Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 02:20 PM

26 posts, read 142,251 times

Advertisements

Well after several visits to the Orlando area we have firmly decided that downtown living is not for us. There's just too much going on (people, traffic, noise, etc).

We're now looking at the Lofts in Altamonte Springs. Cranes Roost is a blast, and being within walking distance to all of the shopping and entertainment options is very attractive. Also, World of Beer is now my favorite place

Unfortunately, there are no three bedroom units available at the Lofts. We have been on a waiting list for a month now, but nothing came up. Due to bizarre work situations, we will both be working from home and think we need at least a 3 bedroom.

Our move has been solidified to early October. Our lease in Ann Arbor ends on the 15th, so we need to be moved in by then.

We've been looking at the new construction Colonial Grand apartments in Lake Mary as a backup plan. If we don't hear from the Lofts by the end of this week we'll probably go with Colonial Grand.

Before we pull the trigger on I just want to ask if there is anything we could be overlooking. We definitely want to be close to shopping/entertainment (walking distance preferred), and don't want anything on ground level to help keep the bugs out.

Thanks again to everyone that has helped us this far. Our hot MI summer this year has been acclimating us, so we're all ready to go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 05:16 PM

2,130 posts, read 4,526,560 times
Since you no longer need to be near Lake Mary since you'll be working from home, you might want to put Dr. Phillips on your list as a place to consider. It's an upscale area very close to a lot of shopping and dining, as well as the entertainment of the theme parks. It's home to what locals call "Restaurant Row", on Sand Lake Rd... there's a World of Beer location there, too I'm not sure if you'd find anything within walking distance to the major shopping centers, but it wouldn't hurt to look! I absolutely love this area and would recommend it to anyone.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:45 PM

57 posts, read 158,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeli2657 View Post
Well after several visits to the Orlando area we have firmly decided that downtown living is not for us. There's just too much going on (people, traffic, noise, etc).

We're now looking at the Lofts in Altamonte Springs. Cranes Roost is a blast, and being within walking distance to all of the shopping and entertainment options is very attractive. Also, World of Beer is now my favorite place

Unfortunately, there are no three bedroom units available at the Lofts. We have been on a waiting list for a month now, but nothing came up. Due to bizarre work situations, we will both be working from home and think we need at least a 3 bedroom.

Our move has been solidified to early October. Our lease in Ann Arbor ends on the 15th, so we need to be moved in by then.

We've been looking at the new construction Colonial Grand apartments in Lake Mary as a backup plan. If we don't hear from the Lofts by the end of this week we'll probably go with Colonial Grand.

Before we pull the trigger on I just want to ask if there is anything we could be overlooking. We definitely want to be close to shopping/entertainment (walking distance preferred), and don't want anything on ground level to help keep the bugs out.

Thanks again to everyone that has helped us this far. Our hot MI summer this year has been acclimating us, so we're all ready to go!
Curious, since I don't know your exact situation with your job, but is it possible for you guys to get a two bedroom? Maybe one room to sleep together with, and the other room you two can share as an office for your jobs? If you can't go for a three bedroom at the Lofts at Uptown, maybe you could share a two bedroom and if that isn't enough room yet, maybe use the living room as a third room? Since you guys find Downtown too hectic, I do think Altamonte Springs is probably the best solution and being right by the park and a lively mall is fantastic (although, be careful of the 436, dangerous road that is).

There aren't very many areas of Orlando that are completely walkable, unfortunately, and the Lofts at Uptown are probably one of the best areas you could choose for what you want in Orlando. While Lake Mary is wonderful, its mall is much quieter, in fact, the area in general is quieter. It's probably on the other tier while Downtown was too hectic, Lake Mary may be too suburban and calm for you guys.

While I do regard Doctor Phillips, as brinkofsunshine mentioned, as a great area for entertainment and restaurants, you'd definitely still would need a car to drive to those places, even if they are about 5-10 minutes in every direction around you. The problem with Doctor Phillips is that it is part of the tourist corridor, so, theoretically, it is probably crazier there than Downtown overall with both the locals AND tourists visiting, which equates to more noise. Trust me when I say that you don't want to be caught in traffic on Sandlake road there, ha ha. Altamonte Springs is definitely more local. That and it may be hard to find managed apartments directly around Doctor Phillips, possibly Windermere may have one? While they are both great areas, I don't think they are quite what you two want.

Another area you could consider that is similar in walkability to Downtown and Altamone Springs, but probably still a small stretch would be the Lofts at Winter Park or Park Avenue apartments. It's a little bit north of Downtown, but below Maitland and Altamonte Springs, and it's the most charming place. It has a row of restaurants on Park Avenue, and about a 15-20 minute walk away there is a mall and movie theater, which is where the Lofts are. It garners a more mature audience though, with little boutiques and more expensive shopping. There is a variety of different restaurants on that side and Park Avenue though. You are also surrounded by a plethora of museums, which might be pleasant. It's quieter than Downtown and Altamonte Springs's core, even, but still more local, and might be an alternative if you guys can't settle at the Lofts at Uptown.

Hope this helps and good luck to you guys!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:07 AM

Chulchinmae, thank you very much for such a detailed response. We have thought over the two bedroom for a long time, and ultimately we just can't give up a guest bedroom. The majority of our family currently lives in Michigan, and very soon my mother is retiring to Alaska. With the weather, and being so close to Disney, we are expecting many visitors during the winter months.

Basically when I told my current employer that I am moving to Florida, they came back and said they don't want to loose me. They asked if I would consider working remotely. It was completely unexpected, and of course I said yes . The arrangement is temporary with guaranteed employment through the end of the year on a "let's see how it goes" basis. I am the first remote employee for the company, and neither of us knows what to expect. Long term though, I don't think it will last. I work for a very local company, and fundamentally it just doesn't make sense for them to employe me indefinitely from out-of-state. At the least, I don't have to worry about a job change on top of a cross-country move.

The Lofts at Uptown really are the best for what we want. We basically knew this is where we wanted to live when we saw it. We're really bummed nothing is available. The worst part is they have a 3 bed available right now, but we can't move until October and know it will be gone by then .

Anyway we've already walked through Park Ave and had dinner at Bosphorous; what a wonderful area! It really reminds me of Ann Arbor in a lot of ways (without the snow!). We looked at apartments in Winter Park but just weren't that impressed with a lot of them. They seemed very dated to us.

We're still tossing on the 2 bedroom idea. Maybe we could have a combo office/guest room. I don't know yet.

Last edited by jeli2657; 08-07-2012 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: proofing

Old 08-07-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Since you no longer need to be near Lake Mary since you'll be working from home, you might want to put Dr. Phillips on your list as a place to consider. It's an upscale area very close to a lot of shopping and dining, as well as the entertainment of the theme parks. It's home to what locals call "Restaurant Row", on Sand Lake Rd... there's a World of Beer location there, too I'm not sure if you'd find anything within walking distance to the major shopping centers, but it wouldn't hurt to look! I absolutely love this area and would recommend it to anyone.
Thanks for the suggestion, but we really want to stay north of Orlando and avoid the tourist traffic. Plus, I may end up working in Lake Mary in the future after my current employment arrangement ends.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:17 AM

492 posts, read 1,027,709 times
So, pay for an extra month of rent at the place you want, or deal with a 2 bedroom for a year. You might even be able to make an arrangement with management that you can upgrade to a 3 bedroom as soon as one becomes available. If you truly won't budge at all on the 3 bed, even temporarily, your issue is sorted... you have to live elsewhere. If that is the case, I'd stop thinking and talking about the Lofts right now, because doing so just makes every other location feel like a second choice.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:37 AM

57 posts, read 158,970 times
Quote:
Chulchinmae, thank you very much for such a detailed response. We have thought over the two bedroom for a long time, and ultimately we just can't give up a guest bedroom. The majority of our family currently lives in Michigan, and very soon my mother is retiring to Alaska. With the weather, and being so close to Disney, we are expecting many visitors during the winter months.

Basically when I told my current employer that I am moving to Florida, they came back and said they don't want to loose me. They asked if I would consider working remotely. It was completely unexpected, and of course I said yes . The arrangement is temporary with guaranteed employment through the end of the year on a "let's see how it goes" basis. I am the first remote employee for the company, and neither of us knows what to expect. Long term though, I don't think it will last. I work for a very local company, and fundamentally it just doesn't make sense for them to employe me indefinitely from out-of-state. At the least, I don't have to worry about a job change on top of a cross-country move.

The Lofts at Uptown really are the best for what we want. We basically knew this is where we wanted to live when we saw it. We're really bummed nothing is available. The worst part is they have a 3 bed available right now, but we can't move until October and know it will be gone by then .

Anyway we've already walked through Park Ave and had dinner at Bosphorous; what a wonderful area! It really reminds me of Ann Arbor in a lot of ways (without the snow!). We looked at apartments in Winter Park but just weren't that impressed with a lot of them. They seemed very dated to us.

We're still tossing on the 2 bedroom idea. Maybe we could have a combo office/guest room. I don't know yet.
Hmm, well, you guys do seem to have your heart set on the Lofts, and I will try my best to help in some way to get you there! Considering how you are moving from out of state and have the funds to accommodate for the living here, I do think you should go with the choice you most want. It would give you a peace of mind to start off life here in an area you really are excited to live in rather, you know?

Have you considered maybe getting a short term lease at the Lofts? I know they do offer 7 months minimum, which wouldn't be too bad if you, say, couldn't keep up this local job online and you realized the commute was too far and you needed to be at the Colonial Grand in Lake Mary. If you decide to stay at the Lofts, you could always ask for an upgrade after your lease or, as FloridaNative35 said, you can talk to management to hold something for you. I'm guessing the request hold feature on their site is their waiting list as well? It does give you that option here: Availability - The Lofts at Uptown Altamonte

I know it may be hard to accommodate family and friends with a two bedroom, since you said they would come during the winter months, but that might be the best solution for now if you don't want to give up the Lofts. You just might have to if you can't arrange it any further than that. I think, given the lifestyle choice and area you want to be in, you should go for the Lofts and just tell your family ahead of time. It IS a selfish decision in that sense, but you'll be the ones living here, not them, as much as you love them. I think an office and bedroom suite wouldn't be too horrible for the time being. You could have a desk and computer(s) to one side and a bed to the other (maybe even portable bed?).

Besides, ask yourselves how long they would stay. If they are staying for a week or two, the two bedroom should suffice. However, if they are staying for a few months or more, the three bedroom may be the way to go. I'm just saying, you don't want to get into a three bedroom if your visitors aren't going to be staying for a major chunk of the year and is an inconvenience to your lifestyle to you on top of it. However, that is definitely something the both of you will have to put a priority on. It seems before the job situation changed, you two were all right with a two bedroom, which implies to me in a way that the visitors won't be staying for half the year or anything. Just trying to look on the bright side, ha ha. Don't give up hope!

That being said, even if this arrangement isn't possible, be rest assured that Lake Mary is a wonderful, beautiful area and even if it's not quite what you want, the Colonial Grand should suffice and your living experience should be pleasant. Besides, if you get into the Colonial Grand and decide to move to the Lofts then when the opportunity is right, there is no stopping you there either! If your situation calls that you need a three bedroom immediately when you arrive, the apartments in Lake Mary should be fine (maybe inquire if they have a short term lease possibility as well?). May be a bit more driving, but the area itself is nice.

Sorry to hear that Winter Park's apartments weren't quite up to par for you guys! I have only been the to the area a handful of times, and I have both seen and heard they are rather old and that the walls are thin in those apartments. At the same time though, I also read that many of the residents seem to still be happy living there, some of them being more communal, I suppose. That and I also think for them they are attracted to the lifestyle too. You could consider in renting a nicer condo there, but since you want managed apartments, that idea might be off the list. Well, it was worth a shot!

Here's still wishing good luck to you guys!

Old 08-07-2012, 10:41 PM

570 posts, read 1,156,399 times
There's nothing to do in Altamonte Springs. While the units are nice, it's a drive to do anything worthwhile. You should look at downtown again. I'm sure you can find some nice 3br condo units for rent by individual owners. Probably looking at 2000 and up for nicer units in downtown but for young people you can't beat the location.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:31 AM

We put a deposit on the 2 bed at the Lofts, then a week later a 3 bed became available. We were able to transfer our deposit and take the 3 bed.

Thanks to everyone for helping us choose our new home. We move on Oct 1.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:55 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,566,923 times
Quote:
We put a deposit on the 2 bed at the Lofts, then a week later a 3 bed became available. We were able to transfer our deposit and take the 3 bed.

Thanks to everyone for helping us choose our new home. We move on Oct 1.
Glad it all worked out for you! Welcome to Orlando. It's a quirky little city that has just about everything if you know where to look!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando