/URL]: "The Mafia is a kind of organized crime being active not only in several illegal fields, but also tending to exercise sovereignty functions – normally belonging to public authorities – over a specific territory..."[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia#_note-definition"][2][/URL]"

Quote:
As far as I can tell, the Mafia isn't a nationality or a country. It was also comprised of many ethnic backgrounds.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:31 AM

239 posts, read 799,718 times
Quote:
I don't want to sound mean or condescending but this is exactly the mentality that is ruining everything. If you really believe what you just wrote then that's the problem. Yes, America was built on immigration. However immigration doesn't mean coming to this country and turning it into YOUR OLD COUNTRY. People came here for a better life and were so happy that they were given THAT CHANCE that they respected the country and made themselves FIT IN. They learned the language, they assimilated, yet they kept their own culture. Something NO Hispanic has ever been able to answer is why aren't we or haven't we had any issues with any other culture coming to America? Seriously. There are massive amounts of different cultures that have come to America since its conception and not one single other group have caused theses issues. FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS. Think about that.

Orlando has many, many ethnic cultures (the massive Asian population have been around since the 80s and do you hear of issues with them????). I am so tired of the excuses and the reverse psychology to blame ME for disliking the massive disrespect of the majority of Hispanic people in Orlando. Something needs to change. People need to get mad and take back this country. Remember how you said PR was a ghetto? Exactly what do you think Orlando is turning into with everyone from PR moving here bringing the same baggage they had back at home?

Ridiculous.
Well put. It's so true!

Old 08-31-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebee1957 View Post
Whilst this is from Wikipedia, it none the less appears to show differently unless you know otherwise? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia.

"An offshoot emerged on the East Coast of the United States and in Australia[1] during the late 19th century following waves of Sicilian and Southern Italian emigration (see also Italian diaspora). In North America, the Mafia often refers to Italian organized crime in general, rather than just traditional Sicilian organized crime. According to historian Paolo Pezzino: "The Mafia is a kind of organized crime being active not only in several illegal fields, but also tending to exercise sovereignty functions – normally belonging to public authorities – over a specific territory..."[2]"
Again, "Mafia" is not a country or a culture. Comparing an organized crime group to an entire ethnic group is actually ludicrous, but just to play along...
That would be the same as me saying that The Crips or the Bloods are a country. And God help me at least the Mafia were ACTUALLY WORKING! Heh..

I will repeat my question. Please tell me another country or ethnic backgroun whose people came to the US that have caused the same issues. (You actually prove my point by not answering the question yet trying to divert the question into some meaningless semantics.)

No other immigrant population has come to the US demanding we speak their language, that we advertise to them only in their native language, that we break the law just for them...etc. Had I asked "what other ethnic group has caused murder and crime to spread in the US" you could use your hypothetical question as a tool to lure one into a debate. However, I didn't and my question is still yet to be answered.

It is true that many different Foreign Immigrants came to the us and created parts of cities that catered to their culture, and that's awesome. But none did it illegally.

I mean no offense to you, but you're in over your head here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando